For those who married young or are currently engaged

Options

Replies

• The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Wish I could find that video I saw about the truth behind engagement rings...

It's really just the most successful advertising scam in history. Diamonds aren't rare, they aren't valuable. People are buried in them every day. Jewelry companies needed a way to unload them. Throw together some slick advertising and ta da! Now we think diamond engagement rings are a necessary tradition handed down through the ages.

But there's no fighting it. It's a successful enough advertising campaing that society is now convinced that the size of a diamond equates to how much you love a person. And slaves labor away in mines under horrible conditions to allow this nonsense to go on.

Raise your hand if you're shocked that I'm not married. :frown: :wink:

I like you.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Husband and I have been together since I was 18 he 24. We became engaged at a year, but waited 4 years to say I Do. We have been together 13 years.

Regardless of age marriage is not easy as we each grow, mature, our wants and or needs change, and life gets in the way. It's going to be up to you to figure out how to make it work. It's not always a bed of roses. If marriage was easy Divorce rates wouldn't be so high.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I don't a diamond ring, that sort of gift don't mean anything, I don't want him to get me a fancy car, I want to know I'm his shining star, I don't want him to get me a house in the hills, a girl like me needs something real. I want him to get me somethin' special.

This is something I can stand behind....
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We got engaged when I was 18 and my then boyfriend/fiancé (my now husband) had just turned 20. We were both working for minimum wage at the time, which was $3.05 an hour. My ring was 14k gold solitaire with a cubic zirconia stone, and a plain gold band for the wedding ring. In all, I'd say my set cost about $75, which is a lot of money when working for $3.05 an hour! We were engaged for 2-1/2 years before we got married (at 21 and 22) because we were both still in school. Once we were finally "gainfully" employed, we bought a new set for me with a real diamond, although the diamond was very small, around our first anniversary. I wore that thing for years. I embellished it with a real diamond anniversary band around our 10th anniversary, and finally, about the time of our 20th anniversary or so, we bought a larger, loose diamond and had it set in the same ring I've been wearing since we first got it for our 1st anniversary.

We just celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary 2 weeks ago. You don't need a big, expensive ring to get married. As I just told my daughter and her new husband at their wedding (their rings are also stainless steel and cubic zirconia), it isn't about the ring, the dress, the cake, the wedding or the reception. What's important is the marriage. A ring is just a piece of jewelry. The marriage and the life you build together is what matters.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Please please please don't get engaged at 18. You haven't even lived yet.

But to answer your question, he got my ring from Kay Jewelers and he got what he could afford. I was 20 when I got married (the first time) and I wish I could go back and slap the shlt out of me.

Also, please, please, please don't listen to this person.

I have been happily married for 3 years (engaged at 18, married at 21). I have lived more than some people I know in their 40s! If it feels right to you, it probably is right!!

I'm sure you'll say the say thing to the two kids in your photo when they're 18 and think they want to get married.:noway: :laugh:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My former fiance proposed with a really inexpensive silver claddagh ring. I loved it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Young marriages can and often do work.

There are two problems with getting married young.

1. You can change a LOT from 18 to say 30. Sometimes these changes equal problems in your marriage. Sometimes they do not. You both have to grow and change together. Hell, I've changed a lot since I got married at 24. I'm not nearly as patient as I was when I was younger. I can't just "let things go" like I could this. This has let to more conflict in our relationship but also to improvements.

2. Regrets. Will you regret "settling down" early with you are 30? Some people do, some people don't. For some people the regrets can overwhelm the love and commitment.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I got engaged at 22, married at 23. My ring is platinum with a three diamond setting. Less than 2 carat total. It was way more expensive then I would have wanted my husband to pay if I had known about it, since he was on a graduate student stipend (in the humanities, no less). However, I really really love it, people complement me on it all the time, and when I asked him about the cost he said,

"If you wear it for the rest of your life it's way, way, way less than a dollar a day. Worth it to me"

We're both 27 now, married 4 years, and own our own home, so it's not like we would have used the money for that. No kids (probably helps the finances).
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    engaged three years...i asked him....still waiting for a ring.

This sounds as epic as my story.

My -ex fiance gave me a ring that turned my finger green, and I eventually walked out on him because his meth addicted brother kept breaking into our house, among other things.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Met at 19, married at 23. We picked out a pink sapphire ring for $300 for the engagement ring (I don't like diamonds, personally). Got the wedding band for $80.

We don't have everything figured out. We didn't think we did at 23 either. I've never considered divorcing my husband, but it isn't something that I don't think could ever happen. I live each day, with my marriage on my mind. And hopefully, my husband and I will make it to a great milestone like our 50th anniversary.

As for the ring, I got too fat to wear my engagement ring AND my wedding band, so I only wear my wedding band. I plan on 'upgrading' at some point by cannibalizing my two bands and making something brand new out of it.

And consider insuring it from loss and theft if it costs a pretty penny. My husband lost his wedding band a couple years ago when we got a flat tire in the middle of a snow storm. He took his gloves off to do something, his ring came off with the gloves and went flying. We had to go back with a metal detector and spent 4 hours looking for it, still didn't find it. A couple months later we got a call from the homeowner of the place we broke down at. He found my husband's ring after the snow melted.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Married at 19, he gave me an eensy little solitaire. He was a college student, saved his money for a few months (apparently he ate Ramen that whole time!) I still wear it today, we'll be married 13 years in October, but I'd like to 'upgrade' someday.

I presume you mean to upgrade your ring, and not your husband :laugh:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was 21, my husband 23 when got married. We already had a child and he was just back from deployment so I guess he had a little extra cash a 23 year old wouldn't have.

He went to a jeweler that catered to military and took some of it out on loan (mostly bc of credit reasons). I told him I didn't want anything to "big" but different. We already had a child, so don't spend life savings you kno? So I got a different type of ring, it was gorgeous but not huge.

I traded up about a year later after we had a rocky first year of marriage (out with the bad kinda thing). They took my old ring, took the original price and we paid the difference. We were a little more settled, he picked up rank, so it didn't break bank. I have a pretty large ring now, also added two diamond bands. 5.5 years of marriage. I guess our out with the bad karma helped and I got a nice rock lol :)
  • lscalone95
    lscalone95 Posts: 16
    Options
    To all who are urging me not to marry at 18, I have no intention of marrying at 18. :P I am really in love with this girl though, so I'm thinking ahead. I don't intend on fully marrying until she's out of college. However, I have been with her for a few years now and I feel that it's time I'm thinking ahead and acquainting myself with how everything works so that I'm not blindsided in the future. When I am eventually getting a ring, I don't want to be scammed or pressured by idealized fantasies. I'm listening to you because you are all people who've had experience and have lived (and are living) real lives. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

All of your responses are fascinating, though! Personally, I'm ethically opposed to Blood Diamonds. Have any of you had experience with factory-made diamonds? Hypothetically, would you be opposed to receiving one?
  • calibriintx
    Options
    A little advice... People advise against marrying young because they haven't "lived". Of course, no one but you knows if you are ready to settle down. To make a marriage work, I recommend each of you putting the other before yourselves, and taking the word "divorce" out of your vocabulary.

Seeing as others are giving advice here too lol..... My favorite quote:

Marriage Is not 50-50. Divorce is. Marriage has to be 100-100. It isn't about dividing everything in half, but giving everything you've got (even when it sucks and you dont feel you have to/should/deserve to......)

If marriage has to be 100-100, everyone, everywhere would get divorced. maybe this is the problem? People expect perfection and bail when they don't get it?
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you are way too young at 18 to get married. You haven't lived enough life yet to know what you need and want. You may think that you do, but I guarantee you that your wants and needs will change.

I got married 2 weeks before my 21st birthday. I was married 20 years and just recently got a divorce. I could go on and on and on about what happened, but I'll just say that we both changed. We both grew apart and in the end we wanted different lives. Different enough that we didn't want to try to make things work. We knew we would be happier apart.

Now, on the other hand, my parents married at ages 17 and 19. They are still married, over 45 years later.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was 21, he was 20. He bought a little half-carat solitaire from Zales. I still have it somewhere.

You change and grow a lot as a person in your early 20s, which is why so many people caution against young marriages. Most couples grow apart. Many fewer grow together. 'Knowing' you're a good fit isn't a good indicator of what you'll do - we all knew, that's why we got engaged in the first place.

Best of luck to you, but I'd also recommend waiting a few years or at least a long engagement. If you're planning on spending the rest of your lives together anyway, what's the rush?

eta: That's a recommendation, this is a must - NEVER ask someone to marry you if you don't already know the answer. You should have already talked about and be on the same page w/r/t the Big Issues: Marriage, Religion, Kids, Where to Live, Money, etc.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    To all who are urging me not to marry at 18, I have no intention of marrying at 18. :P I am really in love with this girl though, so I'm thinking ahead. I don't intend on fully marrying until she's out of college. However, I have been with her for a few years now and I feel that it's time I'm thinking ahead and acquainting myself with how everything works so that I'm not blindsided in the future. When I am eventually getting a ring, I don't want to be scammed or pressured by idealized fantasies. I'm listening to you because you are all people who've had experience and have lived (and are living) real lives. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

All of your responses are fascinating, though! Personally, I'm ethically opposed to Blood Diamonds. Have any of you had experience with factory-made diamonds? Hypothetically, would you be opposed to receiving one?
    Gotta say, reading this entire post made me smile. While your age initially made me nervous for you, it sounds like you are going about things in a thoughtful way.

Good luck.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

Glad to hear that you're in no hurry.

Try asking your girlfriend how she feels about man-made diamonds. Maybe she likes different types of stones completely. Maybe she's like some of us and thinks rings are stupid. She is the best person to go to. Besides, it will be good practice for communication, working as a team, and compromise.
  • calibriintx
    Options

This sounds like a question for your girlfriend. Is factory made = to CZ? Yes, I would have been opposed to that. Would have preferred a plain band over CZ. Anyway. You two should talk about it. Find out what she wants, what she likes, if you're even on the same page.