Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I will stick with water....

+1

long term consistent drinking of diet drinks did yuckie things to me. when i gave them up, my health improved. i still have lasting negative effects in some areas, but some areas improved. I'll repeat... I will stick with water...

we all drink water...even diet soda drinkers...I get in at least 8 8oz cups a day...before I drink a diet coke...

So I have to ask tho what imporved? and what else changed? What are the "lasting negative effects"...

i lost 20 pounds off the bat. some of my headaches went away (after the initial withdrawal headaches). high blood pressure improved.

lasting negative effects... not proven, but... things that developed over the years and i 'think' it could have something to do with drinking lots of diet coke but i could be wrong: i am now lactose intolerant, never have been before. my stomach is also intolerant to other foods such as acid based foods(tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit, etc). like i said, could or could not be related, but i didn't have these issues before and developed them. but that's just what happened to me. ;)

so you stopped drinking diet soda...nothing else..nothing changed and you lost 20lbs...:noway: sure

and the bp didn't improve due to the 20lbs being gone???

being lactose intolerant isn't from drinking diet pop otherwise most type1 diabetics would be as well...ditto to the stomache issues..
    Lactose intolerance is very common in adults. It is rarely dangerous. Around 30 million American adults have some degree of lactose intolerance by age 20.
    •In Caucasians, lactose intolerance often develops in children older than age 5. In African Americans, the problem can occur as early as age 2.
    •The condition is normal among adults with Asian, African, or Native American heritage. It is less common in people of northern or western European backgrounds.

Other causes of lactose intolerance include:
    •Bowel surgery
    •Infections in the small intestine from viruses, bacteria, or parasites (most often seen in children, but can also occur in adults)
    •Intestinal diseases such as celiac sprue

from this

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000276.htm

That's why I said: not proven...

I just know what happened to me, that's all I know. :flowerforyou:
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    All adults of every species are lactose intolerant. Humans who continue to consume milk after infancy force their bodies to deal with the lactose. Along with the things that Stef mentioned, simply stopping consumption of dairy will eliminate your bodies ability to effectively deal with the lactose.

Humans are the only species to drink milk after infancy. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species. Cow's dairy is designed to add a thousand pounds to a calf. Why anyone trying to lose weight would drink dairy is beyond me. It is also loaded with hormones and antibiotics that can negatively effect a humans hormone imbalance and natural immune system. This is why puberty is hitting kids earlier and earlier as they continue to up the added hormones to milk.

Cow's dairy is strongly linked to type I diabetes.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/1/13.full.pdf
    92590-2804-nf86y-a.jpg

Point taken. However, this is a result of human interference and getting domesticated animals to adopt and nurse other domesticated animals.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    It is critically important to know where you get your information. As many of the previous replies have said, this study could very well be biased. Do your own research from a few different sources and form your OWN opinion. Anyone who does any amount of research from the internet/journals/books would find that the ingredients in diet soda are not exactly conducive with a healthy lifestyle.

I like to eat wholesome, natural foods/beverages that my body knows how to digest (ie: non or minimally processed food) This is simply the best option. It's common sense. But if you like soda, drink it! I drink it sometimes. Just in moderation.
    Everything in moderation.
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Also, people can get very nasty on these forums.... Did none of us learn to disagree respectfully? It is quite possible to have a strong, educated opinion (especially about something so trivial as SODA) without making other people feel silly or degraded. Yikes.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a study that said just the opposite last year...that diet soda proved to do more harm than good, especially in diabetics. That being said, I still have diet soda. I just try to have it in moderation...maybe one two liter per week if that. I'd like to not have it at all and just have regular soda once in a while, but I'm not ready for that yet. And as for cancer...there's a lot of things that probably cause cancer. Diet soda wouldn't be the only culprit.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Most Diet Sodas have NutraSweet (Aspartame) in them and NutraSweet contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) as one of its ingredients. MSG works directly on your nervous system to make you think something taste better.

So basically MSG works the same as all flavourings? Since, you know, taste comes from how your brain interprets what it picks up from receptors in your taste buds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are going to drink anything but water, then I suppose diet soda is the best choice for you.

I like diet soda perfectly well, but I wouldn't go that far! There are tons of beverages, hot and cold, that are just fine.

At present, this thread is making me want a nice glass of milk.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not sure it "proves" but the correlations of the study are nice to hear
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Please, quick show of "bumps" if you know anyone who has EVER DIED of aspertame?

Anyone? Anyone know of anyone close to them who has DIED of aspertame?

Rumor has it, my neighbor's cousin Jimmy has a friend in Rye New York whose 3rd cousin in Cuba died on a motorcycle from hitting asphalt. You said asphalt right?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I like to eat wholesome, natural foods/beverages that my body knows how to digest (ie: non or minimally processed food) This is simply the best option.
    I did 'LOL' when I clicked on your diary.
    What with all the talk of milk and the first entry for the day being processed milk.
    Then bread, turkey bacon and so on - finishing with peanut butter.

Thankfully, 'common sense' to me is that the body has no idea if a food is 'processed' or not, nor if it's 'natural' or not. In fact, most people have trouble setting out a congruent description of those I find!

Also, had you considered that telling people your way was the best and 'common sense' could make them feel silly and degraded if they don't follow your way?
  • geebusuk
    Options
    What? I don't think so. LOL
    And why don't you think so?
    As an idea:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/water-intoxication-much-water-too-much-201296.html
    7 litres of water in one case, 14 in another and so on.

From the testing done on rats (not great, but all we've got to go by), a bloke of around my weight (175lb or so), if I remember (as it was a while since I did the calculations) would have to drink around 400 cans of Coke Zero pretty quickly to have potentially fatal affects.

That's 133 litres or so - 10 to 20 times more than it would take the water to kill people. Also considerably more than body weight in water - to the point I'd be confidence that the Aspartame would literally be the least of your worries.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I like to eat wholesome, natural foods/beverages that my body knows how to digest (ie: non or minimally processed food) This is simply the best option.
    I did 'LOL' when I clicked on your diary.
    What with all the talk of milk and the first entry for the day being processed milk.
    Then bread, turkey bacon and so on - finishing with peanut butter.

Thankfully, 'common sense' to me is that the body has no idea if a food is 'processed' or not, nor if it's 'natural' or not. In fact, most people have trouble setting out a congruent description of those I find!

Also, had you considered that telling people your way was the best and 'common sense' could make them feel silly and degraded if they don't follow your way?

It wasn't peanut butter, it was a Fullbar. Clinically proven to help you lose weight, now with all-natural Slendesta.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Don't have experience with that area, I have to admit, because I'm a firm believer nuts should be 'all natural' and definitely not in any way 'processed' by human hands -
    Namely they should be left on the ground where they fall for the squirrels :P.

(And yes, I know - legumes or whatever - which are just as bad, as it goes :).)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    ok, now we are onto adults not drinking milk either , it is also very bad for you. :laugh:

oh dear.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1) Who did the study? "Researchers" is not a good enough citation
    2) One study versus hundreds
    3) I do what a wahnt
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Hundreds of studies showing what?

The only studies I've seen showing weight gain has again been a case that some people eat more after consuming artificial sweeteners, for whatever reason.
  • Ktanaqui
    Ktanaqui Posts: 35 Member
    Options

People with phenylketonuria should not have aspartame. That's about it.

My SIL is an epileptic and a diet soda addict, and she's never had a reaction in her 41 years. It could be that this person's late wife had PKU or that correlation =/= causation. (Though I am sorry for his loss. No one deserves to go through that either as he sick person or the sick person's loved one.)

I am not diagnosed PKU and yet I have an extremely severe reaction to aspartame. So, it's either not only people with PKU or I've gone 20 years with un-diagnosed PKU, beating all of the odds. Which seems more likely? And if the FDA will claim that noone can have an allergy/sensitivity to aspartame when there are very obviously people who do... it makes me extremely wary to believe any thing that they say about this so-called safe artificial sweetener.
  • DawnCO27
    DawnCO27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 2¢ :happy:

- Aspartame, which as of 2011 is the primary sweetener in Diet Pepsi, has been the subject of controversy, most notably in 1996 amid a 60 Minutes report[21] on concerns alleging that aspartame might be linked to the development of brain tumors in humans. Critics of Aspartame have expressed concerns that numerous health risks may be associated with its consumption; however, peer-reviewed comprehensive review articles and independent reviews by governmental regulatory bodies have analyzed the published research on the safety of aspartame and have described it as safe for consumption at current levels.[22][23][24] Aspartame has been deemed safe for human consumption by regulatory agencies in their respective countries,[24] including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.K. Food Standards Agency,[25] the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)[26] and Canada's Health Canada.[27]

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Pepsi#Composition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    All adults of every species are lactose intolerant. Humans who continue to consume milk after infancy force their bodies to deal with the lactose. Along with the things that Stef mentioned, simply stopping consumption of dairy will eliminate your bodies ability to effectively deal with the lactose.

Humans are the only species to drink milk after infancy. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species. Cow's dairy is designed to add a thousand pounds to a calf. Why anyone trying to lose weight would drink dairy is beyond me. It is also loaded with hormones and antibiotics that can negatively effect a humans hormone imbalance and natural immune system. This is why puberty is hitting kids earlier and earlier as they continue to up the added hormones to milk.

Cow's dairy is strongly linked to type I diabetes.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/1/13.full.pdf

we're also the only species that prefers to eat it's food cooked. we're the only species that prefers to drink from a glass instead of lapping our liquids up with our tongues. should i infer some cosmic meaning from these miscellaneous facts too?
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    This research is questionable at best. You have to ask yourself if the study is truly objective. Did a lobby group for the soft drink industry fund it? Did a soft drink company themselves fund this study? If the answer is "yes" to both, then throw out any validity.