Is it true you should eat within 30 minutes of waking up?

Options

Replies

• MikeLAdams
    MikeLAdams Posts: 40
    Options
    I have been trying to do a full hour cardio workout before eating in the morning, because I read it helps with fat burning.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to do a full hour cardio workout before eating in the morning, because I read it helps with fat burning.

I generally prefer my eating to be done before my cardio workout
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

You DON'T need to eat 5-6 meals a day.
    You CAN eat right before bed
    You DON'T have to eat every 2-3 hours.

This is working for you, and that's great. But it's surely not something you HAVE to do.

Nope what ever works for each individual is great but that's one of the best ways to speed up your metabolism. just a suggestion :P

It doesn't speed up your metabolism though...
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry. The reason why i eat this way is to SPEED UP my metabolism, which in turn assists in weight loss and hunger.

Yes, I do something similar. But I do this to help keep my sugar levels steady so I don't get super hungry then binge. My weight loss has been slow but steady :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficiency will cause you to burn fat. Water and exercise will assist the process and achieve overall good health. Focus on creating and maintaining your deficiency while hitting your macros and you'll be fine.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry.

What does it matter if you eat 1-3 meals versus 5-6? And what is wrong with eating right before bed?
    the reason for this method of madness lol is eating smaller portions more frequently speeds up your metabolism which in turn assists in weight loss. Also by eating more frequently your less likely to binge......

But it doesn't speed up your metabolism...:huh:

Have you tried it?
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

What does it matter if you eat 1-3 meals versus 5-6? And what is wrong with eating right before bed?
    the reason for this method of madness lol is eating smaller portions more frequently speeds up your metabolism which in turn assists in weight loss. Also by eating more frequently your less likely to binge......

Have you tried it?

It's a scientific fact that it doesn't "speed up your metabolism"

I'm glad that it's working for you, that's great...but what your claiming isn't true...at all.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race lol but nope, as long as you eat 5-6 small meals a day it don't matter. I mean obviously you wont eat huge meal 10 mins before bed...... I eat every 2-3 hours and 6 small meals a day and i"m doing great and don't feel hungry. The reason why i eat this way is to SPEED UP my metabolism, which in turn assists in weight loss and hunger.

It's most important to eat in a way that keeps you feeling satisfied. If you enjoy eating 5-6 meals a day, that's great. Personally, it's not really my cup of tea. I generally prefer not to eat until around noon, I may have a snack in the late afternoon or early evening, and I like to have a huge dinner. Then I eat dessert around 10pm and go to bed. 75 pounds later, my metabolism seems fine.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Have you tried it?

I do eat frequent meals as a matter of preference, but science tells us that your metabolism cannot be sped up by these means. In fact, metabolism generally requires some sort of mechanical energy to be expended in order to be "boosted".

For example, running boosts your metabolism.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

As stated previously, it all up to the individual. I've finished eating 3000 calories right before bed. I'm curious why you think I won't do this. It makes no difference when you eat as long as you are eating within you macros.

When I eat more often its not because I want to "speed up my metabolism", its because I am on a bulk and want to gain weight not lose weight.
  • triton64
    triton64 Posts: 8
    Options
    In order of importance from bottom (most important) to top (least important)
    http://rippedbody.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Nutrition-Pyramid-BW-1.png
  • natstar26
    Options

This is working for you, and that's great. But it's surely not something you HAVE to do.

Nope what ever works for each individual is great but that's one of the best ways to speed up your metabolism. just a suggestion :P

Have you done it that way before? i never said they had to do it though, just something that works for me. Maybe what you do might work for them too, who knows but pretty please don't say things that I never said :) thnakyou :P
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Speeding up metabolism is not true!!
    Please provide a reference for your theory
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

Have you done it that way before? i never said they had to do it though, just something that works for me. Maybe what you do might work for them too, who knows but pretty please don't say things that I never said :) thnakyou :P

But you DID say it speeds up your metabolism
  • natstar26
    Options

Have you tried it?

I do eat frequent meals as a matter of preference, but science tells us that your metabolism cannot be sped up by these means. In fact, metabolism generally requires some sort of mechanical energy to be expended in order to be "boosted".

For example, running boosts your metabolism.
    Oh i know exercise help with your metabolism rofllll So you eat 3 meals or you eat frequent meals? which one is it?
  • natstar26
    Options

But you DID say it speeds up your metabolism
    I am referring to the word HAVE as in you implying i told this lady that she has to do it lol i was trying to tell her what worked for me and you went and blew it all out of proportion sayin i was telling her she HAS to do something when i wasn't lol IT WAS JUST A SUGGESTION OH MY ROFL
  • natstar26
    Options
    Mindi I hope you find something that works for you :) You will have many suggestions and no1 is telling you what to do as they say people are lol Have a great day cheers
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow. I am only loosing 1 pound a week. Today somebody told me I should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Is this true?
    No, it's true you should eat within five minutes! :bigsmile: At least, that's what I'm usually thinking when I get up, get ready for the gym, and have a small snack prior to going to the gym and saving my breakfast for afterward.

Actually, you should eat when you feel like it. Meal timing does not contribute to weight loss.

1 pound a week is excellent! Keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I do, but only because I don't get up until 9:00 - 9:30. God I love being retired!
    Retired? That's not fair!
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Eating smaller portions more frequently does not speed up metabolism and aid in weight loss,

For me, eating more frequently helps me not to run to the snack bar, but that's not true for everyone either. It's personal preference.