Gymgoers: what's with the staring?

Options
I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Lol, you just said you were doing a pretty strange routine - are you really surprised people were looking? Most people will look around when resting between sets, that's standard in most gyms. However most people will not comment on someone else's form/routine because that is considered poor gym etiquette.

Unless the trainee is about to damage themselves most folks will consider it none of their business and will keep their distance and get on with their own routine.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've taken note and next time between my sets, I shall sit with my eyes closed! I am always looking around and staring out of curiosity as to what others are doing and seeing if I would benefit from it. I fear more that people think im checking them out than criticising them lol
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It goes on all time but frankly when I hit the gym I am so zoned into my workout and concentrating on my movements and getting the most out of every set that unless someone asks for a spot, I could care less what was going on around me.... I am to focused in on me when I am there to worry about what others are thinking or doing... Best of Luck
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It always annoys me how nosy people are at gyms... the other day I was doing a HIIT workout, and doing some fast skipping and doing box jumps, and every time I looked there was a man just watching me. I was really going for it, so I wasn't comfortable with someone just way thing my entire routine. I admit I do stare at people myself, and I guess its just human nature. But I do enjoy the complete anonymity you can have in a gym.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just do your routine and don't worry about anyone staring! I do some unusual exercises too and some people look at what I'm doing. I think in most cases this is to see if they can learn something new. I'll do the same if I see someone doing an exercise I'm not familiar with!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Gymgoers: What's with the caring about what other people are looking at?

Why is their looking YOUR business? You said yourself that you're doing something odd so you should expect people to be curious. If you confident that what you're doing is correct and none of the other people in the gym are physically trying to stop you just handle your business and get your workout done.

I get that it might be uncomfortable to get extra attention but that's how the world works so you should change yourself to get past it instead of hoping to change the world.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Would you rather people stare blankly at the walls? I mean, I think I'd find a gym full of braindead zombies to be quite unsettling.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Nobody cares what you are doing. You are being paranoid. When resting between sets there isn't much else to do but look around. I go to a gym with some really fit men and women, when I started, I was doing strong lifts so I started with an empty bar. People looked at me too. Months later after I had come to know many of them they told me how they thought it was awesome how I didn't let ego get in my way and stuck with the program. They didn't care what I was doing, they weren't staring at me, just looking around between sets. I have great friends in that gym.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Gymgoers: What's with the caring about what other people are looking at?

Why is their looking YOUR business? You said yourself that you're doing something odd so you should expect people to be curious. If you confident that what you're doing is correct and none of the other people in the gym are physically trying to stop you just handle your business and get your workout done.

I get that it might be uncomfortable to get extra attention but that's how the world works so you should change yourself to get past it instead of hoping to change the world.

this!
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If i'm staring at you at the gym it's because i'm curious as to what you are doing and if I can add it into my workout. I have asked people what they are doing and they are receptive to show me and tell me the benefits. I don't stare to be judgemental, I stare to learn.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training at home and most cardio at the gym. When I'm doing cardio I like to observe the people lifting weights to get ideas.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that the OP took a cheap shot at people texting or taking pictures of themselves at the gym. How does one simultaneously complain about people staring at them AND complain about people minding their own business?
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is accidental staring, sometimes to check out other people's form, sometimes because the other person's routine is unusual. None of it is done in a judgemental way.

MFP has taught me that other gym users get upset if you start talking to them so I just keep my distance. Don't over think it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Cuz you've split your shorts :-p

No one (well hardly anyone) Cares - Are they Staring or just looking (there's a big difference) .. Anyway, just get on with your own life.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Hahaha I love when people stare/admire me.

I just look them in the eyes, smile, and nod my head.

I always look better than the people staring, it's usually old men/milfs though.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I just stare at people in general. It's nothing personal. I'm going to head off to the gym in a bit, and I'll probably stare at some people there too-- regardless of what workout they're doing.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love when people stare/admire me.

I just look them in the eyes, smile, and nod my head.

I always look better than the people staring, it's usually old men/milfs though.

Speak for yourself, buddy!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    It's like a car accident. Hard not to look.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In an enclosed space with a good number of people, I would think it is unavoidable. You'd actually have to be trying very hard to not look at people.

It's easy to get paranoid about these things particularly if you're not a people person and like your own space. But it's just the nature of the environment you're in.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    They might be waiting for you to finish so they can use that machine or area themselves.

Or they might be like me and looking in your general direction but their mind is somewhere else.