How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only track it once a week - that way the fluctuations aren't all over the place. I do write my dailies on a calendar but record in MFP once a week (always at the same time wearing the same thing).
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Morning routine is pee, strip, step on scale, put pajamas back on, start coffee, take blood pressure, drink coffee. I track it all. For daily weighing it's important to look at the trend not individual data points. You can compute moving averages in Excel or another spreadsheet program. Trenweight.com will do it for you. I use the Aria scale which syncs over wifi. I have MFB and FitBit set up to sync. I have put together a nice system pulling my fitness data together using MFP, FitBit, Google Spreadsheets, Microsoft Health Vault. Check out my blog for details: http://johntmoore.blogspot.com/

Weight loss is not linear. Looking at the trends gives me a much better sense of what's happening both short term and long term. I track diet, activity, blood pressure, sleep. Sleep and sodium seem to have significant effects on my blood pressure. Sleep, activity and caloric intake all have effects on my weight. Sodium intake has short term weight effect. I like seeing the interactions and variations.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Morning routine is pee, strip, step on scale, put pajamas back on, start coffee, take blood pressure, drink coffee. I track it all. For daily weighing it's important to look at the trend not individual data points. You can compute moving averages in Excel or another spreadsheet program. Trenweight.com will do it for you. I use the Aria scale which syncs over wifi. I have MFB and FitBit set up to sync. I have put together a nice system pulling my fitness data together using MFP, FitBit, Google Spreadsheets, Microsoft Health Vault. Check out my blog for details: http://johntmoore.blogspot.com/

Weight loss is not linear. Looking at the trends gives me a much better sense of what's happening both short term and long term. I track diet, activity, blood pressure, sleep. Sleep and sodium seem to have significant effects on my blood pressure. Sleep, activity and caloric intake all have effects on my weight. Sodium intake has short term weight effect. I like seeing the interactions and variations.

That's it

I'm going back to weighing once every six months
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Every day but track once a week. I need to now from one day to the next what is happening.
  • No_excuses_nikki
    No_excuses_nikki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The scale only measures pounds loss, not fat loss/ muscle gained. So i recommend you to take body measurements, progress pictures and go from there. maybe jump on the scale once a month.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, on Sunday mornings, only because I don't want to feel like I'm obsessing about it by doing it every day. HOWEVER, having missed yesterday morning and weighing myself this morning and finding I'm UP 3 pounds (damn ice cream!!!), I think I'm going to start doing it every morning, just to get me back on track. And I kind of knew I would be up - just didn't think it was THREE pounds up!!! I have been needing some inspiration and that just might do the trick!! Smacking myself in the head right now!

Weight fluctuates every day, so just know that you'll see a lot of ups and downs. I was up over a pound today from yesterday, but that's because I'm hitting TOM this week.

OP, I weigh every day to see the trend, but only record it on MFP once a week.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I weigh each day in the morning and put it into the Libra app to see my trend.

I just downloaded this to track my daily fluctuations. Thanks!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every 2-3 weeks. I like to "feel" like I have lost more than a pound before I get on the scale.
    I also track my calorie deficit during that time so I can compare what I should have lost to what I actually do.
    And usually I lose more than I thought I would. Which is a double bonus.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Almost daily. But I, like others, like the data and keep track of it to see what effects my weight and such. As long as I lose something every week, the daily fluctuations don't bother me.

Now you had asked me this last year and I would have said something different. But I am in a different mindset this time. If you stress and freak out over it, then weighing even weekly may not be for you. If you have to, pick a day, say the 5th and weigh yourself the 5th of every month. Throw away the scale if you have to and visit a gym to take your monthly weight if that is what it takes. Just realize that your body can still have some great changes with the scale not moving at all.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning (or almost every morning). I see the numbers go up 1-3 lbs. sometimes, but I never log that. I only log the next loss. That downward line is what motivates me, so I don't want (or need) to document the upward fluctuations. Sometimes there will be a bigger loss than I expected. I LOG IT. Yes, it might only be from dehydration or going to bed without dinner once in a while - but having that benchmark to move down past is great incentive for me to keep working this.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Never, I go by measurements. The scale is unpredictable. Measurements aren't wrong. Just me though.
  • waynewillis212
    Options
    I weigh myself every Thursday morning as soon as I wake up and after the toliet. I recently got a tape measure though so will also do that as well starting this thursday. Might only measure my self every 2 weeks though, not sure.
  • didans
    didans Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Daily, in the morning.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have a confession. I weigh myself way more than I should. At least every day, sometimes twice (ok, even three times) a day!

I know it's wrong, but it feels so right! :blushing:
    Same here!
  • crohnsfighter
    crohnsfighter Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Every couple of days, but I try hard not to.
  • chadwick175
    chadwick175 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Once a week
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The search function is your friend, there are about a thousand threads on this...

Do it daily and keep a log/chart of it so you can see what works and what doesn't.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Every morning, after the bathroom, before breakfast, naked. Every damn day. It is scientific data that helps me track patterns and trends in the midst of daily fluctuations. Because weight fluctuates so much I cannot imagine weighing once a week and feeling like I am getting an accurate reading. (I know this works for some people and I do not judge.) But since I have been seeing the ups and downs from the beginning, they are just part of my process and are not emotionally charged.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hate doing it every morning but I feel guilty if I don't at least keep track of it, especially if I had a cheat weekend due to the holiday. I don't pig out but I also didn't eat the healthiest food. But during the regular year, I have gotten better in weighing myself at the end of the week and trusting in my exercise and meal prep to propel me in a positive direction