Help! He's withering away!

Options
My husband is wasting away...his eating habits are atrocious yet he has lost 20 pounds in 2 years...not trying to. How can I get more calories in him. He's pre diabetic on top of everything else...and he refuses to lift weights. His stats are 5'11 139...yuck. no offense.Help!

Replies

• poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    You can offer him a nutritious balanced diet but you can't force him to eat. You can be an example, but you can't force him to eat. He must take the responsibility for his own health.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Tie him up and force-feed him?

On a serious note, share your concerns with him. Cook high-calorie meals for him. That's all I can think of.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    ...his eating habits are atrocious...

I'm with poobah. The above is the first thing to address. Until he agrees with you the rest is not going to happen.
  • UFITYETXX
    UFITYETXX Posts: 38
    Options
    He's definitely on board with gaining weight. We just need some ideas to get higher calorie Healthier foods in him to gain the weight back. Believe it or not hes a produce manager at a grocery store. But he is so busy he wont eat breakfast or lunch then comes home and eats to pb n j sandwiches...and a pint of ice cream.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    He's definitely on board with gaining weight. We just need some ideas to get higher calorie Healthier foods in him to gain the weight back. Believe it or not hes a produce manager at a grocery store. But he is so busy he wont eat breakfast or lunch then comes home and eats to pb n j sandwiches...and a pint of ice cream.

Cook him breakfast before he leaves, pack a lunch for him, and cook dinner in the evenings?
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    People here are wonderful, but because your husband is diabetic and has lost so much weight he really needs to get immediate help from a doctor or nutritionist. I don't know about "yuck". It seems more like a "yikes" situation to me.
  • Clarifications
    Options
    Peanutttt butter.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    no offense? poor guy...maybe he should go see a doctor.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    try ensures?
    peanut butter with oatmeal , flax seed and a banana.

avocado, turkey and egg tomato sandwich

brown rice pastas
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Exercise is one thing that helps greatly in people who are pre-diabetic, is there a way to get him to do some kind of moderate exercise for 150 mins per week? Try something he may not think of as exercise, as simple as going on walks with him, biking, hiking, etc. Exercise can also help with increasing the appetite, and getting an evaluation with a physician is a great idea if there seems to be no good reason for the weight loss. I would start with the Dr. visit to make certain there is nothing else going on and check his "pre-diabetic" status...diabetes can cause weight loss too...
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I apologize for my snarkiness. I misunderstood your question, thinking he didn't care about his weight but you did. I think you're asking how to seriously up his calorie intake while watching what he eats due to his pre-diabetic condition, and my answer would be to seek help from a doctor.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Get off the damn internet and go to the doctor.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Get off the damn internet and go to the doctor.

This.

I feel bad for your husband, OP
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Pasta extra heavy on the oil.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Buy half a gallon of heavy cream and start adding it to everything. Cream on oatmeal. Soup made with cream. Mashed potatoes with cream. Cakes and cookies with cream. Pancakes and french toast with cream.

There are very few things that can't be made awesome by adding cream to them. :D

Take if from me. It WORKS. lol.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    BurntCoffee covered my thoughts. Prior to my PWD diagnoses I was not eating and dropped a lot of weight. You might encourage with all due gentleness a visit to the MD for an A1C.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    BJ's...The second best kind

problem solved.

ETA: You could probably use both kinds creatively if you put some thought into it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes? Get him a shaker bottle and he can drink them at work. You can get the weight gainer ones too (but watch the sugar on those).

And yes, help from a doctor.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In case this is for real:
    He could be an actual (not pre-) diabetic or any combination of things listed here. Please take him to a doctor.
    Even if you think he is perfectly well, he should see a doctor periodically.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/unexplained-weight-loss/basics/causes/sym-20050700