Peanut Butter Addiction

Options
Hi, I have been gluten free for 20 months due to a medical condition and I am trying to get fit by exercising and balancing my diet. My only problem is I am addicted to nuts and peanut butter. Can anyone help tell me what my nuts limit should be? Is 3 spoons of peanut butter plus two hanfuls of mixed unsalted nuts too much of fat consumption a day?

Replies

• GreatSaltLuke
    GreatSaltLuke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow peanut butter addict. There are worse foods to be addicted to as nuts are one of the healthiest sources of fats. They do pack a nasty calorie hit though so you don't want to overdo it. You can eat all the nuts you want as long as you are staying under your fat macro and aren't leaving yourself with too few calories to keep your hunger at bay. Peanut butter has about 8 gram of fat and 95 calories per tablespoon.
  • Nazy1343
    Nazy1343 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The problem was I was having 10 spoons a day. But now I cut it to 3 spoons maximum. My favourite snack right now is mashed banana with crunchy peanut butter on top of rice cakes.

There is so much you can do with peanut butter! Glad I found another PB enthusiast!
  • SoftHeat
    Options
    I mix 1T of PB w/ a 100 calorie cup of yoplait ff greek vanilla yogurt. The PB taste is really strong & tastes like more than only a tablespoon. It is pretty delicious as a dip for apples or bananas.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is the best!

Your limits should be whatever fits your macros/calorie goals.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    ^^^Agreed!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why are you limiting your peanut butter again???
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • Nazy1343
    Options
    thanks for the reply guys! well my doctor said peanut butter should not be consumed more than 2 table spoons a day but I started insanity challenge and found peanut butter was the best recovery food (did not go back to that doctor again).

I discovered the best recipe recently for the summer. In a food processor blend together frozen banana, and peanut butter.. mix chia seeds... on a tray shape the mix into small bits the size of your thumb and pour melted dark (70%+) chocolate on top. put into the freezer to set and take out whenever you want. mmmm i my go and get one now :)
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is nothing without jelly!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    The problem was I was having 10 spoons a day. But now I cut it to 3 spoons maximum. My favourite snack right now is mashed banana with crunchy peanut butter on top of rice cakes.

There is so much you can do with peanut butter! Glad I found another PB enthusiast!

Smashed banana w/ peanut butter on rice cakes...omg that sounds so freaken yummy
  • Nazy1343
    Options

Smashed banana w/ peanut butter on rice cakes...omg that sounds so freaken yummy

You should definitely try it ;)
  • airossell
    airossell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter with apple slices every evening for my after workout snack. That, plus my regular protein rich breakfast is what keeps my blood sugar from crashing mid-morning. I notice a huge difference when I don't eat it. I guess you could say I'm addicted!
  • aaron296
    aaron296 Posts: 5
    Options
    just make sure its not skippy or some other brand with all kinds of added junk....just penut should be listed on the ingredients. Keep it to 2 spoons a day. I to have a mashed banna penut butter rice cake addiction and always put a nice scoop in my smoothies. its when you buy a jar every other day you may need to slow down. lol 1 tbl spoon is 100 cal of flavor country in my world.
  • mlk0812
    mlk0812 Posts: 19
    Options
    It is very important to weigh peanut butter, because "spoons" are highly inaccurate. A serving size is 32g and that has approximately 200 calories. You can easily take in hundreds of extra calories if you overdo it. I was surprised how many servings of peanut butter I was actually eating when I weighed it vs. eyeballing a tbsp lol.
  • Nazy1343
    Options
    Actually I learnt today that peanut butter saves lives of malnourished children http://www.peanutbutterforthehungry.org/
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I have peanut butter with apple slices every evening for my after workout snack. That, plus my regular protein rich breakfast is what keeps my blood sugar from crashing mid-morning. I notice a huge difference when I don't eat it. I guess you could say I'm addicted!
    No you're not.
    just make sure its not skippy or some other brand with all kinds of added junk....just penut should be listed on the ingredients. Keep it to 2 spoons a day. I to have a mashed banna penut butter rice cake addiction and always put a nice scoop in my smoothies. its when you buy a jar every other day you may need to slow down. lol 1 tbl spoon is 100 cal of flavor country in my world.
    I don't eat all natural peanut butter. Does that mean I'm unhealthy?

You aren't addicted either.
    Hey, now... No need to be rude. Just playing around :smile: