WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello Eieen in San Diego:bigsmile: Have a son who lives in Ramona. Just love to visit there.

Jane you did the right thing and I know in your Mom's heart she already is aware of how much you care and love her. This role reversal that occurs where our children begin to merge into our caretakers is a challenge. I think my sons have exceeded in all I ever expected of them. Since the death of my husband they have also worn many hats. I struggle with keeping them involved but yet holding onto my own independance. My husbands mother was 70 when she moved in with us. It was hard for sure, but goodness the great love she shared with all of us and the stories of her life grew our family and expanded our hearts. My son's learned to open up and mostly they grew out some of their selfish attitudes real quick. Everyone has to find their own way but what worked the best for me when I had to confront her with unpleasant topics, I would gently reach and hold her hand (after I had prayed for wisdom) and just look her directly in the eyes and speak firmly. The worst for me was when we had to stop her from cooking.....she nearly burned my house down:frown: . I loved her cooking too and coming home from work with cooked meal on the table was wonderful. Sadly:sad: we had to stop her but I always put her in the kitchen when I was home to help me cook and as time passed she and I shared the most wonderful times...oops too much info.....just have confidence in yourself and reassure her of your love no matter.....God bless you that you care so much:heart: . Sadly some children don't.

Welcome to the lady from Missouri...another beautiful place in America. Glad to have you own board:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the info on gardening and counting calories. I will use that and see how it goes.

Signing off for the day. Goodnight to all from Nena in Texas:yawn:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nena, I don't live that far from Ramona. I'm actually in Santee...on the eastern side of San Diego. If you're ever around for a visit, we should get together.

Eileen NEAR San Diego
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did 2 DVD's on that Supreme 90 Day Challenge set, shoulders and arms and what they call total body. Each was about 30 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't call the one DVD "total body". Tomorrow I'm planning to do a bellydance DVD that I have. Update: I'm thinking too much of Bryan and he gave me that DVD so I'm going to change to a Leslie Sansone walking DVD.

Jessica came here last night. Right now she's gone to drop off her car to have them repair it. As soon as she gets home, we'll go to the post office so I can mail Denise's birthday package and then to WalMart. Jessica wants to grill outside and I don't have anything to grill. Did take some lasagna out of the freezer and defrosted it. We can always have that as a backup, but I don't think we'll need a backup today.

Nena - glad you had such a good time at gd's concert. Sometimes you just have to go over on the calories, just watching what you do eat certainly helps

Joyce - big congrats on walking 2 miles! What an accomplishment for you! You should be proud

I FINALLY talked Vince into putting on the mattress cover and it ripped. So looks like I'll have to buy a new one. He couldn't understand why I wanted to get the bed made....men! Update: got a new one at Target (WalMart only had the one type that ripped so I didn't want to get it again, Kohl's didn't have any zippered ones so had to go to Target. Put it on the bed, went to put the mattress pad on and a cat had pee'd on it (like I predicted would happen) so I have to wash it and now it's drying, we'll probably be able to make up the bed tomorrow.

Heather - that's interesting about Lowest Maintainable Weight. Makes me wonder if that's not where I am right now. I would love to get rid of some of this extra skin, but, unfortunately, it seems the only way to do that is surgery and I'm not about to pay for it or go under the knife. It just isn't worth it to me

Margaret - when my kids were little and taking swim lesson, I never took my eyes off them. I used to sit poolside. Then the Y (this was after my kids finished the lessons) only wanted the parents to stand outside this window area. Wonder if its still that way?

Deb - please share with us the info you gleaned at the Wellness Fair. What is the proper way to jump? Have fun kayaking

Kim - one of the things that I'm constantly amazed at is how I really more and more don't care for unhealthy food and actually crave healthier things. To me, the biggest problem comes in when you go out, people always want to put sauces and stuff on veges. I'd rather taste the vege.

yanniejannie - oh how I can relate to your feeling about your dd's future. Bryan graduated Suma Cum Laude with majors in Poly Sci and Philosophy (? sp). He was the one of my children who was always in the gifted classes. So what is he doing now? Teaching English (how hard is that from someone who comes from America?) How I remember him spending hours and hours making these elaborate drawings and buildings. So what's he doing now? Playing roller hockey. He's never once come to the US to see us, not even attempted it. His sister has paid her way over there multiple times. He was working in the computer dept. when he went to Elon, was renting a house with a few others and had everything in his name. So what's he doing now? Getting married for convenience sake. I can go on and on

Meg - hope you had a great lunch

jane - your caring for your mom is very admirable. Continue to show your concern. She might be feeling a bit like she wants to be more independent

Today exercised, then went to the post office to mail Denise's birthday present and then to WalMart (since Jess didn't want to go with me). Came home and made a chocolate chip chocolate cake for Jess to take back with her (and anything else I can think of to give her). Went to the mall with Jess. Really, I probably should have stayed home but I thought it might be good to go shopping with her. She got a new bathingsuit and 2 pairs of Capris. It's really interesting, she'll spend $$$ on clothing, I'll go to the Salvation Army before I'll spend $25 for a pair of Capris. But that's just how different we are. Went to church since I had to lector, Jess made these twice baked potatoes, not bad but I think a bit underdone, she wanted London Broil so I got one for her and Vince, I had a veggie burger and portobello mushroom. She wanted corn on the cob, got some at WalMart. I don't like buying corn in the grocery store, I usually get mine at the farmer's market. I don't know if it's that the corn needed to be cooked longer or what, but to me it was so starchy! I honestly didn't eat even half of it.

Sylvia - I totally and completely agree with everything Kim said to you. Get to a doc asap Falling in a pool is no light matter

Vickim - welcome back!

Webbk - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, still feeling very quiet and a bit vulnerable (the pet lovers will understand that), but doing OK. Haven't posted much but I am reading everything and hoping for the best for everyone with "issues".

I lost another pound, in addition to the couple I gained stress eating. So that's not bad.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cynthia:smile: I so understand:flowerforyou: ! Congrats on the pound gone:bigsmile: !!!!

Jane Martin:smile: I would have done the same thing, and like someone else said, I would not have apologized for it either! Your mom is lucky to have you checking on her!

Sylvia:smile: Let me continue to echo the others.....get yourself to a doctor ASAP!:flowerforyou:

Margaret:smile: When my daughter took swimming lessons at our Y, the parents were not allowed to watch, we only got to go in when they had the graduation from the class. I was a nervous wreak! We had a pool at our old house, and no one was allowed in unless someone else was out there too!

I've read all the posts, however I have no more time:sad: ! Have a wonderful Sunday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in Nc:glasses:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Just about to make egg sandwiches with the mustard and cress I have been growing on the kitchen windowsill. Carefully watering it every morning.:bigsmile: Yesterday we had ham and watercress sandwiches. Our county, Hampshire, is famous for watercress as we have a clear, chalk stream, the Itchen, running through the county. I bought the watercress from a farm shop.:bigsmile: I always weigh my bread and it comes to 4 oz. It is "low GI", which basically means wholemeal granary with extra seeds. Delicious! We have to drive to the bakery that makes it and we freeze the loaves cut in half so it's always fresh.
    Tonight it's Tandoori Chicken. I love it and it's really low in calories. With our broad beans and a raita.

Quiet day today. Yesterday I got our visa waiver done for NYC, so I'm on my way! ! ! ! I've got a couple of books to read about the city, so I should be well prepared by my birthday! ! ! :laugh: (We are leaving on 30th September) ! ! ! ! :tongue:
    I want to ask the people who own our holiday home in France over for dinner in June, when they get back from their house, so will have to look at my diary and organise a slimming meal because the wife is on a diet. :wink:

Must get off to cook my eggs.

Love Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn......another beautiful day here & same for tomorrow. People won't get soaked at their Vets day ceremonies/parades & cook outs.A welcome change.Congrats to our vets who fought to keep us safe at home & continue to do so.:flowerforyou:

DH was watching BB last eve. I went on to bed & slept great.My opinion of BB is,how much longer can it last? :sad: :sad: Ah,well
    At least I don't have to watch it :noway:

Flowers on the deck & window boxes on front of house are doing well. Mostly petunias & sunny begonias. The older I get,the more I go for flowers that are easy to grow.

Making All recipes chicken recipe in slo cooker today.Have pasta salad made....with more veggies than pasta:bigsmile: Dessert is strawberry triffel.Tomorrow will be whatever.......

Sylvia........I was shocked to read the list of symptoms ignored.Especially for a heart patient :cry: Get yourself to a Dr,then take better care !! Nearly passing out in the pool is bad news,or you might do the same when driving:grumble: Very scary for your family.

Time to get dressed & make a quick stop at Krogers for the cake. Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day wk end........Pat in Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Michelle and Deedee your instincts are right on. I was a lifeguard and swimming instructor in my youth. It never bothered me to have parents right there. I still use the technique of not letting my guard down when children are at play at recess and I constantly scan. I also try not to get involved in conversation with a fellow teacher when supervising children. It is so much better to prevent an accident than have one.

It still helps me even with my experience to be reminded how quickly children can get into trouble around a body of water.

:flowerforyou: Have a wonderful safe Memorial Day weekend everyone.:flowerforyou:

:heart:
    Margaret
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Not much time this morning but wanted to say hello. In spite of going over my calories yesterday I was down 1/2 pound this morning. I think it was portion control.

Michele, I agree with you on craving healthy food. I don't like my veggies buried under sauce or cheese. The one thing that has really changed for me the last year is not wanting much cheese in or on my food.:smile:

Cynthia, I completely understand. I lost my baby Theo last October. I tear up when I think of him still, it's hard to lose the unconditional love our pets give us.:sad: :brokenheart:

Welcome new ladies.:flowerforyou:

Have a nice day everyone!

Cindy in OK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your concern. I will certainly call the doctor on Tuesday. I promise. Last night I ate lots of food, (I even had coconut cream pie which put me 100 over on calories for the day), drank lots of water, and felt a lot better. So far this morning I don't feel dizzy, although I didn't get much sleep because I had to get up to go to the bathroom about a dozen times from all that water I drank. Today I will start drinking earlier. I'd like to talk to the doctor about the whole low salt diet thing too. Hubby thinks maybe I'm not getting enough salt.

We are out at the lake cabin this morning, and it's really beautiful outside. Bruno and I went down to the dock very early and woke up a great blue heron who was sleeping there. He let out a big squawk that sounded like a rusty gate, and flapped his enormous wings and flew away. I felt bad. Bruno was startled. I don't think he's ever seen a bird that big before, or that close.

We got up early so we could leave early and take the dogs home before we drive over to see my sister. Hubby says we need to leave by 10:00, so he tells me to get ready to leave at 9:00, because he thinks I dawdle. Hah! It's not me who dawdles.

Jane, I don't see that you had any choice but to call the cops. You did the right thing.

Michele, we just removed a zippered mattress cover from our mattress. We got it at bed, bath and beyond. It was making both of us terribly hot at night, even with a quilted cotton mattress pad over it. It's much better now. I'm used to night sweats, so I thought it was just me, but hubby was having them too, so we finally figured out it was the mattress cover.

Gotta go get in the shower so I don't dawdle. Have a great Sunday!

Sylvia
  • ckbell46
    ckbell46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Candace. I am 68 years old. I live in Alaska and am new to MFP, having logged just 6 days so far. Over the past few years I have lost 60 lbs but have been on a plateau for a very long time so I need to make some changes. I am trying to avoid health problems that have recurred in my family. How fabulous that there is a forum for women closer to my age!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Candace. I am 68 years old. I live in Alaska and am new to MFP, having logged just 6 days so far. Over the past few years I have lost 60 lbs but have been on a plateau for a very long time so I need to make some changes. I am trying to avoid health problems that have recurred in my family. How fabulous that there is a forum for women closer to my age!

Welcome, Candace. There are several 60+ ladies on this forum, myself included. I hope you will feel at home here. We are a diverse group, yet have so much in common too. I wish you well on your health journey.

DD is getting tired of being pregnant. Couple more weeks and then she will hold another little boy in her arms.

Sylvia, I echo others' concerns about finding a doctor who knows what to do.

DH and I went to see the movie FED UP the other day. It underlines the enormous health problems linked to obesity, focusing in particular on child obesity and the previously unheard of occurrence of type II diabetes in children. I recommend to see the movie.

Last night, we had roasted chicken and kale salad for dinner. DH is going to plant kale in the garden again this year. It is the kind that's a little softer.

My profile picture is of our rhododendron bush in front of our house. It's glorious red blooms are in full display.

Have a nice Sunday, my lovely MFP friends. I need to work on some bookkeeping today.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I hope you all have had a good day today. We went out to the cemetary to visit my parents and oldest sister. My sister's grave site was donated to us when she died by a family in our church. They had a little girl out there and Donna was buried right behind her. Many years later when Mom and Dad moved back to southern Indiana and they were looking to buy burial plots the two spots right beside their daughter were still available. It is real nice to see them all. All of the siblings names were put on the the headstone when Dad died. My sister's body is to be donated for science when she dies and her husband doesn't want any cremated remains so any unused parts will just be disposed of. So my parents headstone is the only place we will be able to go to for my sister. I brought the flag home that the American legion had placed on all the graves and put it in front of my azalea bush.

Well daughter is here, time to go eat.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    thought I had a whole page written, and the computer deleted it:grumble:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Had a fabulous day kayaking on a nearby lake. I talked my sister into coming with me and let her choose how far to go. We were on the water for about 2.5 hours. It felt great. I felt energized, but my sister said her arms felt like jello afterwards. Hope she isn't too sore tomorrow. I may never get her to go again! The day was perfect: sunny, clear blue sky, and a moderate breeze.

Now I should get busy doing schoolwork.:grumble:

Michele- As far as "proper form" for jumping: Keep knees"soft", land on balls of your feet, and keep your knees at a 40 degree bend. This is supposed to let your muscles absorb the impact instead of your joints. I have lots of problems with keeping proper form in any exercise I do. My brain and my muscles don't seem to communicate too well. I really enjoyed the cardio/kickboxing class. I was sore in all the areas I want to work on.

Hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy some sunshine this weekend. What a difference it makes in my mood!

Deb A in CNY
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    just popping in to say hi, it's a work day for me since I played a couple of days this week.... The weather here is beautiful, warm and sunny with just enough of a breeze to be perfect.

Heather – water cress is not veggie I grew up with, I have seen it in the stores, but not bought it – is it used as a lettuce? Or like parsley??? I like tandoori chicken but have never made it, and just googled it for a recipe and the first one said a serving was 700+ calories, and the second one called for 1/2 bottle of red food coloring.... can you share your recipe; please!!!

Candace – welcome!

back to work, just one more thing to finish and I am calling it a day.

Kim
    N. California
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Bodi is home. Now the real work begins. He is not supposed to move around much except for physical therapy and when we express his bladder. He wants to play with Ritter but they can't he doesn't get why. This will be challenging.

Robin, Bodi andRitter
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Just checking in ladies. I had another good day. I ate very well and hubby and I worked out in the yard most of day. We are putting a fence up for the dog so she can have her own space. she has been loose in our big yard and has torn up everything in the yard. She is a lab and they are so playful but loves to chew. She chewed the cord off of the pool pump, she chewed the cord off of the septic tank motor. She chewed the seat off of my husband's motor bike. There are many other things but we decided to fence in the back of the yard so she can have her own space and we can have our pool and yard back. We are taking a break and then will go to the gym to workout. I tried to read a lot of posts but am short on time. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.
    vicki
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wonderful Sunday, spring has sprung in the hot south of CA!

Hope you all have a wonderful day of rest and refreshment. Today, I once more learned the value of planning ahead and
    conscious eating. It is my GD#1 's first birthday...and a big family party. I had the green salad and water, and two bites of cake.

What is so frightening for me is how easy it is to "forget" what I ate. I am really clear today because of the control I excercised.....
    like us all, I do not always believe that control is with me. Today it was, and I am grateful.

Hope you are all grateful for something today too!

BJ, SWOnt
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Robin,

That is great that he is home! Thinking of you and Bodi and Ritter. Hoping he continues to improve.

Cindy in OK
    Bodi is home. Now the real work begins. He is not supposed to move around much except for physical therapy and when we express his bladder. He wants to play with Ritter but they can't he doesn't get why. This will be challenging.

Robin, Bodi andRitter