Whey powder in coffee?

Options

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Protein in eggs, chicken, beef and steak isn't ruined because you cook it. It's fine to heat whey protein. Denatured protein is not dead, ruined protein.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/muscle-mystery-does-denatured-protein-still-make-you-grow.html
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No, you'll still get the amino acids and whatnot out of it, but it is changed. I just wrote ruined because I was thinking of it altering the structure. I just saw somebody else mention denaturing on the first page and I did think it would change the functionality of the product. If it doesn't, swell.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Nah, still good. You just have to watch it at high heats because it can easily curdle, ruining whatever you are putting it in.

I temper my whey protein just like I would temper an egg adding it into a sauce or something.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I take my vanilla protein powder with about a quarter tsp of instant coffee crystals. It makes for a very nice afternoon pick me up.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Lol, I like how I said beef AND steak as if steak isn't beef. Need moar sleep.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nah, still good. You just have to watch it at high heats because it can easily curdle, ruining whatever you are putting it in.

I temper my whey protein just like I would temper an egg adding it into a sauce or something.

That's kinda brilliant. I hadn't considered tempering the whey powder as if I'm making a hollandaise or something.
  • Sarah_Likes_Cookies
    Options
    It would seem that my regular calorie overages result from having my coffee (with milk and agave nectar) and breakfast as well. I'm trying to figure out a way to make those one and the same.. lol

I'm thinking a blended coffee beverage with whey powder? Anyone else do this or have a decent recipe? I've been experimenting quite a bit today and haven't come up with anything that wasn't disgusting..

Thanks in advance!

I actually use my whey powder in coffee (usually plain, no sugar/etc added) and it works just fine =] Such good flavor too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OH my god this thread has so many amazing tips. Can we rename this the "Genius Thread"? Frozen coffee cubes? Tempering the protein powder?...

I feel so liberated by this thread.

The possibilities seem endless now, my mind is racing with coffee/protein ideas.

I can't wait to get some protein powder and start ALL TEH COFFEES!

tumblr_moixogQT2J1rd35cbo1_250.gif
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    For those making frappuccinos or iced coffees ... make a pot of coffee then freeze it in ice cube trays and use that in your drink. That way it won't get 'watered down'.

:heart: This idea!
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Btw, I also temper protein powder to use in creamy sauces. :) I've used it in spaghetti sauce as well, but beware that your sauce will get a lighter color to it.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Coffee, Protein powder, Cinnamon, and Almond Milk all mixed together in a blender! UGH it's so so so good,it literally tastes like a delicious late (but low cal. and packed with protein!!!!) :love:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I pretty much use my Whey Powder the same way I would swiss miss hot chocolate. Heat up some water, mix in the powder, its not to bad
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I really like my coffee black. Mixing things in it seems blasphemous.

Do what suits you but I think your best option is some form of coffee-flavored smoothie.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Coffee, Protein powder, Cinnamon, and Almond Milk all mixed together in a blender! UGH it's so so so good,it literally tastes like a delicious late (but low cal. and packed with protein!!!!) :love:

This sounds really awesome when it comes to Coffee-Protein smoothies.

if you're looking to cut calories, I'd recommend skim milk instead of almond milk.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think the protein would denature at the temperature of hot coffee..... but for a frapp or something along those lines, it would probably work great.

I looked it up and it denatures at 72C, or 161F.

Coffee's temperature is supposed to be as close to 205F as possible, so chances are that putting whey protein in your hot coffee will kill the protein. Even denatured, I reckon your body gets amino acids out of it, though. It will clump when it denatures, though, so you'll get lumpy coffee. :(

This is completely untrue.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For those making frappuccinos or iced coffees ... make a pot of coffee then freeze it in ice cube trays and use that in your drink. That way it won't get 'watered down'.

:heart: This idea!

Moar caffeine! lol
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    This has actually been my go to "breakfast" for the past week or so. Cup of coffee, half scoop of french vanilla flavored protein powder (I also have mocha cappuccino flavored as well) and tablespoon of full-fat cream. I just have to stir in protein powder in small increments to avoid clumping and this will satiate me till lunch. I personally just like to reserve my carbs and the bulk of my calories for later in the day due to my training schedule.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Blender bottle half-filled with ice and blender ball. Vanilla powder, 1 spoonful of instant coffee, 1 cup of hot, brewed coffee. Add in that order, shake the hell out of it. You're welcome!

ETA: This is the best pre-workout EVER! (I think so anyway...)

please dont put hot liquids in a blender bottle. they are designed for cold liquids and have been known to pop the lids off when shaken with hot contents.

no one wants to get burned
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

How interesting! I frequently temper eggs if I'm making custards or something but hadn't thought of this. I once tried to add whey protein to my cream of wheat on the stove, and it made the grossest clumpy goopy mess-- I felt guilty putting the food in the compost, but I wasn't desperate enough to eat it in that unappetizing state. :/
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options

This sounds really awesome when it comes to Coffee-Protein smoothies.

if you're looking to cut calories, I'd recommend skim milk instead of almond milk.

Unsweetened almond milk has less than half the calories of skim milk.

I recently bought Trader Joe's Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate...making a smoothie with vanilla protein powder and some kind of milk sounds amazing.