Quesion on cardio vs lifting

Options
I realize the topic of cardio vs weight training can get "heated", but I have a specific question I'm hoping someone with more biology/medical knowledge than I have can help me with.

The purpose of lifting is to build muscle. OK - I get that. The exertion causes muscle damage that, when repairing, the body builds more muscle. My question is, how is cardio different?

My personal example:
When I lift (specifically squats and leg presses), my legs get totally exhausted. By the end of the session, my legs are wobbly and the next day they are sore. All expected.
When I do a round of cardio on the elliptical, I "feel" the same thing. My legs are wiped, I can barely walk back down to the locker room, and the next day I get the same (feeling) of soreness.

So, my question: was muscle built doing the cardio? If not, what's the difference (biologically) between what is happening with the lifting vs what is happening with the elliptical?

Replies

• spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think a pertinent piece of information is missing - What level of resistance do you have on the elliptical?
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious about the responses you will get. I run and lift (I do sprints, short and long distances and lift pretty heavy - for a girl :wink: ). I never have the same soreness from running as I do from lifting, ever.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think a pertinent piece of information is missing - What level of resistance do you have on the elliptical?
    Well, the numbers are 4/1 and 10/8, but those are just numbers on that particular machine. I do 2 min intervals of 4 incline 1 resistance and 10 incline 8 resistance. The 4/1 is like being on a treadmill, the 10/8 is like running through very deep mud. Also, it varies - if I'm feeling great, I'll up the 4/1 a lot. If I'm really sluggish, I'll drop the 10/8 for the last 10 in or so (65 min workout).

Leg presses and squats also vary, but the numbers are more concrete. For squats (kettlebell), I do 20-45 pounds, again depending on how strong I'm feeling that day. Leg presses are always 90 pounds plus machine bar & contraption weight (estimate another 50 pounds).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cardiovascular.

it's main purpose is to challenge your cardiovascular system.

I'm not sure how long have you been working out- but after a while the wobbly leg/sore tired feeling goes away on running longer distance type events.

unless you are drastically changing through intervals or fartleks and sprinting or hill work- eventually your muscles adapt to the running- and the work becomes all focused on the heart/lungs.

You're body will adapt to weight training as well if you do not challenge it and move on to a harder/heavier variation.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I get the difference in definition. Cardio is for cardio, weight training is for muscles. I know that eventually, any exercise will "get easier" as your muscles develop. My question is about that muscle development in the first place.

I have read it here (and other fitness sites) over and over (and even implied in your response) that "cardio is for cardio and lifting is for muscles" and "you can't build muscle doing cardio". What I haven't ever seen is a complete explanation of "why".

Squats is pushing the leg muscles using resistance (weight + gravity).
    Elliptical is pushing the leg muscles using resistance (settings on the machine).

Why would the first one build muscle and the second one not?
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in finding this out...

My initial thought is cardio, even with the incline, you are still only carrying your own body weight -something you do all day long. WIth Weight training you are adding the weights to that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see answers, but from what I can determine, it relates to different muscle fibre types being recruited for different types of exercise and neural adaptations that result from weight training: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/muscle-hypertrophy-physiology-how-to-lift-weights-maximize-mass.htm
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I get the difference in definition. Cardio is for cardio, weight training is for muscles. I know that eventually, any exercise will "get easier" as your muscles develop. My question is about that muscle development in the first place.

I have read it here (and other fitness sites) over and over (and even implied in your response) that "cardio is for cardio and lifting is for muscles" and "you can't build muscle doing cardio". What I haven't ever seen is a complete explanation of "why".

Elliptical is pushing the leg muscles using resistance (settings on the machine).

if you have NEVER run- you will build muscle doing cardio.

But the bulk of people are doing steady state cardio and are not challenging their body enough to grow.

If you are progressively loading the muscle- then yes it will get stronger- but 1.) most peopled do not challenge the muscle enough and 2.) the challenge at some point even's out and is not enough

and the elliptical is never going to challenge you the same weigh as add weight will.

Maybe to start- but ultimately it's just not the same thing- you will reach your max capacity on the elliptical- you're body is amazing at adapting.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    JoRocka is right. If you're either out of shape, have weak legs, or are running and walking on inclines for the first time, then your legs are not used to it and are probably building muscle based on this new activity that you are doing. However, you can only do so much running and have so much of an incline before your legs become used to it, and then it becomes strictly cardiovascular. Lifting weights is always about adding more weights to keep it challenging, and there are more variations of leg exercises than running and ellpticals have.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious about the responses you will get. I run and lift (I do sprints, short and long distances and lift pretty heavy - for a girl :wink: ). I never have the same soreness from running as I do from lifting, ever.

I am curious, too, because I have had equivalent amounts of soreness on various parts of my body (not just my legs) when I do distance running as I have had when lifting. There is more variation that can be done for sure, and I doubt anyone is disputing that, but depending on the cardio that you're engaging in -- such as TurboFire vs. distance running -- would that not count as resistance training with the kind of work one is putting into it?

Dear MFPverse: EDUCATE ME!!!! (please)
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer to your question, but one thing occurred to me when I thought about the idea of running/building muscle, and it is perfectly represented in this photo: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHnMRiwCUAAgdgN.jpg . Sorry, not sure how to pst. Clearly, running does not build muscle (not 'serious' muscle), but I hope someone else can explain why.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    JoRocka is right. If you're either out of shape, have weak legs, or are running and walking on inclines for the first time, then your legs are not used to it and are probably building muscle based on this new activity that you are doing. However, you can only do so much running and have so much of an incline before your legs become used to it, and then it becomes strictly cardiovascular. Lifting weights is always about adding more weights to keep it challenging, and there are more variations of leg exercises than running and ellpticals have.

I disagree with that, up to a point. If you are running the same route at the same pace over and over and over again, then sure, of course it becomes cardiovascular. But if you are training for a race, or constantly changing up your route with hill and speed routines, or engaging in interval sprints, what have you -- I am really skeptical that this can only count as exclusively cardiovascular, because your body is never completely accustomed to what you are doing in your exercise routine.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I look at it like this - they are both building muscle initially. However, if you never "add weight" to either one, you will stop building muscle regardless of what you're doing.
    If you only ever squat with the bar, and never add additional weight, you'll stop building muscle. By adding weight to the bar, you add muscle. With cardio, you're not adding weight. While you may add some resistance for a while, ultimately, you'll max out on that.
    Weight training does not significantly work your heart and lungs, whereas cardio does. While you may breathe a little harder while you're doing a heavy squat, you're not building cardiovascular endurance like you are on the eliptical. So, the cardiovascular workout is really, in the end, for your cardiovascular endurance.
    The weight training - increasing the weight load incrementally - is building muscle, but it's not doing much for your cardiovascular endurance.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ....I have read it here (and other fitness sites) over and over (and even implied in your response) that "cardio is for cardio and lifting is for muscles" and "you can't build muscle doing cardio". What I haven't ever seen is a complete explanation of "why".

Elliptical is pushing the leg muscles using resistance (settings on the machine).....

because you aren't challenging your muscles in a way that stresses them to grow or get stronger. if you are completely untrained, you would be challenged initially by the elliptical but it won't last for very long. just like if you spent the last 3 years in a coma you would build leg muscles simply by walking. but once you're past that beginning stage, you're only building endurance, not strength or mass.

even on it's hardest setting, you'd be able to push the elliptical pedals for several, perhaps even dozens of minutes, until your heart/lungs were exhausted. doing a set of heavy squats, you'd only be able to mange several, perhaps even dozens of *seconds*, until you were forced to stop because your *legs* were exhausted.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others. Your body will eventually get used to it as you get in better shape. And there's nothing wrong with it. But you're not going to build muscle doing cardio. You can lean out, but it won't build new muscle.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In for info!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Type I muscle fibers are being trained during your aerobic workout...Type II muscle fibers are being trained when you do resistance training with low to moderate rep ranges and relatively heavy weights. Type II muscle fibers can be broken down into 2A and 2B with type 2B fibers being responsible for explosive movements as you would see in Olympic type lifts like a clean and jerk or snatch and 2A for short to moderate duration, moderate to high intensity work as seen in most lifting routines.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Type I muscle fibers are being trained during your aerobic workout...Type II muscle fibers are being trained when you do resistance training with low to moderate rep ranges and relatively heavy weights. Type II muscle fibers can be broken down into 2A and 2B with type 2B fibers being responsible for explosive movements as you would see in Olympic type lifts like a clean and jerk or snatch and 2A for short to moderate duration, moderate to high intensity work as seen in most lifting routines.

Agreed. Type 1 is sometimes called slow twitch; Type 2 fast twitch. Slow twitch is generally a smaller fiber and responds to steady-state endurance training, usually by becoming stronger without much change in size. Fast twitch responds to sprints and strength training.

It takes a lot to get Type 1 muscle fibers to grow. Examples are world class cyclists, marathoners, etc. These people will have greater percentages of slow twitch fibers and may gain some size from the long endurance racing, generally in the lower body, where the muscles are taxed more. For most of the population, routine cardio endurance is too little to make the muscles grow beyond a certain point. Unless you're running marathons regularly, riding bikes in long endurance races, etc., you're not going to see much in the way of Type 1 growth.

Fast twitch is more responsive to hormones and to breaking down and building up through strength training and HIIT.

Some people are genetically predisposed to one type of muscle fiber over another.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    well- unless you are lifting explosively (I do not typically) I still don't think you are hitting those fast twitch muscles. That type of training applies to lifting and running. I don't think you can just say 'cardio' hits slow and 'weights hit fast' (or vice versa) because you can train fast twitch with running and lifting- same as you can train slow twitch with weights and running... unless I'm totally completely mis-reading this.

I kind of missed this point in responding to the OP. But I think it's important to not quantify or try to explain away your work.

There is no "lifting heavy for a girl" vs lifting heavy for a guy.

I'f you are safely but working hard at lifting from 0-5 or 5-10 depending on goals and diet- that qualifies as heavy.

It doesn't matter your age- ability or gender.

It's heavy.

Never excuse your hard work.

unless you aren't working hard. ;)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Following to read later.