Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Who funded this thing?
    That's what I want to know!
    Here's the link to the CNN version of the study: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/27/health/diet-soda-weight-loss/
    The study was sponsored by the American Beverage Association, which includes Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola. So, this is not an unbiased scientific study, it's an industry-sponsored study. The weight loss results were over a 12-week period.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people actually fund studies that interest them.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I am 72 years old and eat and drink what ever I want. I just watch calories in calories out. Life is to short to get twisted up about some things. I don't care what you eat or drink, you are not going to get our of this world alive

Ia m with this lady here, tell you what I survived a ruptured brain anuerism, life is too short, drink the diet soda we all and up taking dirt naps anyway

^^THIS^^ all the way.

I agree, if drinking diet soda makes you happy, drink up! If it scares you, don't drink it. Free will is a wonderful thing.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Who funded this thing?
    That's what I want to know!

The National Beverage Association I believe.

Why does that matter? As I stated in my original post, this study is conclusive!

People who only drank water in this study lost less weight than those who drank diet soda. Why is that so hard to accept?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    i-759Qkcn-O.png
  • wheird
    Options
    The study is NOT conclusive, but it is interesting. I think it merits further investigation.
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If diet soda scares you, I suggest you never visit the EPA webpage that lists the contaminant levels allowed in tap water.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/#List

Enjoy!
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If diet soda scares you, I suggest you never visit the EPA webpage that lists the contaminant levels allowed in tap water.

Enjoy!

LOL!

bookmarking this. genius.
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    I always find it ironic when people recommend consuming a chemical *kitten* storm to promote health. Cyanide will help you lose weight too, and you only have to take it once.

I always find it ironic when people use emotion and bias to promote B.S.

Same with people who ignore science because they don't want to give up their bad habits and actually make an effort to get healthy.
  • wheird
    Options
    I always find it ironic when people recommend consuming a chemical *kitten* storm to promote health. Cyanide will help you lose weight too, and you only have to take it once.

Same with people who ignore science because they don't want to give up their bad habits and actually make an effort to get healthy.

Except I don't ignore science at all. :laugh:
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Water is the best for you captian obvious but meh everything these days is "bad" for you, haha ill have whatever I want in moderation thanks......
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I NEED DIET SODA FOR MY VODKA

This [/Thread] :drinker:
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

please provide actual science that proves diet soda is "unhealthy"
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't really see a lot of people on MFP bashing diet soda drinkers.

As others have said, we need to keep in mind that this study is biased.

Drink what you like, as for me I will drink regular soda because diet tastes funny (except for the dr pepper).
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Water is the best for you captian obvious but meh everything these days is "bad" for you, haha ill have whatever I want in moderation thanks......

Something in your home is KILLING YOU RIGHT NOW . Find out what it is on the News at 11!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IN FOR SCIENCE!!!

umm......will you be providing any? go ahead and get it, I'll wait
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The study is NOT conclusive, but it is interesting. I think it merits further investigation.

LOL. The results of their study is conclusive...those who only drank water in their study lost less weight than those who only drank water!

The study didn't include scientific findings or evidence as to WHY this was the case ;-)

For those of you who refuse to accept the findings because the study is "biased" because it was funded by the National Beverage Association, remember this one little fact, the National Beverage Association represents those companies (Coca-Cola & Pepsi) who are the biggest bottled water distributors in the world ;-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I knew it! All the people on here trash talking diet soda.

"Makes you crave sugar...It's poison...Causes you to bloat..." blah, blah, blah.

This study PROVES that diet soda drinkers lose more weight on average than those who just drank water while dieting. Case closed!

Stop trash talking diet soda! I love Diet Pepsi and have lost almost 80 lbs in 7.5 months while drinking it. ;-)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/wellness/health/2014/05/31/study-reported-people-drinking-diet-soda-lost-weight-drinking-water/9787445/
    It doesn't really "prove" anything. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Enjoy!

LOL!

bookmarking this. genius.

I really liked Asbestos - 7 million fibers per liter. Yum. Cyanide, mercury and thallium sounds like the perfect breakfast of champions for supervillains. And it all (and much more) comes free in your tap water!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

LOL. The results of their study is conclusive...those who only drank water in their study lost less weight than those who only drank water!

The study didn't include scientific findings or evidence as to WHY this was the case ;-)

For those of you who refuse to accept the findings because the study is "biased" because it was funded by the National Beverage Association, remember this one little fact, the National Beverage Association represents those companies (Coca-Cola & Pepsi) who are the biggest bottled water distributors in the world ;-)

Right, but you can get water out of a tap for free. You can't get Diet Coke for free. So there's no incentive to promote water consumption there, is there?

I'd like to see how "weight loss" was determined. Whether it was a body fat analysis or just stepping on a scale. Because if these people drank that much Diet Coke for 12 weeks it's likely they were dehydrated and that their "weight loss" was actually water loss.

Sorry. The study is faulty by design and meant to produce a favorable result.