Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pasta! A tiny 85g handful of dry spaghetti is barely the diameter of a quarter, but it packs around 300 calories. Cooked and on a plate it barely make a hump and lays mostly flat. Now imagine how many calories those heaping mounds of restaurant pasta dishes with rich sauces, cheese, and meat must contain.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Everything from the Cheesecake Factory. I mean everything. Appalling.

Their skinnylicious menu is delicious and under 600 calories. Just saying.

Awwww...Cheesecake Factory gets a bad rap. Realistically, for the size of their meals, the calories aren't bad. I get crispy chicken Costaletta. I get THREE meals out of it. Less than 450 calories each (I think...can't remember exactly). Then I split the cheesecake in half. With the cheesecake it's a huge calorie meal (900 plus calories), but so totally worth it!
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, here's one which I have in common with all you guys over the pond... Cinnabon. We have that here too (UK) and the calorie and fat information is eye watering. We've stopped buying those as treats at work and the whole team looks thinner already.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    the mini blizzard at DQ, its like 5 bites and 350 calories...I wasn't happy about it lol now I save up and once a month get a big blizzard and say screw it :P...
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter, Mayo, Strawberry Slushy from Sonic... GOD I miss that slushy.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Remember that for a 'normal' person not on a calorie deficit, who's a bit active they may be looking to eat around 3000 calories a day.
    If you have, say, cereal for breakfast and a lunch of a sandwich and crisps/fruit say' something like 2000 calories for an evening meal while eating out is quite reasonable.

Of course, for a sedentary person on a deficit who's already had (relative to their intake) larger meals earlier to try and stave off hunger, it's going to be a different matter.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Easter candy.. I mean if a mini egg has 50 calories and 5 is the MINIMUM I would consider eating, that's 250 calories right there when strictly watching myself.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    there is so much ....
    omg soo much , but honestly i have been a somewhat diligent calorie watcher for a long time ...so i have been aware , just not paying as much attention as i should have...

the things that are high in calories that still anger/amaze/shock me ...
    peanut butter - i love you , why must i choose..
    grapenuts - seriously i know its 8 grams protein and all, but 210 cals ?

Eclairs... i mean seriously , WTF - ive made homeade eclairs they are mostly AIR!!
    same with Cream puffs, i know its the filling...( has anyone ever been to the wisconsin state fair???** you know what i am talking about**

of course anything from any fast food place ... i managed a Taco Bell for 5 years, needless to say most of my meals were there ... no wonder i gained ( course was preggo during part of that too)... but still...

and we used to trade "break time meals" with the Fazolis across the intersection!!!

on the topic of easter candy, cadburys caramel easter egg...- egads i love caramel... why oh why...
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Three of my triathlon friends and I went out to ihop after swim practice the other day. We all had the "pick-a-pancake".. so two pancakes, eggs, hash browns and sausage.. 1100 calories!! yikes! we only burned about 300 in swim. The other one was the cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera.. 420cals! its so easy to eat over your cals.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter, Mayo, Strawberry Slushy from Sonic... GOD I miss that slushy.

I had a moment with this post.

At first I thought it was a Peanut Butter-Mayo-Strawberry Slushie.

Not peanut butter, mayo, and strawberry slushies as 3 separate items.

:sick:

Carry on.
  • WayneBT
    WayneBT Posts: 4
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Definitely Cereal, whether its a healthier brand like Special K or Cheerios by the time I eat what is actually 4-5 servings and add it non-fat milk its a 3rd of my daily calorie intake.

I still go out to eat if I plan around it but often find that fry calories can vary from bad to "wtf srsly?" real quick. Wingstop fries used to be one of my favorites (especially with ranch) but comes out close to 800 calories! Also sodium levels are through the roof if you're not eating everything natural, IE any canned goods or frozen dinners are just packed with the stuff.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The Blizzards at Dairy Queen and the Milk Shakes at Sonic were a huge punch in the feels for me. Last summer when they were doing 1/2 priced shakes after 8 I would get the biggest friggen peanut butter fudge shake, or the oreo cheesecake shake. I looked those up this summer when they had them back...I didn't get any this summer. I would have had all my daily calories in one shake. :(

My body better be smoking hot pretty soon after giving those up. lol I loved them summabitches.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bagels really annoy me. They are pretty high in calories and do nothing for my hunger wise. I don't know why I even bother with them...but they are so delicious...
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    KFC 2 piece feed :( I think that's really the only thing I miss. 2000+ calories if you get the large. I've been 'clean'eating for a while now and all the other things like chocolates and cake I don't crave.... But that damned chicken.....
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Now that I know how many calories are in my favorite foods, I'm actually extremely surprised that I never got chunky - particularly in college since that's when my activity level drastically decreased.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Craft beer. Usually very high alcohol, which means very high calorie. 1 pint can be 300-400 calories. I find myself ordering more European beer and less American craft beers.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Tim Horton's extra large double-double is 320 calories.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A cup of grapes - I was surprised that they basically consume 80% of my sugars macro.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    itodd4019 wrote: »
    Oh, and that there were 17 servings in a 750 mil of alchol! That's friggin 1870 cals in that bottle of rum. With a 12 back of bud light, another 1560, That's a one pound gain for that weekend day!!! Let alone all the food we ate!!" <-- omg, 2 be 20 again!!!

If you're drinking a fifth of rum and a 12 pack of beer in a day, you have way bigger problems than how many calories you're consuming...
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I realized that I wasnt eating near the amount I needed to be and that it was part of the contribution of the drop in metabolism. I still struggle to get the appropriate amount of calories when I work because patients come before anything . I can fill in calories with a quick shake, but I am always over on my protein intake.

I think people forget and when you log in your diet here , it reminds you that too few calories will put a dent in your weight loss by putting your body in starvation mode.

Reading this post gives me an idea where I can add calories . No issue working out I just need to be able to fuel my body better.

great thread