People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize this is a dead thread from 2012 that got revived a couple of times? Nobody from back then is going to answer your questions no matter how many times it's quoted........just say'n. :tongue:

The questions currently being answered are from 2 hours ago or less.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize this is a dead thread from 2012 that got revived a couple of times? Nobody from back then is going to answer your questions no matter how many times it's quoted........just say'n. :tongue:

Do you realize that the last two pages are posts from the last 24 hours .... or did you just look at page one then rush to the end to highlight when it started?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    outdoor biking - a good hard ride for an hour+ - 14+ mph average - burns 1400-1600 calories according to my HRM (and I do that at least once on the weekend (sometimes twice).

I also had a day where I was doing sideline flags for 2 soccer games and burned over 2300 calories in a single afternoon...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor, it includes a wrist watch and a chest strap. I walk laps on the track behind my house. Each lap burns 200 calories...I also use 2lb dumbells also while listening to the workout radio on pandora. 8 laps are 1000 calories. remember your heartrate is what tells how many calories your burning. MFP is not accurate at all.

also, ive used various brands of hrm and they've all calculated similar calculations. each person is different.

If I were you, I would not tell a soul about this enchanted track, or you're going to have 1/3 of America in your backyard :wink:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You could have a 200 pound marathoner walk 3 miles an hour or a 200 pound couch potato walk the same distance and, all other things being equal (body composition), they will burn roughly the same number of calories even if the couch potato's heart rate is 50 bpm faster. There's actually a very real possibility that the marathoner would burn MORE calories simply because they would likely have more muscle mass, but that's another thing altogether, and then you have to account for RMR and determine net burn, etc.

So why have a HRM in the first place?

Because I'm generally more concerned with my effort than my pace.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    outdoor biking - a good hard ride for an hour+ - 14+ mph average - burns 1400-1600 calories according to my HRM (and I do that at least once on the weekend (sometimes twice).

I also had a day where I was doing sideline flags for 2 soccer games and burned over 2300 calories in a single afternoon...

2300 calories is about 18+ miles worth of steady state running for a 200 pound person. Doing flags involves running, stopping, heart rate staying elevated while not running and an overestimated burn by the HRM.
  • MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    didn't know you knew the length of the laps in my neighborhood.

Thanks
  • erinjruns
    erinjruns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories. I am a fairly petite girl, but I had to work hard for that calorie burn! I use my heart rate monitor that was calibrated by an exercise physiologist using my measured resting metabolic rate, my measured VO2max and my lactate threshold. I just don't see how someone doing a few miles or an hours worth of working out has that kind of calorie burn unless you are humongous!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor, it includes a wrist watch and a chest strap. I walk laps on the track behind my house. Each lap burns 200 calories...I also use 2lb dumbells also while listening to the workout radio on pandora. 8 laps are 1000 calories. remember your heartrate is what tells how many calories your burning. MFP is not accurate at all.

also, ive used various brands of hrm and they've all calculated similar calculations. each person is different.

If I were you, I would not tell a soul about this enchanted track, or you're going to have 1/3 of America in your backyard :wink:

Except that if they are following a diet plan based on those calorie burns, they soon won't fit.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    The closest I've gotten recently was last night, I burned 620 calories after 80 minutes of exercise, according to my HRM. That included sprints and a lower body circuit with weights.

The only other time I'm sure I got over 1000 was when I biked about 90km over two days on mountain trails.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I often have days where I weightlift for 45mins & then have a 1.5hr lacrosse practice in full equipment. Lacrosse is 506 calories an hour according to MFP (Lots of bolting around, sprinting & it's a contact sport). So those 2 things alone might put me over. I also have 2hr softball games (I'm a catcher) the same day as lacrosse or weights. And I also do things like ride my bike or rollerblade for fun.

But I can't say I've ever burned 1,000 calories from walking, running or weightlifting alone.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    In your post at the top of the last page, you stated
    I walk laps on the track behind my house.

Now you write:
    didn't know you knew the length of the laps in my neighborhood.

Thanks

So, which is it? Are you walking laps on a track (that is likely 400 meters around) or around your neighborhood which is of an undetermined length? Never mind, don't answer that. Answer this: how long are you walking?

A 150 pound person would have to walk about 10 miles to achieve a burn of about 1000 calories. At 14 minute miles, that would take 2 hours and 20 minutes.
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    I see you got your information from a page that uses statistical information based on probably a limited amount of people. Not everyone's body type is the same, there's gender, muscle mass, body fat, height, age etc, etc....

Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

Based on my body's reaction to my workouts, I am losing at a great rate.

But then, I don't recall asking you to question the techinical device I use to assist me in my goals. So far, it's working well for ME. I've lost 17 lbs within 7-8 weeks, my body fat has dropped and so have my inches.

Thanks for your critical advise.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    For walking and running I find a very easy rule of thumb is 90 calories per mile (women) and 110 calories per mile (men). This will vary somewhat depending on weight/height/muscle mass/fat mass, but not terribly much.

If you're doing 2 miles, you're doing 180-200 calories, not 1000.

This^^^

One of my MFP friends (not someone I know in real life) has a Endomon tracker or something that posts his burns. It is WAY CRAZY OFF! He posted his time after a Half Marathon so I know he is about as fast (or slow depending on how you look at it) as me. While he is a man and bigger than me, I know there is no way he is burning 1,300 calories in a half hour of running when he is doing a 5 mph or so pace and not 26 mph! Every time I see these insane burns posted on my home page, I always just want to comment and make sure he knows they aren't real, but I am sure he has figured that out by now.

I have had days where MFP and my fitbit adjustment tells me I have burned over 1,000 calories. I know I got in a good workout and figure that it is about half right.

To sbjchristy - I am glad that your workouts are working for you now and you are losing weight and body fat. But like others have been trying to tell you, unless these "laps" are in fact a mile long each and not laps around a track that are about 1/4 mile each, you are doing yourself a disservice by thinking you are burning 1,000 calories. Yes, everyone is different, but no one is that different.
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    oh wait, let me get my measuring tape? lol, really? I have no idea how many meters. I walk over an hour.

And how do you know this about a 150 lb person? That information has nothing to do with it. two people with different ratios of body fat and muscle mass both weighing 150 lbs will not burn the same amount of calories doing the same exercise.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    oh wait, let me get my measuring tape? lol, really? I have no idea how many meters. I walk over an hour.

And how do you know this about a 150 lb person? That information has nothing to do with it. two people with different ratios of body fat and muscle mass both weighing 150 lbs will not burn the same amount of calories doing the same exercise.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Read ... learn ... grow.

If you think you're burning 1000 calories during a one hour walk at 150 lbs then you are ... well ... wrong. No calculator or device is 100% accurate. That said, you are not 10-20 standard deviations off the norm.
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    why do you care to comment to tell him that his calorie burn is way off?
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM with a chest strap and I am going to start using it to track my caloires. I also wear a Fitbit which tracks my steps. But I am excited to start seeing what is going on with the HRM. I have not used one before. I weigh 270lbs and I am sure it will be easier for me to hit big number while at this weight, than it will be for me to hit the same numbers in lets say 20lbs.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    why do you care to comment to tell him that his calorie burn is way off?

Because when fertilizer worthy aren't corrected people start thinking they might be right and they gain a following.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I see you got your information from a page that uses statistical information based on probably a limited amount of people. Not everyone's body type is the same, there's gender, muscle mass, body fat, height, age etc, etc....

Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

Based on my body's reaction to my workouts, I am losing at a great rate.

But then, I don't recall asking you to question the techinical device I use to assist me in my goals. So far, it's working well for ME. I've lost 17 lbs within 7-8 weeks, my body fat has dropped and so have my inches.

Thanks for your critical advise.

17 lbs of pure body fat in 7 weeks. Amazing. Outstanding.