I don't lose weight- scientific miracle?

Replies

• AllyBlue77
    AllyBlue77 Posts: 58
    Hello, i searched the boards but i am not finding exactly what i am looking for (as everyone's experience is different, of course). I have been changing my eating over the course of years but during all of my adult life, my weight has stayed the same. I just saw a post wherein someone said 'if you create a calorie deficit you WILL lose'.....but what if you don't. ever. lose? i have been a vegetarian for 23 years, I gave up diet soda 10 years ago, i became a vegan about 4 yrs ago(i occasionally eat cheese but PARSE it out but NO other dairy), i eat a plant based diet that i supplement with two protein bars a day (they have whey but they are the only low carb, low sugar, tasty ones i liked), i drink water all day, eat little meals- try to eat every three hours or so. i don't snack, i don't binge, i don't eat out. i work out but inconsistently (like everyday for a month, then not for two weeks, then again for 3 weeks, etc and this has been the case since i was 20- i am now 44). i have logged my calories to be 1200 to 1400 cals a day. I am rarely hungry. I went to a nutritionist because i started to GAIN- she said i was eating too little, so i ate a little more.....and my weight is still the same. i been around 160 exactly my whole adult life (i am 5'4"- so yes, i am decidedly overweight and no, i am no big boned. i was a chubby kid and teen for reference BUT i ate JUNK JUNK JUNK until i was about 23 and had an ED until i was 28. now i eat like a monk and no change. my blood panel was totally normal. i take no medications (except starting this week Qsymia, which i know gets no love on this site). i have been thin at two points in my life (ha!) post breakup in which i basically became manically obsessed and all i did (LITERALLY) was work out all day and drink protein shakes. Science and MFP tells me nobody should have to live this way to lose some weight. (but it illustrates it IS possible for me- just not sustainable). I am not vying for the role of Wolverine in Xmen.
    so, any suggestions that i haven't heard ? has ANYONE else experience this? Made massive lifestyle changes and experience NO weight loss?

Go to a doctor. And if they won't take you seriously, go to another one. Don't listen to the people on this board, they will tell you that you're lying or worse.

My suspicion from the little bit of info you've given here is that you have a metabolism disorder like PCOS - likely triggered by the ED and worsened by veganism.

YES! i second this..... finally i hear something smart.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Lyle? Volek and Phinney? Okayyy...
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    i have no indicators of PCOS but do have them for insulin resistance and as i said in my original post, i DID lose weight when i did all protein shakes which i believe had more to do with a super high protein diet than calories per se. there is just some instinctual feeling i have always had that carbs were doing me no favors. i have heard anecdotally about 5:2 but i have seen no literature or program about them. do you fast for 2 days? low cal? 2 days in a row? Honestly (and i have hinted at this in my other posts) when you talk about dramatically cutting calories, you get a lot of crap from people that swings from 'that is not necessary to lose weight' (except for SOME people it is) to 'um do you have a PROBLEM??'
    i know i have an incomplete diary but DebbieLynn's post taps in closest to what i am getting at.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    i have no indicators of PCOS but do have them for insulin resistance and as i said in my original post, i DID lose weight when i did all protein shakes which i believe had more to do with a super high protein diet than calories per se. there is just some instinctual feeling i have always had that carbs were doing me no favors. i have heard anecdotally about 5:2 but i have seen no literature or program about them. do you fast for 2 days? low cal? 2 days in a row? Honestly (and i have hinted at this in my other posts) when you talk about dramatically cutting calories, you get a lot of crap from people that swings from 'that is not necessary to lose weight' (except for SOME people it is) to 'um do you have a PROBLEM??'
    i know i have an incomplete diary but DebbieLynn's post taps in closest to what i am getting at.

Given the IR you might find this thread interesting - while it focuses on PCOS, note the study I posted addresses IR related possible drop in metabolism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267806-hypo-pcos-smoothing-tdee-deficit-numbers?page=1#posts-20207358
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    "During the study, only 27 of 151 urine ketone measurements were greater than trace, with one participant accounting for all 7 occurrences of the highest urine ketone reading (large160)."

So on in that regard only a small percentage of participants were actually in ketosis. Now argue what you will, but if you're not in ketosis you're not on a ketogenic diet especially when the ratios aren't near any standard ketogenic diet such as classic or Atkins induction phase.
    Again, you show you don't understand ketosis and urine ketone readings. It's well-known that urine ketone readings REDUCE to trace as people keto-adapt. That's why at the end they are all practically at 'trace' instead of 'greater than trace', and earlier on more were at 'greater than trace'.

Of the three types of ketones (acetate, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate) produced by your body, ketostix only measure acetoacetate. This is extremely important to understand, because it turns out that your body produces different quantities of these different types of ketones depending on how long you’ve been in ketosis. If you’ve been in ketosis for a while, you’re going to see a reduction in the “intensity” of what you register on your ketostix ... (Sources: Precision Xtra Ketone Test Strips, Ketostix, Volek/Phinney: The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living)

Regarding the ratio of carbohydrate, yes it was 12% at week two but under 10% at the end of the study. And all intervals showed the total CHO to be under 50g (44.6g was the maximum mean, and it went down to 33.8 by study end) - which virtually all experts agree WILL get you into ketosis. (Reference, "The Ketogenic Diet, Lyle McDonald"). To suggest they weren't in ketosis simply because the ratio isn't 'optimum' is completely incorrect.
    At any rate I give up... You're obviously defensive, but if you opened up just a little you might be able to make more progress on your goals. Good luck.
    I'm not defensive - I'm simply correcting obviously-incorrect information from someone who posts opinion from poorly-understood studies and/or articles. If you were correct there'd be no issue.

Might be.
    Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.
    ~ Merry Browne

I am correct. Once again... Lyle? Volek and Phinney? Okayyy...