Want to run but..shin splints

Options
2»

Replies

• _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would take a break for awhile, shin splints are actually not something you should run through. However you should see if it's not shin splints and just the muscle that runs from your foot to knee. I ran across country and had a big problem with it but once I started stretching and doing some work with resistance bands I got much better :)
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Last time I tried to learn how to run, I ended up with a referral to a PT over those dang shin splints. Unfortunately, I just stopped bothering and never actually went to the appointment.

I wish I had, though, because then I'd have something useful to add instead of just gobs of sympathy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I get horrid shin splints and my old boss (who does the 100km Oxfam walk and a myriad of runs) told me to spend 5 minutes a night kneeling with my toes pointed back with my butt on my heels to push the stretch. You can feel the stretch down your shins and it was helping last time I did it. I'm starting Zombies, Run 5k and need to start the stretches again as I've been getting nasty shin splits again.
    I'd suggest also doing some work with resistance bands or sandbags to strengthen the shin muscle. A strength imbalance can be a contributor to the problem.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like the exercises you guys sent. I will start doing some and see if I get big shins! Hopefully! ;)
  • lightfaststrongfierce
    Options
    If you've only just picked up running, shin splints are totally fine to run with. They'll go away after your shins adapt to the new load. However if you've been running a while and you get shin splints that don't go away, don't be an idiot like me and continue running. STOP. I ended up getting a shin stress fracture that put me off running for six months... Not fun, especially not for my weight.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have shin splints now too. I power walked and ran Saturday and now they are killing me. I have a little roller with nubbins that I used to massage it last night. I also read to ice them and give them time to heal. I rode a stationary bike at the gym this morning and that didn't bother them at all. Hope yours get better soon for you!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used the following stretches to help my shin splints.
    http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html
    Also, make sure you are wearing proper shoes. I ended up tracing mine back to the shoes I was wearing.

This may also help you out too:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints

Good luck!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I worked on my step, how I hit the ground. I found a way to walk/jog that doesn't jar my shins. Find the way that works for you.

Or perhaps take up biking. ;)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of great advice.

One - Don't try to power through, that just makes it worse. I tried and it got to the point where I was nearly crying from the pain when I was just walking. They did not go away until I rested enough for them to heal.

Two - Follow a C25K program or something similar. If you need to go slower to start do so. Your cardio may be up to it, but your legs aren't.

Three- An additional exercise and stretch that hasn't been mentioned yet are calf raises and to be sure to stretch your calves after running as well.

I would get horrible shin splints and it got to the point where I gave up running. I am trying again, bought new shoes and I went to the physiotherapist for advice. She said my main issue was to build up strength in my legs and that my calves were tight.
    Also to help an exercise was to walk on my heels with my toes pointed up. (Heel walking)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    So I tried the one exercise today. Simply lifting foot while keeping heel on the ground. Doesn't take many for those shins to burn!

I played baseball all weekend mind you, and everything is sore. ;)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have always liked the idea of running and I love how many runners look so good! But every time I try to run or even walk fast, I get shin splints and have to stop. I have orthotics in my running shoes and good running shoes (according to the Running Room and the orthotics doctor). Should I just be resigned to the fact that I will never be a runner or is there something I can do?

If you are getting shin pain even walking fast - shelve the running plan for now - you need to be able to walk briskly for an hour before starting a running a program

Walk in the same shoes you run in

Try walking without the orthotics - they do not always help
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Walk or bike.

Best of luck!