Fattest girl at the gym

Options

Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Well sometimes when I see my fat tummy through my tight gym shirt I don't know if I should feel motivated to work on it or disgusted by it x3

But what I like even less is I think I'm the weakest girl at the gym! :/
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you should not concern yourself with such thoughts, any decent person is happy for you just because your trying. The others, well they can go screw themselves! Just remember that you won't get in shape over night, it's going to take a long time so take it slow and be proud of the little victories. And no matter what, don't give up, keep pushing yourself a little further each time. Before you know it you'll start to see results.
    Best wishes,
    DW.

To all the girls sweating the fact that they sweat; I can't speak for the other fellows but for me when I see chick sweating her but off, well lets just say I don't find it gross. :wink:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm always extremely uncomfortable at the gym because of the fact.. I am the fattest girl at the gym.
    All the other girls are in their sports bras and tights & I'm just in there blobbing it. Yes, it makes me want to gym it up more and work-out even harder but at the same time I want to go home and hide away in my room and eat cake and be sad.. hahaha. No but seriously is there anyone else uncomfortable or having negative emotions at the gym because you realize you're the biggest there?

you don't need a gym. your body weight is all the resistance you need and outside your front door is all the cardio you will ever need.

set yourself free.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    i'm the slowest runner in my triathlon club. so what?

I was in the bottom of my age group for every race in a 3 race series. And, guess what? Who cares. Doing it and showing up is much more rewarding than giving a rat's hairy *kitten* what others' think.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    I was the biggest guy at my gym when I started.....................but I didn't care
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Who cares Keep going to the gym and neither one of us will be the fattest girsl at the gym
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Hey, it gives you motivation to go harder so that you can look like those people. Also you get a ton of eye candy to stare at while working out so I say have fun! Lol
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym and I see so done who is overweight or old (I mean like 60+) at the gym too all I feel is pride for them. I think hey are awesome - they have taken the decision into their own hands and are doing something about it. They're disregarding the fact that they think everyone is staring at them and thinking negative things about them and just taking control of their lives and their health.
    If you saw me at the gym you would probably think I am one of those "skinny, perfect girls with their hair in a bobble" or whatever the exact phrase was, but bear in mind that I lost 28lbs to get to where I am today. Ok in the grand scheme of things 28lbs isn't a lot compared to those who have like 100+ to lose, but it took me 6 months and I too was uncomfortable at the gym when I started. I'm now pretty much at maintenance but there is always progress to be made. When I go the gym it's not to "show off" what I've got, it's to improve my fitness or to help lose a few pounds that have crept back on or even to burn a few hundred calories so I can pizza!
    Don't judge yourself against anyone else's journey. Your beginning may be their middle, or even, end point. Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you won't be the fattest girl at the gym. You'll be one of the skinny ones that inspires the new fattest girl or guy!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP, I weighed 232lbs and just turned 50. When I went to the gym, I wore baggy cotton knit shorts and oversized men's t-shirts. I was surrounded by younger, fitter, stronger, fast people every time I worked out. But I used that as motivation, thinking "they may laugh at me now (they really weren't laughing - I never heard a negative word directed my way, nor did I received dirty looks or shaking heads), but someday they will be talking about my awesome progress".

Now 16months later, I have lost 48lbs, and as I got dressed for my weekly Saturday morning hike, I realized that my favorite outfit is my sportsbra with racerback bright neon tank, short running shorts, and running shoes. A far cry from hiding my body behind oversized gray sweats and t-shirts.
  • knichole288
    knichole288 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, or think the same sometimes, but you truly have to be confident in yourself. I always tell myself that I don't want to look like anyone else, but be the best version of myself. I've been thin, I know that I love myself that way, and that's what I'm striving towards. Keep working hard, and you'll be joining the sports bra club, but retreat to your home and this cycle never ends. I would rather be uncomfortable at the gym for a month or two while I worked really hard and dropped the pounds, then look back two months down the road and wish I had just went for it. And most importantly, those people are STRANGERS! They don't know you and you don't know them, so who cares what they think or how they look! It's all about you.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Seven years and 100 pounds ago, I was one of the heaviest woman at my gym, the least coordinated and probably the most awkward and least healthy. It was hard and I often tried to talk myself out of going. I didn't listen and eventually I stopped comparing. I'm probably still the oldest, but I doubt any of the rest of those factors that seemed so important at the time still exist Let me just say that I can play all day with my grandchildren all under the age of 5. Last weekend I rode my bike 17 miles, hiked eight miles and swam a mile. So happy I didn't listen to me!

edited for typos.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have totally been there. It bugged me a lot at first, but I kept going. Pretty soon I got so focused on what I was doing that I didn't notice or care. And then one day I looked around and discovered that I wasn't the biggest anymore. I am not the smallest...but I am getting close to being average. I have gotten smaller, but it also seems like more larger people have joined, which is good.

Keep going anyway. In addition to helping yourself, the next time a large girl shows up you might just make her feel more inspired and comfortable just because you are there.
  • RoxyDisaster
    RoxyDisaster Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how this feels. And even when I am not the largest one there I am definitely sweating the most. Either I have a problem or no one is working out hard enough. My solution to this was I now take off my glasses when I'm on the treadmill. I am completely blind and in my own world. lol
  • heathl39
    heathl39 Posts: 46
    Options
    I am not one of the small girls at the gym! The gym I go to is great! Every size and shape belongs and it almost like a little community. We all say to each other and simple talk between work outs. You have to either find a better gym or change your mind set. You are going to the gym for YOU! Remember this is your journey.
  • sophrosyne_
    sophrosyne_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This was me before. But I didn't feel so bad anymore when I saw that I was working harder than most people smaller than me. I felt pretty proud after I looked around and realized that. It doesn't matter your size or speed or duration. It just matters that you're giving it your best. And eventually your best will be faster and longer, and the pounds will come off.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about people looking at you at the gym you aren't working out hard enough
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, you'll be the biggest success story once you are at goal.
    Don't let those others scare you, they should inspire you. I think it's
    admirable you're doing it in the first place. All the best to you. You're going
    at it like a superstar! :)))
  • ccm1912
    ccm1912 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have seen people much bigger than me run much faster and longer than me on the treadmill and i think god DAMN...i need to get to their level! Otherwise, i never have another thought about them, im too focused on my own work out!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just go and do my own thing and try not to think about that.

Some day I will be one of those skinny girls and until then, I WORK FOR IT.