Fattest girl at the gym

Options
I'm always extremely uncomfortable at the gym because of the fact.. I am the fattest girl at the gym.
All the other girls are in their sports bras and tights & I'm just in there blobbing it. Yes, it makes me want to gym it up more and work-out even harder but at the same time I want to go home and hide away in my room and eat cake and be sad.. hahaha. No but seriously is there anyone else uncomfortable or having negative emotions at the gym because you realize you're the biggest there?

Replies

• sarahep2014
    Options
    Its part of the reason I never go to the gym. I will only run (part walk part run so far using C25K) when I get up at 5:30am before work, not even had the guts to run on an evening due to more people about.

its sad that we feel this way but I guess you have to make a start somewhere and I also guess that most people at the gym are probably feeling positive thoughts towards you being there and not the negative ones we expect, or so I've been told by many gym users anyway!!

Good luck x
  • Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself because your getting out there and doing something about your weight. Where I swim there are many very overweight ladies who swim, and I look at them and think good on you for doing something about it, people who think otherwise are not worth anything. You carry on going to the gym, be proud because you are doing brilliant.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i have the most respect out of anyone for the biggest people at the gym. theyre the ones trying to start new good habits, theyre the ones carrying around 100 extra lbs on that treadmill, theyre the ones who have to work against everything they have gotten used to in their life in order to try and better themselves. its like someone looking at the base of mt. everest and saying "y'know what, *kitten* it, ima climb that f*cker. it may beat the hell out of me, people may think im a fool or my efforts are fruitless, but i will climb"

everyone is self conscious at first, but eventually you realize that most people in the gym are concentrated on their own workouts, and if they arent then they are wasting their time and money at the gym
  • wahoostampingirl
    wahoostampingirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to find a gym where you feel more comfortable. I'm a 47 year old not all that toned, but fairly fit woman. At my regular gym, I feel totally comfortable. It's a large facility where a lot of older people and people doing rehab work out. At another gym I belong to for my kids, I can feel a little out of place watching all the very young girls in their very cute outfits. Sometimes a change in environment is all you need.

And I've been one of the larger women at a gym and it can feel discouraging, but I think most people are too focused on themselves to notice other people very much.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not at the gym, but I run on a greenway trail that's along a busy road and then around a park that's also very busy. I'm feeling awesome while doing it, but am just waiting for the day when someone yells out that I'm a fatty or makes fun of me in-toeing. I know it'll make me feel like crap, but I also know those people can suck an egg. At least I'm out there exercising!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'm almost always the fattest person at the gym. Doesn't bother me. Go in, do your thing, and don't worry about anyone else. Can almost guarantee that they aren't worrying about you.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This is why I workout at home.

I'm not necessarily self conscious, but I don't want people to look at me and be "aww, look at the fat girl trying to get fit! Way to go, fat girl!". That sort of makes me want to punch people in the throat.

You don't need a gym to get fit if you're uncomfortable. But I'm willing to bet none of those thin girls are judging you. And if they are? F 'em.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't see women in my gym dressed like that but I hear about it all the time on MFP. I think it must be a cultural thing depending on where you live. I've seen one woman in a sports bra in CrossFit and never anyone else in a sports bra anywhere.

Having been fat (235 pounds), I generally think the fattest chick in the gym (if she's really working) is the coolest chick in the gym. I know how much harder it is to exercise when you have more weight to carry. Keep at it. I have had lots of people approach me and say, "Wow! I can't believe how much progress you've made. Great job!" That's nice when strangers are cheering you on.

P.S. The other think you may not realize is some of those fit people may have been in your shoes two years ago.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm always extremely uncomfortable at the gym because of the fact.. I am the fattest girl at the gym.
    All the other girls are in their sports bras and tights & I'm just in there blobbing it. Yes, it makes me want to gym it up more and work-out even harder but at the same time I want to go home and hide away in my room and eat cake and be sad.. hahaha. No but seriously is there anyone else uncomfortable or having negative emotions at the gym because you realize you're the biggest there?

I am too :0) at first it was daunting but I'm too selfish to care now, nothing will stop me in my quest to look good in shorts!!!

Zone out and just remember eventually you won't be the fattest xx
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Can you buy some workout clothes that can help you feel more confident? I find myself way less self conscious working out next to super fit people when I'm wearing clothes that make me confident. In my case, that means capris sweatpants, because I'm self conscious about my thighs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you that people in the gym don't really care that much about others. But if asked about the bigger people in the gym, they usually all have the same response.

"It's good to see they are trying to do something about it".

Don't compare yourself to others. Just compare your clothing every few months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i have the most respect out of anyone for the biggest people at the gym. theyre the ones trying to start new good habits, theyre the ones carrying around 100 extra lbs on that treadmill, theyre the ones who have to work against everything they have gotten used to in their life in order to try and better themselves. its like someone looking at the base of mt. everest and saying "y'know what, *kitten* it, ima climb that f*cker. it may beat the hell out of me, people may think im a fool or my efforts are fruitless, but i will climb"

everyone is self conscious at first, but eventually you realize that most people in the gym are concentrated on their own workouts, and if they arent then they are wasting their time and money at the gym

^this

do what you gotta do, dont worry if people are looking at you, which they probably arent anyways. Good luck on your journey!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Gyms are for people who don't need gyms, in my experience.

That said, in bad weather I utilize the gym, and I just mind my own business. Let people think I'm fat - I don't care! But the reason I don't care is that I have mean thoughts about other people too sometimes.

"Who wears a leopard/zebra mesh top?!"

Doesn't mean I think they're bad people. Doesn't mean I think about them at all past that one thought. Doesn't mean I always have those thoughts about all people. We all have opinions, and thoughts, and no one can control them. My advice is just to accept that and do your thing, and realize that sometimes you have the same type of thoughts about other people.

"GOD that woman is skinny! How can she even function?"

Etc. Etc. Etc.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I think I was the biggest girl when I started. Now I'm somewhere in the middle, I suppose. Didn't care then, don't care now. I'm sure nobody else at the gym does either lol.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I was on a elipitcal (wanting to run on treadmill but scared of being judged) then I saw a guy bigger than I not going fast but going and going and going. He spent about 1 hour on that treadmill after that i figured if he can do it so can I been running ever since and I still get self conscious. Do not know if it ever goes away. What I have seen is someone come in and spend more time changing the TV channel on the TV than on the equipment then walk away without even breathing heavy then I hear them tell someone they just got done with HIT. How do you think those people got to look that way becouse they go to the gym.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tend to be judgy of people who are just burning time and 'pretending' to exercise, not based on their size. You'll get more respect as the fat chick who's rocking her workout than the skinny girl who might as well not even be there. That being said, if gymtimidation would keep you from getting in your exercise, you can absolutely rock a work out at home with little or no financial investment.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Also don't forget that some of those "fit" people may have been where you are, right now. People sort of assume that the way you are now, in front of them, is how you've always been. It's just not the case. And honestly, most of the people there are doing their own stuff anyway, so I wouldn't worry so much about them focusing on you.
  • shannongallatin1
    Options
    I absolutely feel the same way! I hate going to the gym. It's definitely motivation but, it does absolutely nothing for my self esteem and confidence. When I go to gym and I'm the only fat one there it is very depressing.
    I have a treadmill in my bedroom at home and considering something else for strength training. My upper body is pathetic!
    We are all going to keep on keeping on and blossom into beautiful butterflies!!!
  • oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You're awesome for being there. You deserve to be there and get healthy. Screw everyone else. Who cares what they think.
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the thinner girls at the gym now (and I used to be in your shoes) and I personally feel incredibly motivated by EVERYONE at the gym, regardless of weight. Props to you for getting out there and changing your life :)

It's YOUR life and you can do whatever you want. Don't let the opinions of others stop you from getting healthy. The gym is a great place for motivation, good equipment, and general knowledge about healthy lifestyles- maybe if you made friends with some of the other ladies/men there you would feel better.

You're doing great! Keep it up!