Ketosis Diets???? LOW carb HIGH protein??? Weight Loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• scotco
    scotco Posts: 2
    Options
    Ideal Protein would be considered a Ketosis diet/protocol. I've been on it 1 week and lost 11lbs to far. I would guess that the first couple of weeks is just water weight and body cleansing.
    It's low carb, high protein, but not as crazy high protein as some programs.
    It's pricey and very controlled (no cheating), but so far so good. Lots of testimonials state that on it I should be able to lose 20lbs/month without working out which sounds great to me.
    I haven't been that hungry or have had crazy cravings like I had had on other programs.

I am going to commit to at least 2 months and see where I am at.

36194373.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight about 150 pounds doing Low Carb/Keto diet. It was very successful for me. I've learned more about clean eating. So that is what I do now. I'd say I eat Paleo. But I eat whatever I want. I don't track calories. But I don't eat ANYTHING processed. No GMO, No MSG, no chemical food additives. I try to eat local as much as possible. And I've found I can maintain my weight very easily not having to track Carbs just by eating clean.
  • ewjones080
    Options
    While the internet has dramatically changed our lives--in mostly a positive way--the bottom line is, it's not necessarily a good source of information for ANYTHING. Books do still have value. I only read the first page of responses and a couple I DISAGREED with and a couple I AGREED with, and one or two mentioned Phinney and Volek. I haven't read it, but I'm sure it is good. Gary Taubes also wrote a couple books on the subject. There's a great chapter toward the end of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes that takes about the chemistry and interaction of insulin, carbohydrates and fat cells. Essentially, fat cells are "told" by insulin to uptake more fat, so when insulin, and consequential carb/glucose levels are high, we gain fat.

The book also de-vilifies saturated fat and Cholestrol. Bottom line, when it comes to diet/health/weight loss, the science has become grossly incompetent from what I can gather.

Now in speaking in my own experience, the only problem I've had with a ketogenic diet is the cooking. I'm extremely lazy and I can't stand cooking EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL. Sometimes I just wanna order in, but there simply isn't anything can get cheap and quick that's also ketogenic.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    While the internet has dramatically changed our lives--in mostly a positive way--the bottom line is, it's not necessarily a good source of information for ANYTHING. Books do still have value. I only read the first page of responses and a couple I DISAGREED with and a couple I AGREED with, and one or two mentioned Phinney and Volek. I haven't read it, but I'm sure it is good. Gary Taubes also wrote a couple books on the subject. There's a great chapter toward the end of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes that takes about the chemistry and interaction of insulin, carbohydrates and fat cells. Essentially, fat cells are "told" by insulin to uptake more fat, so when insulin, and consequential carb/glucose levels are high, we gain fat.

The book also de-vilifies saturated fat and Cholestrol. Bottom line, when it comes to diet/health/weight loss, the science has become grossly incompetent from what I can gather.

Now in speaking in my own experience, the only problem I've had with a ketogenic diet is the cooking. I'm extremely lazy and I can't stand cooking EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL. Sometimes I just wanna order in, but there simply isn't anything can get cheap and quick that's also ketogenic.

LOL Taubes
  • ewjones080
    Options
    Here is the facts..

Does low carb work? Absolutley! You will indeed lose weight and fat.

Is it healthy? No, not really. Anytime you stress your body especially something like Ketosis can cause some unwanted additional side effects.

How does it work? Your body loves carbohydrates it is the preferred source of energy as it is quick and plentiful. If it has no carbohydarates the next step is too look for alternative energy sources which is fat! this does mean you will have depleted energy stores as using fat for fuel is a slow process, and since you will have little to no glycogen stores there is no chance of intense energy burst like you would get from carbohydrates. Your body will not get all the fuel it needs from fat so If your body has to use Protein for fuel it has to be converted from muscle, this is the last resort for the body and it puts stress on the body as it is converted in the liver. This is where Ketosis comes in, a process called gluconeogenesis converts protein to fuel you can only get abut 5-10% of the fuel you would get from carbohydrates so this why people often feel lethargic on low carb diets.

So in the end it is not ideal, but yes it does work. This is from experience as well as schooling as a Phys Ed Graduate and ACE certified trainer.

I'm saddened by the fact I can't find sources at the moment, but I have read stories of Ketogenic athletes that can do long and sustained exercise just fine. Even shattering records for marathon-like events. Also, I think you have a blatantly false claim in your thread, saying ketogenesis causes neoglucogenesis. The latter is caused by abnormally high levels of protein, without sufficient fat/carbs, while the former is the PROPER way to go as that is the ACCURATE diet to have. Neoglucogenesis doesn't happen, and purely fat burning occurs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most weight lost on a ketosis diet is water weight. Sure, you burn SOME fat, but all in all it's water, and here's why. When you cut carbs low enough to go into a state of ketosis, you're liver produces ketones to be used for energy since your body lacks the carbs it needs to produce energy. This in turn causes your liver to over load itself, and if kept on this diet long enough, could cause liver damage. Since your liver is what filters your urine, more water is used to try to keep your liver cleaned out of the ketones, which are very acidic. (ketoacidosis) Instead of trying all these fad diets, why not just have a lifestyle? everything in moderation, eat clean as much as possible, and the more fruits and veggies the better, without of course being a full on vegetarian.

This whole post is LOL.....................long term ketosis doesn't damage the liver. Indefinite ketogenic eating lifestyles are prescribed by doctors for those that are prone to epilepsy and also dialysis patients.

Ketoacidosis is a very serious condition that occurs in diabetics, not a healthy person.

Keto is a lifestyle for those that adopt it and if done correctly a person will slowly bring themselves out of ketosis and live a controlled carb lifestyle that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I lost 66 lbs of water on a ketogenic diet, and my waist went from pushing 40" to 32". No, wait......................
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Most weight lost on a ketosis diet is water weight. Sure, you burn SOME fat, but all in all it's water, and here's why. When you cut carbs low enough to go into a state of ketosis, you're liver produces ketones to be used for energy since your body lacks the carbs it needs to produce energy. This in turn causes your liver to over load itself, and if kept on this diet long enough, could cause liver damage. Since your liver is what filters your urine, more water is used to try to keep your liver cleaned out of the ketones, which are very acidic. (ketoacidosis) Instead of trying all these fad diets, why not just have a lifestyle? everything in moderation, eat clean as much as possible, and the more fruits and veggies the better, without of course being a full on vegetarian.

This whole post is LOL.....................long term ketosis doesn't damage the liver. Indefinite ketogenic eating lifestyles are prescribed by doctors for those that are prone to epilepsy and also dialysis patients.

Ketoacidosis is a very serious condition that occurs in diabetics, not a healthy person.

Keto is a lifestyle for those that adopt it and if done correctly a person will slowly bring themselves out of ketosis and live a controlled carb lifestyle that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.

What's LOL is that we are all on a zombie thread!

This one got dug up a couple of weeks ago.

I am a big fan of keto diets - I seldom dip low enough to get into proper ketosis - I normally hit around 100g - ish of carbs.

For one of the poster above a good source of information on elite athletes on low carb diets would be Tim Noakes (anything in the past 4 years).

From 1970's to about 2010 he was at the forefront of sports science and nutrition and wrote the book on carb fuelling for elite athletes.

Since that time and as new research and studies have come to light he has taken a complete 180 degrees switch in his stance and is now pro-low carb, high fat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    . If you go too low on your carbs you can seriously hurt yourself and possibly die. Look it up, a few have died from it because they went TOO low carb.

Look it up where? That's a pretty harsh thing to say with nothing to support it.

Exactly! There are people that live on Meat, fat and water - as close as you can get to ZERO carb and they are thriving.
  • Acg67
    Options
    . If you go too low on your carbs you can seriously hurt yourself and possibly die. Look it up, a few have died from it because they went TOO low carb.

Look it up where? That's a pretty harsh thing to say with nothing to support it.

Exactly! There are people that live on Meat, fat and water - as close as you can get to ZERO carb and they are thriving.

Ah yes, terrific logic as always, a very small sample of people eat close to zero carb and do fine so no one at all could potentially have deleterious effects from doing the same.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Ah yes, terrific logic as always, a very small sample of people eat close to zero carb and do fine so no one at all could potentially have deleterious effects from doing the same.

I don't think anyone is saying that a zero carb diet would be optimal for an active life style. But you could certainly survive on a zero carb diet - not sure you would want to, but you would.
  • Acg67
    Options

I don't think anyone is saying that a zero carb diet would be optimal for an active life style. But you could certainly survive on a zero carb diet - not sure you would want to, but you would.

She countered the poster saying super low carb could have some very adverse effects in some people by using an example that some people eat super low carb without issues. That is a logic fail