Dear IIFYMers...and everyone else

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Did you get enough "good" carbs (veg, fruits, whole grains) to meet your micronutrient goal (vitamins and minerals, etc)?

Yes? Then fill your boots...or mug...with whatever you want!

IIFYM isn't a pass to eat any and all things within your macros and calories. You still have to think about your overall health.

So let's pretend that I DIDN'T get enough "good" carbs. That I'd planned on having roasted vegetables for dinner but used up my carbs with this icing. Does it change anyone's thinking?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Did you get enough "good" carbs (veg, fruits, whole grains) to meet your micronutrient goal (vitamins and minerals, etc)?

IIFYM isn't a pass to eat any and all things within your macros and calories. You still have to think about your overall health.

So let's pretend that I DIDN'T get enough "good" carbs. That I'd planned on having roasted vegetables for dinner but used up my carbs with this icing. Does it change anyone's thinking?

No. It's one day. Also, in terms of weight loss it doesn't matter. In terms of health, micros and macros are both instrumentally important but a day here or there isn't going to hurt you...how did you eat before? I survived fine on ramen and ice cream with no ill effects. Could I have done better for myself and fit more fruits and veggies in? Sure...but ya know. Humans and things
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I said "a week" and that's what I'm sticking with. Really, it takes less food than you'd think to meet your micronutrient needs. What are you under on?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Nope! I just had 2 cheeseburgers and a value onion ring from burger king. I rarely get fast food. I'm under goal and not worried about a damn thing.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Just focus on eating a diverse diet, and making eating fruits and veggies daily a habit, It's not that complicated. I still rarely eat veggies though because they are Naaaaasty to me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You "feel" better having had it, right?

Mental wellbeing is important too. Nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence once in a while, and especially if it's not going to derail you.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    its maybe a little bit dysfunctional, and I would explore why THATS what made you feel good (it reminds me of my binge eating days) but if you don't find it disturbing I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Chocolate icing in a mug never fits my macros. That's just a treat, and then I move on..
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I don't do any kind of carb limiting, so... No, it doesn't change my thinking. When I look at my caloric and macro/micro requirements, I prioritize them this way: calories (contextually dependent on bulking/cutting), protein (static number), fat (percentage of overall diet), and assorted micros like fiber, vitamins, etc. Yesterday I was only "supposed" to have 160 carbs. Instead I had about 190, and I could not care less about having gone over on them. I was still in a deficit, and I got all the protein/fat/micros I needed.

So if I ate some delicious icing, but I still managed to stay within range of my calorie limits, my protein/fat/micro minimums, but went over on my carbs? Don't care.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a broader look at your diet and stop being so myopic. Even if you didn't hit all of your micronutrients for the day, if you are really following IIFYM the way it is intended then you most certainly would hit them over the course of the week. Contrary to popular belief, IIFYM doesn't mean eat all **** and suck on your nutrition...it means rock your nutrition, but don't worry about a little cake icing from time to time. Personally, that much icing would never fit my macros as I have mine set for optimal nutrition and fitness performance...but whatevs.

I personally think you need to take a big step back so you can see the larger picture...you seem to be drowning in minutia.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

Okay or not okay? And why please.

I genuinely don't understand the question. Maybe I'm dense.

If you treat yourself once in a while, what does it matter? You can be under or over - who cares? As long as the majority of the time you're making healthy choices, some frosting occasionally isn't going to destroy your health (I wouldn't do it everyday, but that's a me thing, not a one size fits all thing).

I feel like there is some sort of "gotcha" in here about emotional eating that we're all being baited for. I don't see anything wrong with emotional eating as long it's it the exception rather than the rule.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

If you treat yourself once in a while, what does it matter? You can be under or over - who cares? As long as the majority of the time you're making healthy choices, some frosting occasionally isn't going to destroy your health (I wouldn't do it everyday, but that's a me thing, not a one size fits all thing).

I feel like there is some sort of "gotcha" in here about emotional eating that we're all being baited for. I don't see anything wrong with emotional eating as long it's it the exception rather than the rule.

Lol, no "gotcha". Just wanted to discuss it a bit.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how you made the chocolate frosting..........because I want to try some.:love:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how you made the chocolate frosting..........because I want to try some.:love:

Yes! Recipe please!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Lol, no "gotcha". Just wanted to discuss it a bit.

Okay, sorry for my assumption.

I really hope you're not beating yourself up about it - if this did happen.

I also super want chocolate frosting now.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I have to say that's just wrong. Why? Because your icing is lacking cake. Where's the cake?

^and sprinkles! I like sprinkles
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    IDK.... If I did that I would soon be eating sugar straight from the canister. Sweets trigger me to binge so I try to stay away. If you can get away with it and IFYM then go for it. It is really up to you how you fill your macros for the day, no one else.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yes! Recipe please!

Uh, yeah, it's against forum rules to post something that sounds good without the recipe. True story. :drinker:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can't see the problem.

The only "problem" is that you checked your macros after you already ate, but that's human and normal and necessary sometimes.