oh my god.... HOW MANY CALORIES?! eyeopener!

Options

Replies

• jennygillott
    jennygillott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha. I'm so with you. Brazil nuts got me. A tiny portion of 6 nuts came to almost 200 cals. I'd eaten way more than 6 and was feeling all righteous for making a healthy choice! Welcome to MFP!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was about to drink my Straw-ber-rita (strawberry flavored spiked beer) until I entered it. It was 622 for the whole can (25oz)! PASS! :(
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I feel like an idiot saying it but... beer. It's like, I know they have over 100 calories each, but my mind won't focus on that. Then I check to see how many calories total is in that six pack I just drank and I'm shocked. Holy hell.

Also, finger sandwiches.

Beer can be a killer, For a while i was stopping at the pub post work daily chatting and meeting people, 3-4 pints and a pound of wings before heading out for dinner - 1500 calories holy mother of god no wonder i put all that weight on 1500 calories for a post work snack.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    For our American friends - dark or milk chocolate digestives mmmm......

http://www.mcvities.co.uk/products/chocolate-digestives
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    RAINBOW DROPS have 260 fricking calories in one tiny eeny packet!! RAINBOW DROPS!!! little sweet coloured puffs of air!!! ARGHHH!!

Moral of the story: LOG the food BEFORE you eat it.

:'(

pre-log pre-log pre-log
    I munched my way through a bag of strawberry bonbons (not a particularly big bag I thought). Went to log it to find it contained 900+ calories. No that is not a typo. I could have cried. I like bonbons but not 900 calories of like. I even checked a different brand in the supermarket just in case the database was wrong.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One time I grabbed a coffee and a muffin from a local bakery chain, and scarfed it down before checking the nutritional information. Guess how much that muffin (and not even a large one) cost me? 600 calories!!! That's half my daily goal!

Check nutrition before you eat, lol.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    One time I grabbed a coffee and a muffin from a local bakery chain, and scarfed it down before checking the nutritional information. Guess how much that muffin (and not even a large one) cost me? 600 calories!!! That's half my daily goal!

Check nutrition before you eat, lol.

Muffins are made of pure evil I tell you. They're just cupcakes in disguise...
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Glad they don't have those Rainbow Drops here. I would definitely have to try them.
    My go to food is Jif extra crunchy peanut butter. At 95 calories a tablespoon a 28 oz jar has 4750 calories. Uh-oh!
    Good idea to pre-log.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I was about to drink my Straw-ber-rita (strawberry flavored spiked beer) until I entered it. It was 622 for the whole can (25oz)! PASS! :(

Holy moly.

The Rainbow Drops sound like they're the same thing as Corn Pops (but with rice, too?) dyed with food coloring and coated in extra sugar. In other words, they sound amazing.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Tteokbokki - a cup of rice made into rice flour makes about 10 of them? ~640-800 calories, depending on the type of rice.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For me it's always been sushi. I guess I should've figured it was high calorie because of the rice but never figured it'd average over 200 cals per roll. Maybe that's how i gained 6 LBs in a month in Japan LOL.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are the worst for that....chocolate digestive? about 80 cals EACH! And to think i used to have 4 with a cup of tea....

I used to eat 1/2 a packet or more in one go so 4 would be ok for me, ginger nuts were my downfall but now I have 5. A packet lasted me almost 2 weeks last time I had some, I used to eat a packet in 2 days!

2 days??!!! I could get through an entire packet in one sitting and that was before finishing the coffee!!! Guess there's a good reason why I'm here. (hangs head in shame)
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is why I now pre-log my day. However, my chocolate treats are Tunnocks Tea Cakes (106 calories) or Jaffa Cakes (46 calories). To think I would have easily eaten a whole packet of any of these in a short space of time is horrendous but MFP has taught me a lot about food that never even crossed my mind previously. :)

For the non-UK members, here's what I'm talking about...

http://37.media.tumblr.com/a67c90a27cf14983316d8fe181dae522/tumblr_n4muyryegK1qilbcko1_1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/money.aol.co.uk/media/2013/05/pa-9804917.jpg
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my downfall! I have to log sushi before I go but I always go over- definitely only for days when I relax a little.
    And crisps........ You can keep your sweets, for me it's savoury shizz...
  • slperryer
    slperryer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To the person avoiding digestive biscuits:

Try a piece of tea loaf - lovely with a cup of tea, very low fat as the fruit is soaked in tea, so no butter or margarine needed, and most recipes are about 100 calories a slice, which isn't too bad at all.
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This afternoon, I fell foul of the 'stupidly -cheap-because-it-goes-out-of-date-today' section at the supermarket.
    4 mini onion bhajis for 40p. A bargain and they are only about 1" across - can't be that bad, right?...
    Logged them when I got home ... 323 calories!?! Well, that's my goal blown for the day!!

(I don't throw food away, so I have eaten them and will just have to start again tomorrow). *sigh*
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For our American friends - dark or milk chocolate digestives mmmm......

http://www.mcvities.co.uk/products/chocolate-digestives

I miss digestives. Sometimes you can find them in the stores here, but they don't quite taste the same. (Adds them to the list of reasons, she wants to visit the UK again.)
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was always shocked of how bad a little thing could be. We all know cheese is bad for you, but you never really realise until you log it just how bad! Hummus is the one that surprised me the most the first time: because everyone at work would eat a pot with some ryvita as a health option. Btw, a low fat tub (180g) of hummus is...roughly 450 calories. I mean, that is one third of my allowance! And I am a girl who needs her dessert in some shape or form (fudge is currently my pudding of choice. 111 calories for 25g and it is so sweet that is all you can stomach).

I always log before I eat and I try to plan my lunch and dinner the day before...
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bread was a shocker for me, I actually thought an error till I looked at the packet.
    Nuts, especially pistachio and peanuts were my downfall as well ... along with seeds.
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can still buy rainbow drops?

I know what I am buying tomorrow morning.