What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking of gluten, I need pizza and I love it when my crust has a bit of protein. Go gluten!

don-t-keep-calm-you-re-gonna-die.png
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Speaking of gluten, I need pizza and I love it when my crust has a bit of protein. Go gluten!

don-t-keep-calm-you-re-gonna-die.png

I'm okay with that. Please pass the bread sticks
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Seitan, Satan

Tomato, tomahto
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    This post does nothing but perpetuate *kitten* that trivializes and delegitimizes real people's medical issues.
    Pulling studies out of your *kitten* isn't going to make millions of people's gluten intolerance magically disappear. Spreading this BS causes food service workers to ignore these concerns and end up endangering people and making them seriously ill because *kitten* like you think that they're faking it.

there is nothing worst for a food service than a "gluten free" person who thinks they know better, trust me people are a lot dumber than they are willing to admit, last week a lady swore up and down she was gluten intollerant as she drank a beer, this happens a lot more often than you think

this just gives "special" people a reason to feel more special
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    actually, re: beer - i have a skin disorder that flares up dramatically when i eat gluten. however, when i ingest SMALL amounts of gluten - like, for example, the amount that is in most beers - my skin disorder usually does not flare up. i still experience brain fog that lasts until the next day, but sometimes i ignore that symptom for the sake of having a beer. my body also does just fine with small amounts of most kinds of soy sauce.
  • nastasiab1
    nastasiab1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This post does nothing but perpetuate *kitten* that trivializes and delegitimizes real people's medical issues.
    Pulling studies out of your *kitten* isn't going to make millions of people's gluten intolerance magically disappear. Spreading this BS causes food service workers to ignore these concerns and end up endangering people and making them seriously ill because *kitten* like you think that they're faking it.

there is nothing worst for a food service than a "gluten free" person who thinks they know better, trust me people are a lot dumber than they are willing to admit, last week a lady swore up and down she was gluten intollerant as she drank a beer, this happens a lot more often than you think

While I do believe that lady might be a little off, there is such a thing as being sensitive enough to be bothered by it, but still going for it anyway if it's not life threatening. For example, I'm lactose intolerant, but that doesn't mean I'll give up all dairy. I just time my dairy consumption with how many days I have off for my body to "remind" me why I hardly consume it. Maybe she was one of those types. After all, she was drinking a beer, so depending on how much she consumed, she could have been planning for one nightmare of a hangover that's escalated by her supposed gluten intolerance. Assuming that gluten intolerance exists, it could be just like every other allergen/intolerance issue that exists and people have different levels of reactions. I can eat certain dairy products and they'll only give me stomach upset, but drink a cup of milk and I'm sick. But other lactose intolerant people can consume a cup of milk and be fine, but drink that second cup, and their day is ruined.

That said, I haven't really joined a side on whether gluten sensitivity exists and how much of it is really related to gluten vs the other chemicals and crap that gets processed with gluten filled foods.
  • iamdee28
    iamdee28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hmm I dont know anything about gluten sensitivity but something is going on with me and pasta/white bread rolls. The pain is so bad that I cant even make the call to the hospital! Im actually scared of pasta. BUT, my hubs bought me some gluten/wheat free pasta to try and I had no bloating or pain. So something has worked there.
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love the god-like pronouncements of some people - I guess it is good to be so sure of ones own opinions ??
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

While I do believe that lady might be a little off, there is such a thing as being sensitive enough to be bothered by it, but still going for it anyway if it's not life threatening. For example, I'm lactose intolerant, but that doesn't mean I'll give up all dairy. I just time my dairy consumption with how many days I have off for my body to "remind" me why I hardly consume it. Maybe she was one of those types. After all, she was drinking a beer, so depending on how much she consumed, she could have been planning for one nightmare of a hangover that's escalated by her supposed gluten intolerance. Assuming that gluten intolerance exists, it could be just like every other allergen/intolerance issue that exists and people have different levels of reactions. I can eat certain dairy products and they'll only give me stomach upset, but drink a cup of milk and I'm sick. But other lactose intolerant people can consume a cup of milk and be fine, but drink that second cup, and their day is ruined.

That said, I haven't really joined a side on whether gluten sensitivity exists and how much of it is really related to gluten vs the other chemicals and crap that gets processed with gluten filled foods.

that may be the case, that doesn't change the fact that these people tend to be rather unbearable to deal with

like the old saying goes "how can you tell if someone's a vegan, oh don't worry, they'll f*cking tell you"

that applies to these alleged "gluten free" people

its one thing to live with celiacs and thats fine

its another to feel special and label one's self "gluten free" for the sake of feeling special and being an *kitten* about it, i see this on an almost daily basis and have seen it for ten years

still doesn't change the fact that people find reason's to be jerks to each other and this is just another reason for it
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    Seitan, Satan

Tomato, tomahto

i'm sure you've heard this before but kudos on your avatar, Dr Manhattan is kind of a bad *kitten* dude
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If some people feel better from going gluten free,why does it bother others.
  • santiagojorgem
    Options
    Love the god-like pronouncements of some people - I guess it is good to be so sure of ones own opinions ??

come talk to me when you've had to cook for these people with their holier than thou gluten free ideology and then tell me how you feel about it afterwards
  • santiagojorgem
    Options

because they tend to be jerks about it when they go eat out, really you should watch these people sometimes
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

It bothers me a great deal if people are being fooled by bad science into believing that one thing is wrong with them if it's actually something else, and they're giving up things they love, sometimes at increased financial expense and decreased satisfaction, if they don't have to. It's call empathy. If there's an answer to these symptoms that is not gluten, wouldn't you want your "gluten sensitive" friends and loved ones to know? Would you want them to be able to eat bread that lacked some other trigger but was affordable, delicious normal bread?
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Done gluten free myself for a couple of years when I had horrible skin issues which cleared up eventually, seems ok now. I have friends that have gluten or lactose intolerances and even vegetarians, god forbid and do you know, they are not jerks or holier than thou and we all muck in to suit everybody. We all have our like and dislikes, medical or not and 'vive la difference'
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Personally I'm just interested in the topic. I find placebo/nocebo effect fascinating.

Also wouldn't you want to know if you went GF and didn't need to do so? I sure would.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hmm I dont know anything about gluten sensitivity but something is going on with me and pasta/white bread rolls. The pain is so bad that I cant even make the call to the hospital! Im actually scared of pasta. BUT, my hubs bought me some gluten/wheat free pasta to try and I had no bloating or pain. So something has worked there.

Get tested before you give up gluten. As has been mentioned in this thread, if you've already gone GF and then you go to the doctor the test will be negative.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My synopsis of this thread:

There was a scientific study of 37 people that irrefutably proves there is no such thing as gluten intolerance

The people concerned with these findings are NOT being jerks and pointing fingers, only concerned there may be more information that needs to be gathered, and that some people who are GF may indeed be better served to find the true answer to their health issues to avoid further damage to their bodies.

A few people have NO empathy for those of us going through these health issues and their contributions have been "In" or oh noes, jump on a bandwagon.

Given I never get involved in these threads I must say I have learned quite a bit about human nature, AND where to go to get REAL information on the issues that plague me.

Interesting thread with a lot of intelligent conversation. I appreciate those that contributed to furthering my knowledge :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

There was a scientific study of 37 people that irrefutably proves there is no such thing as gluten intolerance

The people concerned with these findings are NOT being jerks and pointing fingers, only concerned there may be more information that needs to be gathered, and that some people who are GF may indeed be better served to find the true answer to their health issues to avoid further damage to their bodies.

A few people have NO empathy for those of us going through these health issues and their contributions have been "In" or oh noes, jump on a bandwagon.

Given I never get involved in these threads I must say I have learned quite a bit about human nature, AND where to go to get REAL information on the issues that plague me.

Interesting thread with a lot of intelligent conversation. I appreciate those that contributed to furthering my knowledge :flowerforyou:

I'm assuming that the first sentence was pure sarcasm, but if not then it's not correct. I want to keep repeating this phrase: "this study found no evidence." The rest was a solid summary.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I'm assuming that the first sentence was pure sarcasm, but if not then it's not correct. I want to keep repeating this phrase: "this study found no evidence." The rest was a solid summary.

Yes, sorry. The firs line was pure sarcasm. I am not usually prone to such things, but there it is.

You were giving me much food for thought prior to going off on the "Big Gluten" comments. I learned a lot from this thread. Might not mean much to some, but to me it was well worth the time.