Help! He's withering away!

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Ge had bloodwork done a month ago and the test showed that he was in the pre diabetic stage but it was for insurance purposes so I dont think his doctor knows about it. He is going to take results with him. No its a lifestyle choice for him. He is ADHD and blames his forgetting to eat on it...

I don't think I can stress this enough, but he needs to see a doctor immediately. Like today.

I can understanding forgetting to eat once and a while, but we have this thing called hunger and if he's not experiencing it and losing weight he doesn't have to lose that could be a whole host of issues that are very serious.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that he seek a divorce. Going on the Internet and describing one's spouse with the word "yuck" isn't cool

x2
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    What's his energy level? Is he happy?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    People here are wonderful, but because your husband is diabetic and has lost so much weight he really needs to get immediate help from a doctor or nutritionist. I don't know about "yuck". It seems more like a "yikes" situation to me.

THIS!!! Get him to the Dr ASAP!!!!, this could be a sign that his diabetes is worsening or not being controlled. Very dangerous!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People here are wonderful, but because your husband is diabetic and has lost so much weight he really needs to get immediate help from a doctor or nutritionist. I don't know about "yuck". It seems more like a "yikes" situation to me.

Yep. Diabetics dropping weight is not normally a good sign. Doctor first, and then discuss his diet with the doctor.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    And please don't use "yuck" to describe your husband who seems to be having medical problems. Poor guy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Unexplained weight loss, when he is already pre-diabetic, is something a doctor should be consulted for.
  • JJ48Fan
    JJ48Fan Posts: 50
    Options
    For all of those saying go to a doctor I completely agree. My husband is diabetic and he is 6 feet and was at 220, his weight started to drop and he was the "garbage disposal" of eating. He wound up with gastro parisis (sp?), end stage kidney failure and congestive heart failure within a year! He was going to the doctor regularly but his symptoms just piled on quickly.

Better to be safe than sorry.
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Tie him up and force-feed him?

On a serious note, share your concerns with him. Cook high-calorie meals for him. That's all I can think of.

Oh I do not agree. Go to the American diabetes website and cook good, healthy, diabetes friendly meals! Make it all that is available to him!!! You can encourage working out but sadly its up to him. Good luck!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would be devastated if my husband said "yuck" about my body :(

Focus on the health aspect and see a nutritionist since he needs specialized help.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Actually there truly is a condition known as
    'Failure to thrive'. If you're a caring wife,,
    you'll get him in to his doctor. I agree with
    the others here, yuck shouldn't apply if you
    love him. Get him help.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My husband is wasting away...his eating habits are atrocious yet he has lost 20 pounds in 2 years...not trying to. How can I get more calories in him. He's pre diabetic on top of everything else...and he refuses to lift weights. His stats are 5'11 139...yuck. no offense.Help!

Wow, your poor husband... On top of being skinny, he has to deal with a partner who publicly writes "yuck" about his physical appearance.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Set a recurring alarm on his phone for mealtimes.

Cook. Send him with food, have food you cooked ready for him when he gets home.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    no offense? poor guy...maybe he should go see a doctor.

Yes. Unintentional weight loss is a sign of cancer, so instead of bashing his appearance, I'd get him to the doctor.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    no offense? poor guy...maybe he should go see a doctor.

Yes. Unintentional weight loss is a sign of cancer, so instead of bashing his appearance, I'd get him to the doctor.

It is a sign of a lot of chronic illnesses.

OP, stop telling him yuck and start e couraging him to see a doc.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a troll post...

The "Yuck" comment makes me sad.
    "No offense" doesn't make it better.
    If you were the one that wasn't at ideal weight and had health problems, How would you feel if the person closest to you referred to you as "Yuck"?

He has health issues and needs to see a doctor that can recommend appropriate course of action and possibly see a nutritionist.

There are many health issues that can cause weight loss and they can be serious. It is not an issue of vanity or yucky. Maybe once he gets his underlying health issues under control he will feel well enough to work out.
  • jlowoa
    jlowoa Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree -- getting him to a doctor is super important. Then ask The Doctor what he thinks about this.
    My friend's preteen was underweight and the doctor told his Mom to take him to McDonalds a couple times a week. Within weeks he put on all the weight he needed. But, I would definitely ask a doctor about this first.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - made with a can of coconut milk - throw in some fruit like blueberries... add some chocolate chips ... it's rich, decadent - and enough calories to probably feed a family in one bowl.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist and get him tested he might have other problems