• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand*

I drink diet soda and beer too. :smokin:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43 lbs and kept it off for more than 18 months. My diary is open. Baking is my hobby. :blushing:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    She actually told me that sugar causes inflamation and holds on to fat. I've been right at or under my calorie limit every day.

Eh, is she a NUTRITIONIST or a DIETICIAN? In the U.S., those are pretty different things and only one of them is a meaningful qualification. The other is full of practitioners who often subscribe to a lot of pseudoscience and anecdotal nonsense.

Yes. Read this about food causing inflammation:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/magic-diet-not-so-much/

If you're stalled it's much more likely (in the absence of a medical condition that's messing up the energy balance equation) that your calories are off. Either you're eating more than you think or not burning as much as you think, or both.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a latte several days a week. Ice cream, candy, cookies...yep. I just keep in my calorie goal. I've lost over 80lbs since the end of last Feb. So...yeah, you can eat sugar and lose weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I never tracked a single gram of sugar (yes eat it everyday) and have lost a couple pounds....... :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key word. I have chocolates, ice cream, cookies, etc. :bigsmile:
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    A calorie is NOT a calorie. That is an over simplification. Everything works when you have 100 pounds to loose... As you get closer to your ideal weight individual body chemistry gets multiplied... Especially if you lost allot of weight within the last year...it takes your body time to reset and it keeps trying to get back to the previous weight.

Studies show that after large weight loss you should eat 20% less than your normal maintenance goal for at least a year.

If all you eat is 1500 calories of ice cream and you only have 10 pounds to loose...you may not loose any weight. Lots of factors here but as several have mentioned insulin resistance could be a factor.

Anyway...try it for 2-3 weeks and see if she was right. If you start loosing weight..and you have the same number of calories sans sugar than you know she was right. If you don't and you give it 3 weeks...then it is something else.
  • Gregg8322
    Gregg8322 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    from my experience I've been able to get away with eating no more more than 400cals(my own fixed limit) worth sweets per day. sweets such as gummy worms or snickers. usually if feel so guilt about it that I burn it off after i eat it. but even on days that i didnt burn it off i still lost weight
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds and I eat sugar daily. I've found being accurate with weighing , making sure your logging the correct food, and using a HRM is all I need to be successful. Honestly I only watch calories, protein, sodium, and fiber.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar daily - I'm a coffee addict - I drink 3 - 4 cups a day and use real sugar in it.

Yes it'd probably be better if I could drink it black/unsweetened - but I can't.

I can't use artificial sweeteners as they give me migraines.

I'm not too worried about it.....I work out every day and usually come in under my calorie goal.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT a calorie. That is an over simplification. Everything works when you have 100 pounds to loose... As you get closer to your ideal weight individual body chemistry gets multiplied... Especially if you lost allot of weight within the last year...it takes your body time to reset and it keeps trying to get back to the previous weight.

Studies show that after large weight loss you should eat 20% less than your normal maintenance goal for at least a year.

If all you eat is 1500 calories of ice cream and you only have 10 pounds to loose...you may not loose any weight. Lots of factors here but as several have mentioned insulin resistance could be a factor.

Anyway...try it for 2-3 weeks and see if she was right. If you start loosing weight..and you have the same number of calories sans sugar than you know she was right. If you don't and you give it 3 weeks...then it is something else.

Um...no. The lower maintenance after a large loss, yes. But you will still lose weight if you eat less than you burn. Even if all you eat is ice cream.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't really keep track of my sugar, but once in awhile I change fiber for sugar in my diary just to have an idea of what I am doing and I also check the reports (graphs). The maximum amount of sugar that I ever had was 75 and I can be as low as 18.

Most of the sugar comes from fruits because I don't drink sodas or eat cakes, ice cream, cookies or chocolate on a regular bases and I use Splenda in my coffee; so it all depends in what sugary foods you eat and how much you would be willing in reducing to see if it makes a difference in your weigh loss. It doesn't hurt to try.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It could be the type of sugar. I find that I lose if I eat natural sugars and have refined sugars very sparingly. I can eat 100 calories of grapes every day and lose, but eat 50 calories of chocolate every day and plateau.

What if you eat EITHER the grapes OR the chocolate?

Do you weigh your food? Perhaps you are eating more grapes than you think. :flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd get another nutritionist...
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd get another nutritionist.

Not to go against the CDC, but calories aren't just calories. Just one question: is it better to have a a grilled chicken breast or a snickers bar? The better quality food you put in, the better your weight loss will be.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lost all my weight while including sugary treats everyday. Lots of people saying there is more to it than just calories if you care about your health/body composition and that is true. There is also something to keeping treats in for mental health and adherence reasons.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Hmmm or could it possibly be that your body doesn't require as much energy as when you were 100 lbs heavier?
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Hmmm or could it possibly be that your body doesn't require as much energy as when you were 100 lbs heavier?

↑BOOM↑

Btw I lost 22 pounds eating sugar everyday. Very happy with my body right now weighing 166.4 pounds.