Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I was wondering about how artificial sweetener work. I'm guessing since it breaks down exactly like any food breaks down while being digested that the the reason one does not gain weight by consuming it (assuming they would gain weight from the alternative sweetener by over consuming, thus the industry making diet drinks for the new demand) would be because in this new molecular composition it tastes sweeter thus it is required to use much less of it than the alternative sweetener so not as many calories, thus not the cover consumption, thus not the weight gain? I've read some articles about artificial sweeteners (but don't even remember which ones) that seem to talk more about insulin issues than cancer or toxicity. I find this all very interesting and appreciate the conversation.

The reason diet soda is "diet" even though aspartame breaks down like anything else is because aspartame is about 700 times sweeter than sugar so you need 700 times less of it. It isn't that aspartame has zero calories it is that so little aspartame is used to sweeten a drink that its number of calories is negligible.

As I broke down in my post 180mg of aspartame is by weight about 162mg protein by weight. We know that protein is about 4 calories per gram so that means the aspartame in the soda is about 0.7 calories. That is so low they just call it zero. Actually I think with the aspartame is some carbs to bulk it when they add it so I think I've heard a can of diet soda actually has about 3 or 4 calories but that is low enough that they can call it zero.

I haven't really seen anything to support the idea that aspartame triggers insulin production. The assumption seems to be that because it tastes sweet our bodies would produce insulin but I am not sure that is actually true and not just based on "common sense" associated with how insulin is related to sugar and sugar tastes sweet and aspartame tastes sweet therefore...

I am not saying aspartame does not cause insulin production because I honestly don't know, I haven't seen anything to suggest that is true and I am skeptical since protein doesn't cause insulin production and aspartame is protein.
  • Aaron_K123
    Just to provide a little additional info. This is the full metabolic breakdown pathway for aspartame as it is currently understood.

Aspartame_metabolism.jpg

If I am interpreting this correctly DKP can be a metabolic product from aspartame but under neutral to alkaline pH. Even then it is equilibrium with another metabolite aspartylphenylalanine and methanol. At acidic pH, in the stomach where aspartame will be metabolized upon ingestion, the pathway is towards breakdown to phenylalanine and aspartate. That would mean I suspect that DKP would also degrade to Phenylalanine and Aspartic acid under acidic conditions.

This figure is from the review cited here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.offcampus.lib.washington.edu/pubmed/17828671

Full disclosure I have not read the source literature Bell Labuza (1991) and Prodolliete Bruelhart (1993)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

B. The opposition has enough science based information to offer a counter.

I haven't seen it. If you know of this scientific based information with regards to toxicity of aspartame please post it here so it can be examined and discussed. No one has bothered yet and I have yet to find anything at all that remotely holds water.

Why would I waste my time? Equal is my friends. I'll leave that to the anti-aspartame crew to prove, I'm just noting the claims I've seen.

*shrugs* Just thought it was odd for some mod to sticky this topic, which isn't even all that controversial.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

But you've already played your hand. You see something you don't agree with and instantly assume corporate interests have paid someone off. Because Big Aspartame takes an interest in stickied threads on calorie counting forums.

Loosen your tin foil hat.

Oh yes, I was so anti-Big Aspartame as I sprinkled two packets of Equal on some not-sweet-enough-for-my-taste frozen berries just a few hours ago.

While wearing my tin foil hat, by the way.

You're so insightful and wise.
  • WrenAlive
    WrenAlive Posts: 23 Member
    Really interesting - Marking so I can read more later. Thanks OP. Nice to see real discussions based on facts instead of fear (even if i don't understand most of the science.)
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    This makes me feel a little better. I drink diet coke instead of regular soda when I really really want something sweet and fizzy. But I was always worried about the aspartame...I'll still keep my soda drinking to a minimum, but still good to know!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    in - beter late than never, and I pointed my "aspartame is evil" people this direction too (not sure it'll change anything but I'm also anti-misinformation)
  • GrandeHombre
    GrandeHombre Posts: 7 Member
    Why would there be a difference in what type of rat they used? As long as the sample size was large enough and there was a test and control group, could you not measure the difference. If 45% of the control group developed tumors and 70% of the test group showed tumors, would that not prove a direct correlation with aspartame and tumors assuming all other factors are equal.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    As for Diketopiperazine, a group of peptides, have been widely used in the pharmaceutical field for cardiovascular, anti-fungal, and anti-tumor needs.

However (and as a science minded individual) I'd like to create a little balance here - the DKP molecules are biologically active and do have risks. I was involved in the marketing and sales of two - maximal dosages, side effects are a real thing. Just because a molecule is used in pharma does not make it generally safe nor is the simple biochemistry of a reaction sufficient to understand what really occurs in a human population.

We've had drug withdrawals or sweeteners removed from market on more than one occasion due to this. Human physiological response goes beyond the petri dish. For example, Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 is simple talcum powder. Remove a little water and you have Mg3Si2O5(OH)4 - commonly known as Serpentine or Lizardite. Also known as the deadly Asbestos. Cancer in a fiber. Here the form factor of the mineral is the primary issue not the biochemistry.

So while I agree that the possible quantities of DKP metabolized from drinking soda are insignificant (LD50 is somewhere in the 3000 mg/kg range...) - the argument that they are safe because they are used in pharma holds no water.

Btw, the use of LD50 as a measure of toxicity is insufficient - all pharma active drugs with or without significant side effects have dosages well below LD50 - it doesn't make them generally safe - it allows one to decide benefits/risk. And it certainly does cover selective cytotoxicity, carcinogenicity, teratogenicity, etc..

Remember Thalidomide? It is virtually impossible to reach LD50 levels and it was considered safe. Thankfully testing has evolved from the 60s - well beyond LD50 assays.

The reason Aspartame is considered safe is that it has been significantly tested in a variety of labs and with a variety of methods to cover those points. It is the single most tested additive ever submitted to agencies.

On the other hand, an individual may consider that the benefit to risk of an artificial sweetener (sweet at lower calories) vs (GRAS with PKU limitations) just isn't worth it. It might even be a reasonable well thought-out decision given the past failures of evaluation processes and the ever evolving bio-assay business.

Finally, even with a GRAS status pregnant women are recommended to not be taking Aspartame since it isn't possible to identify if the unborn child has PKU.

I consider Aspartame safe, I just think the discussion might go a little further. :drinker:

I believe that aspartame at moderate intake is considered safe during pregnancy unless the mother has PKU herself. These are current recommendations in my country, and the USA I think. It's not really about the child having PKU in utero.

Let's say that mum is a carrier and the child has PKU. As a carrier, she can still metabolise Phe, so that her blood levels are normal and the teratogenic effects don't occur in the baby. The baby's diet is then restricted at birth.

The issue is when the mum has PKU and doesn't restrict her diet through pregnancy. Blood levels of Phe are too high, it crosses the placenta and the teratogenic effects can occur. This would happen whether the child has PKU or not.

That's my understanding anyway.

Makes sense and it seems I remembered the FDA reco's incorrectly. I stand corrected.
    However - given that PKU carrier status is likely silent and I would be cautious here.

That's the thing though, carrier status isn't important. Carriers can process Phe and therefore there is no excess Phe to affect the child in-utero even if the child does have PKU. PKU children are generally born with no issue at birth from their carrier mothers. It's only after birth when the child is ingesting proteins that Phe becomes an issue and needs to be controlled.

On the other hand, PKU mums (homozygotes) must control Phe during pregnancy because excess levels cross the placenta and act as a teratogen. This occurs whether the baby has PKU (homozygote) or not (heterozygote).

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to clarify. It's an interesting area (nutritional control of genetic metabolic conditions) and an area of interest of mine as I have both genetics and dietetics backgrounds. :)

True, however variant PKU and what is now called non-PKU hyperphenylalaninaemia (I'm old, this was mild PKU in my genetics classes in the '80s) or mild HA. can be untreated and undiagnosed. These carrier/functional status may be present and while it doesn't lead to the severity of issues seen with maternal PKU, they do appear to lead to less than optimal development (I had to do some reading on that, ref on bottom). So screening and dietary constraint *might* be a good idea - well, in absence of prevalence data - caution is a good idea.

Then again, it also seems that there might not be significant impact or teratogenicity with mild HA. (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/Supplement_4/1548.full.pdf) Soooo, I might be reaching with the above - I'll accept that. My own personal hypersensitivity to silent genetic disorders (Tay Sachs recessive carrier) and a still-birth experience couple with a science/research/Pharma background - makes me cautious to consider PKU as an all or nothing autosomal recessive, and always clinically characterized.

(Levy HL, Waisbren SE, Lobbregt D, et al. Maternal mild hyperphenylalaninaemia: an international survey of offspring outcome. Lancet. 1994;344:1589–1594)

Ps - be as "argumentative" as you like, I enjoy the learning/discussion opportunity.
    Oh, interesting! Yes, I see your point re: the issue of milder 'silent' versions like HA because of different variants.

So, reading the Lancet article it seems that generally there's no issue with HA, but with higher Phe concentrations, there could be some mild cognitive deficits in the children. I wonder if mums with higher Phe levels would have signs and symptoms like a milder version of PKU?

The other thing, I believe it's very rare, about 20-75 births per million..?

Fascinating though and I enjoy chatting and learning as well. :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Why would there be a difference in what type of rat they used? As long as the sample size was large enough and there was a test and control group, could you not measure the difference. If 45% of the control group developed tumors and 70% of the test group showed tumors, would that not prove a direct correlation with aspartame and tumors assuming all other factors are equal.

You are absolutely right. Here is the thing though, Soffreti et al 2006 DIDNT show a difference between the control group and the test group for tumors, all groups including the control developed tumors at around the rate one would expect because they were Sprague Dawley rats regardless of aspartame dosage. Then people read the paper and said "ZOMG tumors" and hence the internet blogs citing it for aspartame being a carcinogen.

Clipboard01.jpg

Sprague Dawley rats just get tumors. I still think it very odd that if you are going to look to see if a compound causes tumors that you would chose to test it in a specific breed of animal known for developing spontaneous tumors.

I mean honest question but if you were going to invest the time to test whether or not a molecule was carcinogenic would you opt to test it in a breed of rat that spontaneously form tumors at a rate of about 45% or would you opt to test it in a breed of rat that does not form spontaneous tumors?

By the way that upper dosage is 5 grams per kilogram. To get 5g per kilogram of aspartame as a 70kg guy I'd have to ingest 350 grams which would be about 1,950 sodas in one dosage. These rats where given that dose EVERY DAY for their ENTIRE LIVES.

If you think that the 43% tumors in the max dosage group is significant vs the 35% control then you have to also contend that the 4mg per kg group has a significantly lower tumor yield at only 29%. 4mg per kg would be about 2 soda's worth in a dose. So if someone wanted to say that the max dosage gave a significant increase in tumors they would have to also accept that a normal dose (in terms of what we actually take in) actually prevents tumors.

Of course neither is the case, the results are within error and are non-significant. The rats have tumors because those rats get tumors.

I seriously don't understand how someone could read this study and think it evidence that aspsartame is a carcinogen. In my opinion people don't read the study, they just read blogs and posts that say "ZOMG Tumors" that cite the study. I have my doubts the authors of those blogs and posts read the study either.
  • Aaron_K123
    Oh one more thing on the study using Sprague Dawley rats. Lets say they did the study and they found that there was a truly obvious significant difference between the control group and the test group (which there wasn't). What would that show. Well that would show that in rats that are prone to spontaneous tumor formation that aspartame may cause slightly more tumor formation. Does that mean that aspartame is a carcinogen? Not really.

Seriously. If you want to see if something is carcinogenic don't test it in animals that develop spontaneous tumors 45% of the time anyways.

Citation for the average spontaneous tumor formation in Sprague-Dawley rats being 45%: http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/33/11/2768.full.pdf

45% by the way being right around the highest they saw in their experiment.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Thank you! I am so sick of my mom telling me, "The aspartame in those diet drinks is really dangerous."
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I don't drink aspartame because it tastes terrible, but drink whatever you want. I don't think it's likely to kill you but I also don't think it's particularly healthy. Give me unsweet iced tea over diet coke any day.
    I'm not anti-aspartame, but I do find it odd, and perhaps a little inappropriate, that his is stickied on a fitness/calorie counting site. Is MFP somehow funded by an aspartame company?
    I thought that was odd as well, but some people really love their diet drinks I guess.

I also thought it was odd that the article going around the other day comparing people who drank diet drinks (which included tea and flavored water) kept getting sold as 'diet SODA is healthy' when it did not isolate soda.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Seriously. If you want to see if something is carcinogenic don't test it in animals that develop spontaneous tumors 45% of the time anyways.

The logic for the SD rats is that this is an animal model in which it is easy to potentiate a response. If an agent changes the response rate from 1 in a hundred and doubles the rate one isn't going to see it very often and statistical significance will remain low.

In an animal model where the base rate is high, a small induced incidence rate change will appear easily. It's one of many reasonable early level two screening model for that - even if the results had been strong, other test are needed.
    THere are a variety of products that test as carcinogens in mice and rats and that are not in humans (for a variety of reasons from different biology to volumetric clearance to "unkown". These models are pretty good for genotoxic (damage to DNA or RNA) carcinogens but would be next to useless for other types of factors (immunosuppression, form factor, contact...)....

One tests with tests that have been validated by prior work, the model chosen is from a bank of succesful tools - however none is really a perfect method. Plus we are slowly trying to move away from animal models ...
  • Aaron_K123

The logic for the SD rats is that this is an animal model in which it is easy to potentiate a response. If an agent changes the response rate from 1 in a hundred and doubles the rate one isn't going to see it very often and statistical significance will remain low.

In an animal model where the base rate is high, a small induced incidence rate change will appear easily. It's one of many reasonable early level two screening model for that - even if the results had been strong, other test are needed.
    THere are a variety of products that test as carcinogens in mice and rats and that are not in humans (for a variety of reasons from different biology to volumetric clearance to "unkown". These models are pretty good for genotoxic (damage to DNA or RNA) carcinogens but would be next to useless for other types of factors (immunosuppression, form factor, contact...)....

One tests with tests that have been validated by prior work, the model chosen is from a bank of succesful tools - however none is really a perfect method. Plus we are slowly trying to move away from animal models ...

Honestly I think using a model system that is on the brink of falling over into tumor-ville is misrepresenting the carcinogenic effects of something especially if you get there by dosing at an impossibly high dose for an entire lifetime. On top of that even under those conditions I am not convinced that the results they show are really significant given the percentages in the different groups. They went from 35% in the control to 43% at the highest dosage and yet between those two dosages the tumor incidence was NOT dose dependent and ranged by a good 10%. If one was to consider 43% significant over 35% one, it seems to me, would be also stating that the 29% in the first dosage group was also significant and therefore normal aspartame intake was actually tumor repressive (which I don't think it is just to be clear).

It is not convincing to me but I encourage anyone who is interested to make their own appraisal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I don't drink aspartame because it tastes terrible, but drink whatever you want. I don't think it's likely to kill you but I also don't think it's particularly healthy. Give me unsweet iced tea over diet coke any day.
    I'm not anti-aspartame, but I do find it odd, and perhaps a little inappropriate, that his is stickied on a fitness/calorie counting site. Is MFP somehow funded by an aspartame company?
    I thought that was odd as well, but some people really love their diet drinks I guess.

I also thought it was odd that the article going around the other day comparing people who drank diet drinks (which included tea and flavored water) kept getting sold as 'diet SODA is healthy' when it did not isolate soda.

I would find it inappropriate if there weren't daily posts about people giving up drinks because of evil Aspartame. To me, this thread somewhat nips that in the bud (although I know we will still see them, and noobs probably won't read this).
  • Aaron_K123

I would find it inappropriate if there weren't daily posts about people giving up drinks because of evil Aspartame. To me, this thread somewhat nips that in the bud (although I know we will still see them, and noobs probably won't read this).

Yeah I think that is the idea, just having it be reference for the times where it comes up in other threads.

I just wanted to state for emphasis that the purpose of this post was just to show why I believe current scientific evidence indicates aspartame is safe for consumption. I did NOT intend this post to be advocating soda consumption as being healthy and I don't think I ever say that anywhere in here.

There is a difference between saying something won't harm you and saying that it is "healthy".
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Yeah I think that is the idea, just having it be reference for the times where it comes up in other threads.

I just wanted to state for emphasis that the purpose of this post was just to show why I believe current scientific evidence indicates aspartame is safe for consumption. I did NOT intend this post to be advocating soda consumption as being healthy and I don't think I ever say that anywhere in here.

There is a difference between saying something won't harm you and saying that it is "healthy".

One more time, OP. :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Whatever, you're clearly an aspartame shill. :wink: