Replies

• shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Sauna, Exercise bike, Leg lifts
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Well, the one day I burned an insane amount of calories I did a crazy hike with my hrm for about 3 hours and my hr was always betwwen 170 and 190.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    When I do my long runs, like 8 miles or more, I burn well over a thousand calories :) I use those days as my "I get to eat barbecue and drink beer" days!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of beer on "Long Run Saturdays"! 20 miler this Saturday = Look out local establishments! Here I come!
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It kills me when I see that people have burnt over 1000 calories in a day by doing activities like Fishing, Housework, Gardening, etc, etc. I tend to think that people who are counting those types of activities are probably grossly over estimating how many calories they are "exercising" off. I don't think of any of those activities as exercise.

Like someone else said a ways back....I burn 300-400 calories a day and I am able to eat a fulfilling amount. This is a lifestyle I can manage forever. I don't have the time to exercise enough to burn 1000+, some people do have the time and I say more power to them. Whatever works for you to hit your goal is the best plan for you. Whatever works for me to hit my goal is the best plan for me :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a questions for you all. I also wear a HRM with a chest strap when I exercise, and I have burned over 1,000 cals the last couple of times I have exercised. Now to my question: How many of those do you eat back??? I have a large deficit most days, but I have alot of weight I want to lose (over 100 lbs.) I am also nursing my 7 month old.

I usually eat them back... most, anyway. I run because I love to run and I want to get faster and go longer. The fact that I want to lose a few lbs is secondary. I don't run to eat; I eat to fuel my athletic performance, so I have my goal set to lose half a pound per week and I eat a net of somewhere just over my BMR. I don't mind losing super slowly.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I swim/bike/run in various combinations throughout the week.

this, plus lifting.

being a 218lb guy helps with burning a lot of calories, but it also has to do with your intensity and how often you change things up. if you constantly follow the same routine, you WILL get used to it.

i like metabolic conditioning to help keep things interesting. my current favorite is "helen," which is three rounds of a 1/4 mile run, 12 pull ups (inverted rows if you can't do pull ups yet), and 21 kettle bell swings. little to no resting between sets and reps, and go for time.
  • nadiahamidi
    Options
    I usually train twice a day! I do muay thai so there's a lot of cardio involved. Each session burns around 800 calories.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If I can burn 3500 a week on the treadmill and reclining bike I'm happy....Much better than holding the couch down...
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I can burn about 1100 to 1300 calories biking outdoors for approx 2 hours @ 12 - 14mph ... HRM verified. Some intense cardio workouts from Shaun T to Zumba can burn anywhere from 400 to 700 calories in 60 min at high intensity. Some of us combine multiple workouts in one day and can reach in excess of 2000 calories burned. It is not about being obsessive ... not for me anyways. I actually love my workouts and if it is a nice day outside ... I might just bike / walk / swim for 2 to 4 hours burning an incredible amount of calories.

The important thing to recognize here is that the calories burned is not as important as enjoying what your doing to burn them. The same problems exist with too many calories burned as it does with no extra calories to gain ... food consumption. It is just as difficult to balance out your intake with such a surplus as it is to portion out limited calories. It truly is not a " one size fits all " mentality. I would suggest to anybody who is looking to burn more calories find the real " desire " behind the idea. If your just looking to eat more ... then do your homework on the density foods ( protein ) that give you more choices for less calories.

Example being : I could eat grilled salmon, spinach and a sweet potato three times a day to one serving of a " normal " carb intensified meal. Carbs are not a bad source of calories ... but the type of carbs you consume can be the determining factor of why you feel deprived and want more.

If your looking to burn more calories to maintain a decent calorie deficit ( this is the situation when people spend more calories than they consume (eat). In other words, calories in is less than calories out ) .... in order to lose a healthy amount of fat each week ... you will need to know your numbers. RMR, BMR, TDEE and BMI ... all play a role in figuring out what your body actually needs.

I would never tell somebody you have to work out excessively for 2 or more hours a day to get a lot of extra calories to consume ... that is just not realistic. Those of us who achieve this ... is not because we have to, it's because we want to ... we thoroughly enjoy our workouts and we benefit from the adrenaline that puts our body at a level of pure exhaustion ... a sign of accomplishment that an athlete feels when they have won the competition.

The bottom line is most people only need to exercise 30 min a day ... 6 days a week with 1 rest day. Alternating cardio days with 3 days of strength training ( weights / lifting ). If you can manage a 6 day / 1 hr workout week ... then I would get some walking in each day ... it's the most effective form of exercise from health point of view based on cardiovascular health. It is also a huge contributing factor to a lot of people's success in this journey for better health.

Macros are important ... but unless you are really into knowing the numbers ... the safest bet is a 40 / 30 / 30 Ratio ( Carbs / Fat / Protein ). There are some that will argue that til the day they die ... but again, if your not looking to win any body building competitions ... this ratio is just fine.

Also be aware of the fact that " theories " change everyday ... but the science doesn't. 3500 calories burned is 1 pound lost ... a deficit of 500 calories a day = 1 pound a week loss. ( 7 day x 500 cal = 3500 ). But you must understand there is a difference in losing 1 pound a week ... is it fat or is it muscle ? The only way to prevent losing muscle is to eat healthy and enough calories to support your burn. Don't get carried away with the calorie deficit. Depending on how much weight you need to lose ... the healthy normal loss is 1 to 2 lbs a week. Anything above that will increase muscle loss ... sure your scale will go down ... but not in a good way ... your appearance as well as your energy will deplete. Try to make healthy choices ...

This journey is not a race ... there are no winners because there are no opponents ... what works for one doesn't necessarily mean it will work for the next person. You just have to try new things and find what works for you. We all have a path ... just find yours and begin the transformation ... slowly and happily.

Hope this information at least made you think ... Have an awesome day ! :flowerforyou:
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When I was really big, I used to burn 1000+ easily each day. Not so much anymore. I have to workout for a couple hours to burn that much now.
  • madmax0412
    madmax0412 Posts: 65
    Options
    Throwing my 2 cents in here...

I have an HRM and regularly hit 1000+ calories burned. I don't trust the MFP calculations AND I want to get the most out of my tracking so for me buying an HRM was really the only option.

Any type of exercise or routine that really gets the heart rate at 80-90% of max for a sustained period of time really makes me sweat and burn calories. I'm currently doing P90X and riding my bicycle so yes, I frequently burn a 1000+ calories.

My brother is a fitness fanatic and I've seen him burn as much as 2600 calories in one session. Then again, he's training for a triathlon. Healthy sibling rivalry FTW!
  • madmax0412
    madmax0412 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm NOT one of those folks! However, I think the exercise calories are skewed. I spent several hours picking up sticks and pine cones, and carrying lawn bags to the street, and supposedly I burned over 1000 calories. There's no way, as I wasn't even sweating that hard. I think that the General Gardening must include lifting 50 pound bags of potting soil or something to give out those kind of calorie burns!

Which is why you shouldn't count stuff like that.

LOL. I had to laugh at this. Great point. I see one of my mfp folks adding stuff like, "Cleaned the Garage - 425 Calories". I think most of us have a good idea of what truly should be considered exercise and what isn't. If I'm pulling weeds out my front lawn then that's not something that's going to get added to my diary. But hey, that's just me.
  • peachyolives
    peachyolives Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I generally burn at least 1000 calories during my workouts. I actually have that as my goal most days. Of course, I know it's not always totally accurate since I'm not using a HRM, but I figure if it's working (I'm maintaining or losing weight) then that's what matters. Additionally, I generally use similar equipment at the gym - I do spinning classes, elliptical and treadmill - so they tend to be consistent across workouts so I can see when I'm improving by the calorie burn going up over the same period of time.

I tend to burn about 1,000 calories in 70 minutes of spin class - this is crazy intense spin class, generally much tougher than most people are doing it, where you're dripping and soaked at the end - and/or from running 8 miles or so.

As far as improving your body overall, running has been my number one thing. Through running, even after only losing 10 pounds people I know comment on a drastic change in my body. I love running now, and not just for that benefit. If you're looking to burn calories, running is the way. I ran a marathon last weekend - burnt somewhere between 3,000-3,300 calories that day!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym last night and worked out for a full hour. I did a mix of cardio and strength training, but "only" burned about 660 cals. That's according to the "smartkey" system used at my gym. It calculates your calories burned based on your HR, height, age, and weight. Counting all the calories I burned from my average daily activity (I work in an upstairs office without the benefit of an elevator) and the calories from my workout, I probably did burn more than 1,000 cals yesterday.

Edited to add: I'm 35 years old, 5'4", and 250lbs

I'm sorry, but I disagree. 1 hour in the gym with a mix of cardio and weights is probably not burning 660 Cals. It might be if you are doing cardio in the 80%-90% max heart rate for 40 mins then really really hitting the weight hard, but even then I'd be skeptical.

This is the key point. The smartkey system does NOT "calculate" your burn. It "estimates" based on studies done on other people. They may well be pretty close to being accurate for you, but they could actually me massively off.

I stress this point not to be an arsehole but because over the months I've been here I've met a number of very frustrated people who weren't dropping weight when they thought they were doing everything right and sometimes the answer is in faithfully eating back the calories websites/machines tell them they burnt.

Here's the thing, though....I'm doing 2 sets of 15 with some fairly heavy weight. I forgot to mention, it's also calculating in my most recent bodyfat measurements so it's also taking into account my muscle mass. It has to be pretty accurate because I seem to be dropping weight pretty quickly and my bodyfat is consistently decreasing. I should also add that, if you reread my comment, I never said it was 100% accurate anyway. I was just clarifying that it's more accurate than the calorie burns here on MFP because the smartkey system has more personalized information to go on. It can't be much less accurate than a HRM because it's using more or less the same information. FYI, my HR usually reaches about 155-160bpm within the first five or six minutes of cardio. I usually peak out at 170ish (high for me), and it doesn't drop below 150pbm.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    some calisthenics, jump roping, a half hour run, 45 minutes of weights and a 4 mile walk before bed.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT one of those folks! However, I think the exercise calories are skewed. I spent several hours picking up sticks and pine cones, and carrying lawn bags to the street, and supposedly I burned over 1000 calories. There's no way, as I wasn't even sweating that hard. I think that the General Gardening must include lifting 50 pound bags of potting soil or something to give out those kind of calorie burns!

Which is why you shouldn't count stuff like that.

LOL. I had to laugh at this. Great point. I see one of my mfp folks adding stuff like, "Cleaned the Garage - 425 Calories". I think most of us have a good idea of what truly should be considered exercise and what isn't. If I'm pulling weeds out my front lawn then that's not something that's going to get added to my diary. But hey, that's just me.

Personally, I count any vigorous activity that I don't do EVERY day. I go to the gym every day, but I still count that. So why shouldn't I count a chore like mowing my lawn with a pushmower (I do this only once per week...maximum), which burns MAD calories and gets my HR higher than at the gym.

Edited to add: Whenever I use an MFP calorie burn estimate, I usually cut the projected calorie burn in half...at least.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I've started running long distances in preparation for my half marathon this month. On super long runs I can burn 1200 calories and up. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and in 90 minutes of Aussie Rules football training I burn about 1100 calories. Those trainings include a lot of short sprints, long sprints, calisthenics and a mile run at the start and end for warm up and cool down.

That being said, on days that I don't have footy training I struggle to get burns that high. When I do circuit training, I burn about 100 cals every 10 minutes (only if I go balls to the wall hard the entire time), and runs generally includes hills and stairs given where I live, but even then I usually end up around only around 500 or 600 for a 40 minute running workout.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new at this? what is HRM???
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm new at this? what is HRM???

Heart rate monitor.