Lunch for Work?

Options
124»

Replies

• Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lunch:

Sandwich with pastrami, mustard and gerkin. (240kcal)
    Porridge pot. (270kcal)
    Occasionally a pulled beef sandwich of a falafel sandwich I buy in the supermarket (310kcal and 270kcal).
    Melba toast and hummus, plus a cheese stick.

Snack:
    fruit pot
    Special K chocolate moments biscuit
    Walker's French Fries or another low calorie crispy snack.

I also try to drink loads of water. What I do consume a lot of is black coffee, no sugar.

I will be aiming to do salads this summer, although my favourite thing has to be tomato, basil and red onion together with a spray of extra virgin olive oil. I might try that with a bread roll if I can find one that is low enough.

I don't like my lunches to be more than 380 calories max. Just in case I get snacky so I can grab something around 100 calories without going over my daily allowance.
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing fish(either tuna or salmon) and sweet potato, before I was bringing Quinoa pudding with strawberries.
  • gabeelijah
    gabeelijah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    [
    anybody have any good quinoa recipes?

Yes! Quinoa is awesome to cook with. You can pretty much sub it into any recipe that would normally use rice.

One of my faves is this one.

Thank you

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/recipes/spicy-quinoa-chicken
    [/quote]
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to shop and prep on Sunday like I normally try to, so I had to pick up something easy for the week and it actually worked out good. I bought a bag of the Tyson Grilled and ready chicken breast from the freezer section and bags of lightly sauced steam fresh vegtables. I usually eat 2 pieces of the chicken, slice it up and mix it in a bowl with the bag of veggies. I normally make my own chicken at home but this has worked out for me this week.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bring leftovers from the day before.

^ This. When I cook meals (it's just me) I always tended to make too much for a single serving, no matter how hard I tried. So I started cutting that remaining serving(s) in half and taking it to work for lunch.

It's been one of the most successful decisions I've made in a long while. It saves me time, money and calories. I'm not going to "get" lunch every day and know exactly how many calories I'm having since I already had it for dinner!

I've started making enough at dinner for 2 days, and it's yummy enough not to get sick of it. Ziploc containers are my friend.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What are you guys' go to lunches that you take to work, or even just eating at home. I get sick of taking salad every day, but it's always like the easiest thing to make in the morning. I also feel like I sometimes don't bring enough. What is everything you guys will bring, including snacks?

Snacks - greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit and or veggies, cottage cheese, string cheese, protein bars and nuts

Lunch for me is easy - I work in downtown Chicago and have access to a lot of healthy food choices. I'll usually grab a turkey or ham sandwich, tuna or egg salad sandwich, tomato, basil and mozzarella sandwich...lot's of choices!
  • chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    I have made this many times and is always good. Enjoy

Barley and black bean salad

Ingredients
    1 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)

Preparation
    Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain barley in a colander, and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.

Combine black beans, next 6 ingredients, and, if desired, cilantro and red pepper in a medium bowl. Add barley to black bean mixture; toss gently.

Prep Time: 11 minutesCook Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
    Nutritional Information
    Calories per serving: 349
    Calories from fat: 31%
    Fat per serving: 12g
    Saturated fat per serving: 3.8g
    Monounsaturated fat per serving: 6.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 1.1g
    Protein per serving: 11.9g
    Carbohydrates per serving: 53.5g
    Fiber per serving: 12.2g
    Cholesterol per serving: 13mg
    Iron per serving: 2.9mg
    Sodium per serving: 874mg
    Calcium per serving: 156mg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    anybody have any good quinoa recipes?

My favorite way to eat quinoa is as a salad. Cooked cooled quinoa (red or white, or both, cooked rinsed beans, chopped veggies (whatever I happen to have on hand), vinaigrette dressing. I make my own dressing but bottled would work just fine.

HIgh fiber, decent amount of protein, and lots of micronutrients. And delicious!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I was working I usually brought leftovers or a salad (very simple salad with just a protein, maybe some cheese and nuts and dressing).

Now that I'm home full time I make a yummy sandwich (my fiancé calls me the sandwich queen!) or a more complex salad. Example today was a mixed green salad with spicy lime chicken, cucumber, green onion, cherry tomatoes and avocado with a cilantro lime dressing. So delicious and filling!!
  • mlovo100
    mlovo100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive got a Heinz weight watchers chicken soup today which is 92 cal per can, I eat this at 1pm but have some wholemeal bread Warbutons 400g load, 2 slices about 11am, 116 cal, I toast it with a little marmite. So in all my lunch is spead over quite a few hours and is only 228 cal in total.

Ive lost 8lb since 17th May, and i am hoping to reach my target weight of 9stone very soon. Good luck! :)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    - I always have leftovers and soup in the freezer, so these are easy to bring
    - Salads
    - pitta bread or a wrap with fillings
    - toast and baked beans (usually at the end of the month just before pay-day)
    - going out for lunch on the company credit card. Yes, I have a kind boss.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What are you guys' go to lunches that you take to work, or even just eating at home. I get sick of taking salad every day, but it's always like the easiest thing to make in the morning. I also feel like I sometimes don't bring enough. What is everything you guys will bring, including snacks?

LEFTOVERS are my best friend for office lunches! But if I don't have any then the typical things I'll make specifically for lunch would be :

-salad and just vary the protein/dressing and veg that I add to my leaves
    -sandwiches/bagels/wraps with varied toppings/fillings
    -one of my favourites is a big wedge of homemade tortilla (again varying the contents), I make a large one, stick in the fridge then can just grab slices for lunch/snacks over a couple of days
    - homemade soups
    -homemade cous cous or pasta "salads"

For snacks I'll usually take some fruit / nuts / wasabi peas or mini houmous pots with crackers to dip.