People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never said i was 150 lbs. where did that come from?
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    why do you care to comment to tell him that his calorie burn is way off?

I don't comment to tell him that his burn is way off as, like I said, I am sure he has figured it out. Just like I know that the burn that posts for me is generally off, but nowhere near as off as his is. I just know that there are people out there who may actually believe the wrong burns that they are seeing and that isn't going to help them in the long run. And I also see that no matter how many people on a forum try and tell them that it is wrong, they aren't going to believe it.
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure if it's all body fat. "but" i drop 2 pant sizes. I already need new bras. lol

Everyone is different, that's all I was "trying" to say. But everyone thinks they know everything. If "we" did, we'd all be skinny by now.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories. I am a fairly petite girl, but I had to work hard for that calorie burn! I use my heart rate monitor that was calibrated by an exercise physiologist using my measured resting metabolic rate, my measured VO2max and my lactate threshold. I just don't see how someone doing a few miles or an hours worth of working out has that kind of calorie burn unless you are humongous!

220 lb x running 6.0 mph = 1000 cal/hr

That's a constant effort. Which is why, even if someone is even heavier, it is virtually impossible to burn 1000 calories in an hour of Zumba or any other exercise class.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I dunno. Not putting words in anyone's mouth, but it could be because THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT CALORIE BURNS.

That might have something to do with it, but then I'm just speculating.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I dunno. Not putting words in anyone's mouth, but it could be because THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT CALORIE BURNS.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM when you're getting these numbers? MFP exercise estimates are not correct, in fact, they measure much higher than a HRM. I realize an HRM is also an estimate, however I trust that number over what MFP says a general burn is.

This isn't true. It may be true for some people for some exercises, but most definitely not true across the board. Running and walking on MFP, for a larger person, are quite a bit underestimated.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Light cleaning mostly. Some dog walking.
    Lol

Wut?
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options

+1

I find it's easier and probably closer to my actual burn to use rules of thumb like "90 calories per mile."

It's nice when my HRM and my Fitbit agree with me, to within 100 calories. Every. Time.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I see you got your information from a page that uses statistical information based on probably a limited amount of people. Not everyone's body type is the same, there's gender, muscle mass, body fat, height, age etc, etc....

Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

Based on my body's reaction to my workouts, I am losing at a great rate.

But then, I don't recall asking you to question the techinical device I use to assist me in my goals. So far, it's working well for ME. I've lost 17 lbs within 7-8 weeks, my body fat has dropped and so have my inches.

Thanks for your critical advise.

It's great that you are losing quickly - I'm just wondering, based on your calories burned calculations + your MFP deficit, what should your rate of loss be? Currently you are losing about 2 pounds per week...do you have MFP set at 2 pounds per week and are you then eating back your 1600 calories burned? If so, then I would say that your calorie burn estimates then do seem to be accurate and that's great for you!

Most people have been critical of your stated calorie burns because they want other people to recognize that it's not normal to burn 1600 calories from just over an hour of walking, even if you are carrying 2 pound dumb bells.
    Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

This statement that you made helps illustrate why HRMs are not exact measurements. Like I pointed out before, if you have two people of the same weight, height and body composition doing the same workout (especially walking, running, etc), they should have almost identical calorie burns regardless off their heart rate because the energy required to move their identical masses is not going to change. Their level of cardiovascular fitness will affect how fast their heart rate is, but your heart is a very small muscle in relation to the rest of your body and does not burn a whole lot of calories on it's own.

Think of this - say you have two women that are 200 pounds each and 5'8" each. One woman is 45% body fat out of shape and the other is 25% body fat and a conditioned athlete. They go for a walk together. The out of shape woman's heart rate is 160 bpm on average and the in shape woman's heart rate is 120 bpm on average. Do you truly believe that a woman who has 40 pounds more fat on her body than the fit woman will really burn more calories? Not going to happen.

FWIW, I regularly record burns of 1000+ calories from walking and running (mostly walking). It usually takes me 75 to 90 minutes to burn this much. I do a lot of hill climbing >10% incline and I'm tall and weigh quite a bit. I'm not saying it can't be done, but believing you are burning 1600 calories in just over an hour is a bit of a stretch. My weight loss has actually been greater than projected based on my recorded calorie burns + lightly active TDEE. I saw this after 1 month of logging everything I consume accurately and logging my exercise, and I'm still seeing the same 8 weeks in.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit 1000, but I burned 600 in 45 minutes of treadmill today.

I'm fat and very out of shape lol.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

for like 7 hours a day or something?
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Random question, what does it mean when someone has "MFP Moderator" under their name? I mean obviously they have something to do with MFP, but what?
  • MFPMol
    Options
  • MFPMol
    Options

for like 7 hours a day or something?

LOL. I think he is poking fun at the people who log cleaning and "Food prep".
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize this is a dead thread from 2012 that got revived a couple of times? Nobody from back then is going to answer your questions no matter how many times it's quoted........just say'n. :tongue:

Do you realize that the last two pages are posts from the last 24 hours .... or did you just look at page one then rush to the end to highlight when it started?

oh gosh...yes I do. I'm referring to the people who are replying to the folks that posted 2 years ago.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

C'mon. It's gotta be vigorous cleaning. Nobody does light cleaning and admits it.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

C'mon. It's gotta be vigorous cleaning. Nobody does light cleaning and admits it.
    :laugh:
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    lol