People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

What's a sesh?

Session.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

What's a sesh?

Session.

Totes
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bicycle. Mostly moderate/fast, training for competition.

Not a heart-rate estimate, but measured with a power meter (strictly, a force or torque meter multiplied by cadence). Burning 10 calories per minute takes about 167 Watts (assuming ~22% metabolic efficiency).

I did a 6 hour ride two Mondays ago. 170 km (105 miles or so). 3,680 calories.

EDIT - I just saw the add-on regarding 1,000 calories per hour. I can only achieve that when motivated, reasonably rested (no hard ride the day before) and in long time trials (40 km) or hard road races. It takes about 280 W of power to burn that in an hour - irrespective of rider mass. Larger riders find it easier to generate these amounts.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Last 10k and lifting, just shy of 1,100 calories. Boy those are fun days!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I ride a bike at least 10 miles a day...Works like a charm.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I burn over 1K almost every day cycling. 1.5-2 hours in the saddle at a 20-24mph pace will do it pretty easily.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I *can* burn over 1000 a day if I cycle enough. I don't do it every day though. Only really happens on rides that are over 2 hours (unless they are particularly hilly.)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    So, in this thread, we've had:
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories.
    I ran 22 miles yesterday. Burned 1900 plus change. Argue with my Garmin.

In both cases, a) GOOD SHOW! and b)close enough for government work:

13.1*90 = 1179

22*90 = 1980

To runners and walkers = multiply your distance * 90 (woman) or 110 (man). This equation works. Use it.

It works if you are a petite woman at or near goal weight. Otherwise, the METs required will be higher for taller, larger people and will also depend on the incline.

Agreed. That formula is quite a way off for me (5'6" and 192lbs). I track my TDEE (based on my Fitbit data with HRM calorie adjustments for steady state cardio) as well as my calorie intake. I have these on a spreadsheet so can see a rolling average of both TDEE & cals in along side weight loss. Allowing for the odd drunken "I think I drank" post session logging, the fact I'm a bit lazy at weighing vegetables (except p0tatoes) and assuming 3500cals = 1lb loss, my loss since the start of the year is within 7% of what the calorie deficit predicts. Using the formula you posted and checking on a number of my runs over distances from 5k to 10 miles I'd be over-estimating my calorie burn by approx 40% and as running is my main calorie burning exercise then I'd definitely be seeing it in my data. So whilst I know that HRM, Fitbit and even my food logging all have elements of error for me they are within a tolerance that I'm happy to accept.

That said, thanks for the formula as if my loss does start to slow more than I'd expect I can re-evaluate the data I have against it as another reference point

Sorry, [/geek mode off] :bigsmile:
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Random question, what does it mean when someone has "MFP Moderator" under their name? I mean obviously they have something to do with MFP, but what?

They moderate stuff

Ooooooh, got it. Thanks! :laugh:
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    It will also depend on a persons weight.. I am very over weight so when walk 5 miles I burn around 1200 cals... as my weight has started to come down I have to either walk further or faster for the same results.. also some day I do cardio aerobics for 30 - 45 mins then walk a few miles.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    One example for me:
    6 km run at an average sped of 7:28 min/km burns 621 calories. Added to that my fitbit adjustment of 367 calories burned (17,155) steps for the day got me 988 calories burned.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You could have a 200 pound marathoner walk 3 miles an hour or a 200 pound couch potato walk the same distance and, all other things being equal (body composition), they will burn roughly the same number of calories even if the couch potato's heart rate is 50 bpm faster. There's actually a very real possibility that the marathoner would burn MORE calories simply because they would likely have more muscle mass, but that's another thing altogether, and then you have to account for RMR and determine net burn, etc.

So why have a HRM in the first place?

Because the main/original use of a HRM is as a training aid, not as a weight-loss estimator. The more you deviate from the independent metric (in this case, heart rate) by adding factors such as metabolic burn rate, activity type, etc. the less accurate they are.

If I watch a horror movie or my wife in lingerie my HR goes up by about 50 beats. Doesn't mean I'm suddenly burning 1,000 cal/hour.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options

LOVE Bikram (and all types of yoga in general)! It makes me sweat like a *kitten* in church. Your profile pic is amazing! I'm not that good but hopefully one day.
    Bikram does not burn as much as you and many others think (myself included when i first began practicing). excessive sweating does not always correlate to calories burned.

I've also heard this. I don't practice to burn calories anyways (I do other classes/workouts for calorie burns) I love yoga for the relaxation aspect (Yin Yoga) and to increase my flexibility :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Biking and lots of it. Word of note: if you end up with 3000+ calories you will need to manually figure your macros. Figure protein based on your weight multiplied by what's suggested for endurance sports, fat based on your protein, and fill the rest with carbs.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It will also depend on a persons weight.. I am very over weight so when walk 5 miles I burn around 1200 cals... as my weight has started to come down I have to either walk further or faster for the same results.. also some day I do cardio aerobics for 30 - 45 mins then walk a few miles.

Walking five miles is not burning 1200 net calories unless you are 500+ pounds and find a route that is entirely up a steep incline.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Walking five miles is not burning 1200 net calories unless you are 500+ pounds and find a route that is entirely up a steep incline.

At 500 pounds, level walking would probably be sufficient. 400lbs? Yeah, you'd need a hill.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

At 500 pounds, level walking would probably be sufficient. 400lbs? Yeah, you'd need a hill.

For net calories burned ... 500 doesn't get it done. It's amazing how many people on MFP are immune to mathematical principles, laws of thermodynamics, and other basics of physics.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! 1000 cals are for the weak. I want to hear from the people who burn 3000+ cals on a daily basis!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you can give yourself an hour and a half to 2 hrs, sometimes if you add yard work or something else the burn goes up more. I think I could get there with swimming or kickboxing for an hour and then some running or cycling or rollerblading for another 30-60 minutes.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Check me out. Road cycling man, it's where it's at. I am losing huge weight and eating near 3000 calories per day because of how much I'm burning between cycling and Stronglifts 5x5.