475 lbs and terrified

Options

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I started at 404lbs, and after multiple failed attempts at losing weight, I figured I would end up failing this time round.

I went to my doctor one day and he told me that if I came back next month and my blood pressure was still as high as it was, then he would have to put me on to blood pressure tablets - which I did not want.

^^^^^ That was enough to get e in the right frame of mind to start doing something about it.

I started just cutting calories - no exercise at first. I logged my calories and stayed under, and it worked. That then spurred me on to do even better. Eventually, I started going to the gym and going swimming.

That was 360 days ago. I'm 5 days off my anniversary and I'm down 135lbs (give or take 2lbs, as at the minute I am maintaining, due to work commitments) and I'm healthier than I have been since I was 20 years old (29 years old now)

Start with small steps, slowly introduce exercise as the LBS start to come off, seeing results will only then encourage you to do even better - it kind of becomes addictive.

Feel free to add me!
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. Great advise from everyone and I can't really add anything to it, but add me as a friend and if you ever need to vent, drop me a line.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "The reason that you are a fat ugly slob is that you keep stuffing your fat ugly face with carbohydrates! Cut ALL Sugars and Starches out of your diet, and you will start to lose body fat, on a daily basis. Just drink water. No cheat days, not ever.

You made yourself what you are. So, clearly you don't give a **** about yourself. That's a perfect reason for no one else to give a **** about you either. If you don't want to make yourself better, then no one else can do it for you. " - Anonymous Craigslist poster in a health forum

I've been down this road more than once. I seem to always get started and then watch as things fall apart and as I fail to live up to my own expectations. I am thankful that my health isn't worse. Bloodwork wise, I am completely fine. Musculoskeletally however is a different story. I'm falling apart. My feet don't work the way they should. I have severely collapsed feet to the point where doctors have told me I have to lose the weight so they can go in and reconstruct my feet surgically.

I battle with depression as well. These are not excuses for why I am where I am, but a harsh reality of what I am up against: myself. It's time to win the war and lose the weight I need to lose.

So I guess I am here, 32 years old, 475 lbs, gay, and pretty much unhappy but optimistic, to ask for help, just like I was on that Craigslist forum. This is monumental. I cannot do this by myself. Losing 280 lbs is going to be a helacious roller coaster. I am terrified of failing and of doing poorly but I'm even more scared of becoming bed ridden.

So you can add me as a friend if you like.

And most of all, thanks. I appreciate it.
    Hugs Hon.
    Whether you have 280lbs to lose or 2.8lbs the struggle is exactly the same.
    I know the feeling of getting on the scale, and despairing at the journey I know I have to embark on. I can tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty that, once you start, the day to day minutia of doing it, soon takes over and you will wonder what you were so worried about in the first place.
    You will be fine.
    If I were you I would try not to see it as having to lose 280lbs..how about say just 10% of what you need to lose, the benefits both psychological and physiological will be so apparent, it will motivate you to surge forward with your weight loss dreams.

This is a great place to be.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i don't really have anything to add, other than welcome :flowerforyou: , you'll find some great supportive people here. i've been cleaning up my eating and overall health for about 6 years now, so don't worry if this takes a long time. and if you're looking for a fellow midwesterner i'd be happy to add you as a friend.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Some great advice in this thread - I think most of the main points I was going to suggest have been brought up.

I started out at 503lbs myself, and here are a couple of my suggestions that may differ from the norm...

1. First off - listen to Ed

2. Focus on being happier right now. Obviously, depression is not to be easily dismissed, but that isn't what I am talking about. I refuse to weigh in on that subject because that is something for a Doctor to discuss and it is entirely out of my element. That said, I think everyone can take some steps towards general happiness BEFORE they lose the weight.

I can't tell you that losing weight will help you be happier, but I feel very confident, that being happier will help you lose weight.

It might be impossible but try to find something outside of fitness/weight loss that you can embrace. Be it a new hobby, a new job, or following your passion. I don't care if that sounds hokey at all either. I know that my weight loss coincided with finding my business path/success.

You can also cut out people in your life that don't make you happy. It's cold in someways, selfish in others - but again massive help for me.

3. Do not fight your diet. This quote sums up my thoughts on this...

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition" --Alan Aragon

Don't worry about all the nonsense you will hear about bad carbs, evil sugar, processed foods, "junk" foods, refined wheat, saturated fat etc... Don't worry about the gentleman earlier telling you to only eat fruits and vegetables until you are stuffed - unless that is your preference. Find a diet that most easily allows you to sustain a caloric deficit.

This is a long *kitten* journey, the more you have to fight your diet, the harder it is.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would like to recommend that you see a Dr. Start logging your calories. Do this slowly and safely. Don't listen to mean people. You can do this one day at a time.:wink:
  • monikabenoit
    monikabenoit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You are doing great by asking for help and staying positive! As long as you stay active - trying to move around as much as possible every single day, you will move in the right direction. Have you replaced sugary beverages with water? That is always a great step!

Stay strong - you can get healthier no matter what - you are amazing! Health and fitness are always a journey no matter where you are on the journey now you can move in the direction you want go with persistence and focus! You can do anything you put your mind to!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I sa be afraid and let the fear guide you down the right path. It looks like you are well on your way by finding mfp. We all have been in your shoes tho some shoes are bigger and some are smaller. We all have taken that first terrifying step into the unknown.
    It will get easier and there will be hard and scary days. We all have them. So lean on us. Your friends. We are in this thing together.

Cheers Cindy
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How's your first week been, OP?

One note: I'd definitely try to get some medical assistance, as in check in with your doctor and maybe see a nutritionist. If you're given the clear to work out, maybe see if there's a trainer who can help you get started on basic, appropriate exercises for you.

Also, remember: perseverance. You might have heard the phrase something along the lines of "you didn't put the weight on in a week, so it won't come off in a week." Keep this concept in mind when it seems like everything is slow-going.

If anyone criticizes you or makes fun of your weight, etc, know that it reflects more on them than on you. His or her insecurities are on display, not you. A friend of mine was about 260 pounds when she started doing crossfit and lost about 25 pounds last year and has gained a ton of physical strength. When she was working out at a park with her crossfit gym recently, so idiot yelled at her, something like "look at the fat girl run." Her response? "At least I'm out here doing it." Know that you, too, are making the changes you need to make for a healthy you.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi there - you are getting a great bunch of advice here - some of it might be contradictory at first but that's because there are so many ways people have found for motivation to lose their weight. Ed's weight loss is certainly inspirational.

I started a thread here some years ago for people with lots of weight to lose and its turned into a community of support for people like us. We are always kind and never insulting. If you (or anyone stopping by here) are interested in a daily read, stop by this thread, and you can join it just by posting to it. It is for anyone and everyone. You don't have to have at least 100 lbs to lose to be a member. Here's a link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1298214-need-to-lose-100-lbs-robins-thread

Hope you stop on by and check us out!
  • Deborah271
    Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there, don't be so hard on yourself, just take one day at a time and one pound at a time, remember we're not perfect. I believe that each and every one of us has his/her cross to carry in life, mine happens to be food addiction, I'll always be a food addict. I to am trying to lose weight and I also struggle with depression if I don't look after myself, today I started to exercise, I managed to do 40 minutes of walking but If I could only do 10 minutes that would of been better than nothing. I find exercise is not only good for weight loss but also helps me with bouts of depression. I'm wishing you all the very best, you can do this!!! Add me as a friend if you like, take care and hugs to you.:flowerforyou:
  • geminirooster2013
    Options
    So I guess I am here, 32 years old, 475 lbs, gay, and pretty much unhappy but optimistic, to ask for help, just like I was on that Craigslist forum. This is monumental. I cannot do this by myself. Losing 280 lbs is going to be a helacious roller coaster. I am terrified of failing and of doing poorly but I'm even more scared of becoming bed ridden.
    Don't worry about what some *kitten* on CL said about you. They don't know you and mean absolutely nothing. You can do anything you put your mind to! Are you working with a beriatric doctor also?

No, I don't think I could afford that surgery.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. If you screw up and have a day where your eating sucks, get back on the wagon the next day. Don't beat yourself up for it. Sounds like you're pretty hard on yourself. It's good to a point to be hard on yourself, but you don't want to do it to the extent that you have a gob of self-loathing. Makes it hard to find motivation to take care of yourself and realize that you deserve a happy and healthy life.

I'm going to second that you may want to get some bupropian (?) from your doc. It also goes by Wellbutrin. The others they offer first, like Lexapro, as someone else said, cause way too much sleeping to happen, take away any sex drive you might have and make you want to eat more. I'm a huge fan of Wellbutrin.

Best wishes!!
  • geminirooster2013
    Options
    How's your first week been, OP?

One note: I'd definitely try to get some medical assistance, as in check in with your doctor and maybe see a nutritionist. If you're given the clear to work out, maybe see if there's a trainer who can help you get started on basic, appropriate exercises for you.

Also, remember: perseverance. You might have heard the phrase something along the lines of "you didn't put the weight on in a week, so it won't come off in a week." Keep this concept in mind when it seems like everything is slow-going.

If anyone criticizes you or makes fun of your weight, etc, know that it reflects more on them than on you. His or her insecurities are on display, not you. A friend of mine was about 260 pounds when she started doing crossfit and lost about 25 pounds last year and has gained a ton of physical strength. When she was working out at a park with her crossfit gym recently, so idiot yelled at her, something like "look at the fat girl run." Her response? "At least I'm out here doing it." Know that you, too, are making the changes you need to make for a healthy you.

Thanks for the post! I just started today!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I started at 376 in April, 2011.

I've heard people say "you are where you are because that's where you want to be." Well, I never wanted to be 376 pounds. People don't want to be 475 pounds either. We know how we got there but didn't know enough about what to do to change our path.

I battle depression too. It's part-and-parcel of this weird hormone imbalance I have. So I take happy pills (anti-depressant). It is NOT a sin to do so - particularly if it helps you not be such a stinker around your family.

Losing weight has more to do with what you put in your body than what you do with your body. Exercise is a good thing, but learning how to eat better is more important, especially starting right out of the gate.

Getting a therapist to talk to would be a GREAT idea. Particularly someone who has "been there". The guy I see has had gastric bypass surgery and was about 450 when he started ( I think....I know he was in the 4's).

See a dietician. They can help work with you towards making better choices.

Here's some things that have helped me along the way:

Focus on protein, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves

If you have a snack, have something protein or fiber (preferably both) before you have something carb/fat.

Drink lots of water.

Get a fitbit. It'll tell you how many calories you've burned vs. how many you've eaten, and it syncs with MFP. It really is true that it's all about calories in vs. calories out. This way, if you go over on what MFP tells you (for example 1500 calories) and you're still a little hungry, you can have something worth about 100 calories because you know you'll have burned about 2000plus for the day and not feel guilty for going over the 1500. Hope that makes sense.

1 snack I keep around is light string cheese. Another I use is chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com and you can get coupon codes off of www.retailmenot.com). Those help with fiber too.

Greek yogurt is also great.

It's trie too - if you can portion out things like pretzel's into snack bags (20 pretzels is a serving and is about 120 calories(, then it makes things easier.

Really - you can do this. If I can, anybody can. It just takes being willing to be uncomfortable enough to get started.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what some *kitten* on CL said about you. They don't know you and mean absolutely nothing. You can do anything you put your mind to! Are you working with a beriatric doctor also?

If you have insurance, it may be fully covered.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add a wonderful person to this wonderful place. Please don't be so hard on yourself--it's so hurtful to yourself that you call yourself horrible things. When you think those things you can even talk yourself into a downward spiral and toward failure and you know inside your heart that's not what you want for yourself.

I agree with so many of the people here who say not to worry about what you eat, but to concentrate more on portion control and logging. I'd also be less worried about the kind of exercise you get and the duration and just worry about getting out there and exercising at all. If you can spend five minutes walking that's five fewer minutes spent stationary. Those five minutes can become 10 and later 15. It's just a matter of getting started and sticking with it.

Please keep up updated on how you're doing. You're among friends here and we really want to see you succeed.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its all been said.
    Focusing on health has been more successful than superficial stuff like looks for me.
    Slow and steady wins the race, strangely enough.
    I didn't exercise to start with, if you want get one of those step counters try that but honestly calorie deficit loses more weight to start with.
    I now swim cause its great for joint protection and has zero impact.
    You will lose weight. At the moment I am still losing but my thinking says not fast enough.
    We aren't always our own best friend.
    I didn't bother to mention my changes to anyone around me (to start with) as they are full of advice good and bad, its confusing.
    On MFP most advice is based on what has worked for someone, try what sounds appealing.
    I sincerely hope you can make something work for you.
    Not eating between meals can sometimes help create order out of the chaos of over eating - not forever but merely a small step in the right direction.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Depending on your insurance, this may actually be covered. And Bariatric docs don't just do surgery, some will actually create a customized weight loss plan with you and make appointments to keep you on goal. I know for me, it's a lot easier to stick with it when I know I am going to have someone checking the scale and examining my intake with a fine toothed comb!

Again, pointing back to your insurance, it's good to have your attempts at weight loss documented with an actual medical history. Then if you try to go back for other surgeries related to weight loss (like your foot reconstruction or skin removal or even gastric bypass) then you have a detailed history of your commitment to taking care of your body and the insurance company is more likely to work with you.

Just a thought!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Here comes the hard part: logging calories. it takes time, energy, thinking. When you are new you don't know how many calories something has. it takes ages looking them all up, adding them... but after a few weeks you start to get a body of things you always eat, so you don't have to go looking, they're in your favourites.

that's when life starts to get a bit easier.

As you log and as you weigh and as you lose it gets easier.

This. It was so hard at first, and it took me months to really get into it, but eventually it'll become second nature.

Good luck! It's hard, but it's totally doable, and you'll do great. :D