What YOU should know about GLUTEN SENSITIVITY

Options
SnuggleSmacks
SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
It doesn't exist.

This has been proven by the researchers who originally provided evidence of its existence. Their followup research shows that there is no such thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5

Replies

• Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    And what about those with celiac disease?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd have to say that Celiacs would totally disagree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease is not gluten sensitivity. Totally different thing...because celiac disease is real.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I find that many of the people I know who are going gluten free are just jumping onto the fad, i.e. the diet snobs.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not celiac but I can prove that I am gluten sensitive but the foul smelling gas that is emitted from my bowels when I eat gluten .... take my word for it or come visit after a cheat ... your choice :-)
  • thavoice
    Options
    Well, I am not celiac but I can prove that I am gluten sensitive but the foul smelling gas that is emitted from my bowels when I eat gluten .... take my word for it or come visit after a cheat ... your choice :-)
    Heck if that is how it is judged then I am taco bell sensitive for the same reason....
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hmmmm IN
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Heck if that is how it is judged then I am taco bell sensitive for the same reason....

Or just protein....that's what does me in.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

This absolutely made my day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Didn't the scientist who basically create this scare change his tone on gluten as well recently? LOL

:didn't read article yet:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Are you consuming gluten in isolation? There are other dietary components of wheat that could be causing your issues (ie FODMAPs). When the study controlled for these, they found no difference between gluten and placebo.
  • goodlife1206
    goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I assume that by reading an article you think you know the real truth.....but walking in the shoes of those of us with a real, live in the trenches experience and knowledge is another matter. I don't have to wonder if it is real. I live it each day.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've spied a gluten troll, lol. Those of us who have been diagnosed by our MD's as non-celiac but gluten intolerant (perhaps what you mean by gluten sensitive) and who have systemic reactions even if unknowingly ingesting like asthma, skin rashes, and GI issues might beg to differ.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well, I am assuming that you avoid taco bell or protein if that is what those food do to you. Either that or you avoid social interaction due to your foul small. I, on the other hand, avoid gluten. Seems like common sense to me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Are you consuming gluten in isolation? There are other dietary components of wheat that could be causing your issues (ie FODMAPs). When the study controlled for these, they found no difference between gluten and placebo.

This article is on Medscape after the Digestive Disorders Week conference in Chicago about 1 1/2 weeks ago. If anyone wants to read the whole transcript I have posted it in the Gluten Free Discussion Board. FODMAPs can be part of the problem for those that get little relief from being gluten free, but there are others of us who have no problem with other FODMAP foods and THIS is actually what the study shows.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think you mean gluten allergy doesn't exist but the sensitivity definitely does.*
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so in, this is gonna be good.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    so I actually have a wheat sensitivity, as diagnosed by 2 separate allergists, the easiest way to avoid wheat is to go gluten free so call it what you want, people tend to understand gluten free as opposed to wheat free and therefore should they care (which I have not asked them to care)
  • thavoice
    Options
    Well, I am assuming that you avoid taco bell or protein if that is what those food do to you. Either that or you avoid social interaction due to your foul small. I, on the other hand, avoid gluten. Seems like common sense to me.
    Not so sure how much protein is even in their food!

Sure there are legit people who are sensitive to gluten, whatever the heck gluten is, but I hear so many people saying they want to go gluten free for no other reason than it is the "fashionable" thing to do nowadays.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    a lot of ukranians have recently reported putin-sensitivity haha thanks everyone for reading i'll be here all weekend