People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

I love bikram yoga. Defiantly burns enough calories.. I also do a lot of cardio, running, stair master, walking - I always aim to burn at least 1000 calories a day
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When I run my half marathon distance I burn over 1,000 but it's not an every day type of thing, usually once a week if that :) I wear a Polar FT7 Heart Rate monitor :)
  • shawnp80134
    shawnp80134 Posts: 86
    Options
    I ride my bike back and forth to work... approx 12.5 miles with a lot of hills here in Colorado. Everytime I ride, I try to increase my mph average (sometimes successful, sometimes not). I use a Polar HRM, usually averaging around high 400's to low 500's calories burned each way. When I get to work, I spend 15 minutes doing weights, but I dont bother to record that.. to minimal I think.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Run a marathon? Do you even know how far that is? She would burn 2600+ from running a marathon. She would only have to run 10 miles to burn around 1000 calories which is something people do more often than you think.

Agreed. Plenty of people do........but most do not. The estimates are highly inflated - and really this doesn't matter, unless you rely on them to drive you caloric intake, in which case you may be netting out higher than you think.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, I probably weigh more than you, so I get bonus just for carrying my fat *kitten* around (haha). I run for 45 minutes in the morning, and later in the day for 60-90 minutes I have a pretty brisk walk that includes stairs and hills. I don't log any of my weight training, which would actually put me even higher in calories. I usually have 600-1100 extra calories a day. I also track using my fitbit.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I see :smile: So the answer is lots and lots and lots of cardio dependent on weight. I was wondering if it was specific activities or something? For what it's worth, I only exercise 30-60 minutes a day and only log intentional exercise, and I'm 5'4 and 165. Perhaps one day I'll be getting these burns!

The ideal way to burn calories is to find something that you can do to elevate your heart rate and keep it elevated at a level you can sustain for a while (mid- to upper- "Cardio" range, which is age-dependent, gives you optimal burn and should be sustainable for a long time).

Higher heart rate means some muscle somewhere is calling for supplies. The legs tend to be the best muscles for cardio since they are the biggest set of muscles in most bodies. Don't push your heart rate above the "cardio" range for your age except for brief periods, as you really aren't burning that much more in terms of calories, you're switching to anaerobic exercise which will cause fatigue, and it could expose a heart or other health problem in a sudden and fatal way.

Don't forget to rotate out to the upper body occasionally just to build those muscles for a little more constant calorie burn, though.

Calories burned are very dependent on size (I'm 6' 3" and 218, so my burn will be a lot higher than yours for a given heart rate - there's more of me to burn calories!).
  • cortes1234
    cortes1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on the smaller side (5'1", 152lbs), so its much harder to burn 1000 calories (compared, for example, to a big guy). However, I do try to ride my bike to work once or twice a week. It's nearly 2 hours each way so I burn a total of 1700 calories. I definitely eat more on those days to make sure I fuel my body, but its easier to end up with a negative net for the day. Three hours of moderate hiking will also do it. Sometimes I'll work out in the morning 60-90 mins and then do something active in the evening like rock climb in the gym or meet girlfriends for an easy evening hike (instead of going for drinks). Basically, regularly burning 1000 in a day means you have to put the time in and really change your lifestyle into an active one. It's tough to do just in the gym alone...
  • kpal73
    kpal73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 116 and use a HRM that was calibrated after a metabolism test..If I run on the treadmill for 45 minutes the machine and MFpal tells me I have burned 500 calories. In reality its 300. I am not saying that these machines and site are not good..but they need to cater to a broad group of people. Lets face it..MFPal aims high to get you to use the site and is an estimate..would you be so motivated if you saw that you only burned 120 calories for running 20 minutes?
    A good estimate is roughly 100-130 ( for my weight) calories for every 15 minutes of high intensity aerobics.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

I weigh 180 and wear an HRM, I'm only burning approx 530. :huh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I also do not WANT to be one of those folks as I have no desire to spend that kind of time working out. I'd prefer to eat the way I am eating and burn between 400-500 per day doing what I'm doing now.

Same here. I'd need to run over 10 miles to burn 1000, and while I'd like to be able to do that... I have the attention span of a gnat. I have a hard time sitting still long enough to watch a movie. I don't want to run for almost 2 hours straight. The only thing I want to do for more than two hours in a row is sleep.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    I'm skeptical of any burn that high, especially when you see the diaries of many of these people and they're only eating 1000 cals a day. Biological law says, you can't keep doing that day after day without serious health consequences.

If I see a diary where someone's burning 1000 cals a day and consuming 2500, I'd be more inclined to believe the burn is truly that high. Haven't seen it yet.

Really? Many of my friends have diaries like you are describing. My average calorie intake is between 2200 and 2400 and my NET is between 1400 and 1600 every day. I am not losing weight very quickly, but in the past two months, I am down a solid 2 pant sizes and have gone from 2X shirts to XL.
  • SteveTries
    Options
    I am 116 and use a HRM that was calibrated after a metabolism test..If I run on the treadmill for 45 minutes the machine and MFpal tells me I have burned 500 calories. In reality its 300. I am not saying that these machines and site are not good..but they need to cater to a broad group of people. Lets face it..MFPal aims high to get you to use the site and is an estimate..would you be so motivated if you saw that you only burned 120 calories for running 20 minutes?
    A good estimate is roughly 100-130 ( for my weight) calories for every 15 minutes of high intensity aerobics.

Yes!!!!
  • SteveTries
    Options
    I'm skeptical of any burn that high, especially when you see the diaries of many of these people and they're only eating 1000 cals a day. Biological law says, you can't keep doing that day after day without serious health consequences.

If I see a diary where someone's burning 1000 cals a day and consuming 2500, I'd be more inclined to believe the burn is truly that high. Haven't seen it yet.

Really? Many of my friends have diaries like you are describing. My average calorie intake is between 2200 and 2400 and my NET is between 1400 and 1600 every day. I am not losing weight very quickly, but in the past two months, I am down a solid 2 pant sizes and have gone from 2X shirts to XL.

Well there you go. With a 1000Cal net defecit you should be dropping over 2lbs a week, but you say you are not achieving that. Could that not be because your defecit is not as large as you believe?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

Well there you go. With a 1000Cal net defecit you should be dropping over 2lbs a week, but you say you are not achieving that. Could that not be because your defecit is not as large as you believe?

I am not aiming for a 2 pound a week loss. I cycle back and forth between 1/2 to 1 pound a week setting on the site. To get a 1000 calorie deficit at my height, I have to eat 500 below BMR. I am not a happy girl at that intake, and I can't keep up my intensity of working out for more than 1-2 days a week if I eat that low.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym last night and worked out for a full hour. I did a mix of cardio and strength training, but "only" burned about 660 cals. That's according to the "smartkey" system used at my gym. It calculates your calories burned based on your HR, height, age, and weight. Counting all the calories I burned from my average daily activity (I work in an upstairs office without the benefit of an elevator) and the calories from my workout, I probably did burn more than 1,000 cals yesterday.

Edited to add: I'm 35 years old, 5'4", and 250lbs
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    wow! I must be totally doing it all wrong!!!!! I'm sooo disappointed that I'm not burning that many calories, especially for a Saturday night that I want to go out and have drinks.

I'm 32 yrs old, 5 feet tall and weight 121lbs.

I do P90X and burn about 300 calories, running for 50 mins about 6.5km burn about 500 calories, ice hockey about 450 calories, treadmill 50 mins about 350 calories, Les Mills Combat class at the gym, about 525 calories.

I have a heart rate monitor that I use every time with a chest strap.

What do you think I'm doing wrong? Please help?

You're not doing it wrong. You won't be able to burn 1000 in an hour. At 121 lbs you'd probably have to work out hard for almost 3 hours to burn 1000 calories... like, run a marathon.

Run a marathon? Do you even know how far that is? She would burn 2600+ from running a marathon. She would only have to run 10 miles to burn around 1000 calories which is something people do more often than you think.

Thank you, yes. I ran roughly 10 miles the other day... that was the 1164 calories I burned at 178 lbs. I don't think she's going to burn that many at 121 lbs. Sorry for my exaggeration... perhaps she needs only half-marathon distance (or 13 miles) to burn over 1000 calories.

EDITED TO ADD: She's reporting burns of 300-500/hour doing relatively strenuous cardio. I'm suggesting it's simple math. She may have to do 2-3 hours to get over 1000.
  • SteveTries
    Options

I am not aiming for a 2 pound a week loss. I cycle back and forth between 1/2 to 1 pound a week setting on the site.

Understood - the point is that you stated you are daily netting a 1000 defecit.
    I'm challenging that because if you were actually achieving 1000 defecit you'd be dropping 2lbs a week whether thats your goal or not. Therefore the defecit cannot be as great as you think it is because the caloric burn is being overestimated

Or have I misunderstood your post?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

I am not aiming for a 2 pound a week loss. I cycle back and forth between 1/2 to 1 pound a week setting on the site.

Understood - the point is that you stated you are daily netting a 1000 defecit.
    I'm challenging that because if you were actually achieving 1000 defecit you'd be dropping 2lbs a week whether thats your goal or not. Therefore the defecit cannot be as great as you think it is because the caloric burn is being overestimated

Or have I misunderstood your post?

You misunderstood my post. My NET is supposed to be around 1500 calories a day for 1 lb a week loss. If I add 1000 calories in exercise, I eat that extra 1000 calories. I do everything I can, even on the high burn days, to keep a NET over 1500, less than 1700. On those days, I will consume well over 2000 calories. If I can't reach my goal intake, then I will eat over my NET on a rest day. My deficit at these settings is probably just a little less than 500 a day.
  • priescm
    priescm Posts: 95
    Options
    I walk my dogs for an hour: approx 200 calories.
    I use and elliptical for 45 minutes: approx 500 calories.
    I do 30ds: approx 150 calories.
    I jog for 20 minutes: approx 200 calories.

That's 1050 calories on an average day...in roughly 3 hours.

Some days I do more, some days I do less.

On days I do more, I burn around 1200-1400...
    days I do less, I burn around 500-700...

I just wear my HRM for everything so I have a more accurate count. :)
    I'm also 22 years old, 225lbs, and 5'7.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm going all out each time. Circuit cardio drills. Circuit lifting drills. If I get on the treadmill, I don't go slower than 6.0, and I do the hills workout. You'll feel that. I have a sequence of things I do in one of my small blogs. Good luck!