Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    TIL that I am NOT the only person who loves Diet Dr. Pepper, despite what my friends and family say! :D
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Side question so what does science say about Splenda? Is the a derivative of chlorine and sugar? I love Coke Zero and Splenda but have heard mixed reports.

Honestly don't kniw a thing about Splenda but knowing what kind if rigor it takes to get FDA approval I personally would trust in its safety until I saw convincing evidence that it was somehow unsafe.

Not knowing anything about it not sure what you mean about chlorine and sugar.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you! :flowerforyou:

I drink what I want!!
    259fd4d075a75c86e97fd9130fdf9c74.jpg
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This post got sticky'd! So awesome. :)
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Very informative post. :)
    I like to keep my eating as "paleo" as possible, so I will still be avoiding the consumption of foods that may contain aspartame. However, I enjoy being informed and reading this gives me some reassurance about the subject, so thank you. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    As for Diketopiperazine, a group of peptides, have been widely used in the pharmaceutical field for cardiovascular, anti-fungal, and anti-tumor needs.

However (and as a science minded individual) I'd like to create a little balance here - the DKP molecules are biologically active and do have risks. I was involved in the marketing and sales of two - maximal dosages, side effects are a real thing. Just because a molecule is used in pharma does not make it generally safe nor is the simple biochemistry of a reaction sufficient to understand what really occurs in a human population.

We've had drug withdrawals or sweeteners removed from market on more than one occasion due to this. Human physiological response goes beyond the petri dish. For example, Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 is simple talcum powder. Remove a little water and you have Mg3Si2O5(OH)4 - commonly known as Serpentine or Lizardite. Also known as the deadly Asbestos. Cancer in a fiber. Here the form factor of the mineral is the primary issue not the biochemistry.

So while I agree that the possible quantities of DKP metabolized from drinking soda are insignificant (LD50 is somewhere in the 3000 mg/kg range...) - the argument that they are safe because they are used in pharma holds no water.

Btw, the use of LD50 as a measure of toxicity is insufficient - all pharma active drugs with or without significant side effects have dosages well below LD50 - it doesn't make them generally safe - it allows one to decide benefits/risk. And it certainly does cover selective cytotoxicity, carcinogenicity, teratogenicity, etc..

Remember Thalidomide? It is virtually impossible to reach LD50 levels and it was considered safe. Thankfully testing has evolved from the 60s - well beyond LD50 assays.

The reason Aspartame is considered safe is that it has been significantly tested in a variety of labs and with a variety of methods to cover those points. It is the single most tested additive ever submitted to agencies.

On the other hand, an individual may consider that the benefit to risk of an artificial sweetener (sweet at lower calories) vs (GRAS with PKU limitations) just isn't worth it. It might even be a reasonable well thought-out decision given the past failures of evaluation processes and the ever evolving bio-assay business.

Finally, even with a GRAS status pregnant women are recommended to not be taking Aspartame since it isn't possible to identify if the unborn child has PKU.

I consider Aspartame safe, I just think the discussion might go a little further. :drinker:

I believe that aspartame at moderate intake is considered safe during pregnancy unless the mother has PKU herself. These are current recommendations in my country, and the USA I think. It's not really about the child having PKU in utero.

Let's say that mum is a carrier and the child has PKU. As a carrier, she can still metabolise Phe, so that her blood levels are normal and the teratogenic effects don't occur in the baby. The baby's diet is then restricted at birth.

The issue is when the mum has PKU and doesn't restrict her diet through pregnancy. Blood levels of Phe are too high, it crosses the placenta and the teratogenic effects can occur. This would happen whether the child has PKU or not.

That's my understanding anyway.

Makes sense and it seems I remembered the FDA reco's incorrectly. I stand corrected.
    However - given that PKU carrier status is likely silent and I would be cautious here.

That's the thing though, carrier status isn't important. Carriers can process Phe and therefore there is no excess Phe to affect the child in-utero even if the child does have PKU. PKU children are generally born with no issue at birth from their carrier mothers. It's only after birth when the child is ingesting proteins that Phe becomes an issue and needs to be controlled.

On the other hand, PKU mums (homozygotes) must control Phe during pregnancy because excess levels cross the placenta and act as a teratogen. This occurs whether the baby has PKU (homozygote) or not (heterozygote).

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to clarify. It's an interesting area (nutritional control of genetic metabolic conditions) and an area of interest of mine as I have both genetics and dietetics backgrounds. :)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Very informative. I had been wondering about aspartame myself. A guy I know said he cut out aspartame and sucralose and what he calls "fake sugars" and claimed to lose 40 pounds in a month. (He was about 290.) I didn't tell him this, but I think he lost that weight because he cut way down on calories, but he attributed the loss to the cutting out of fake sugars instead.

And if he weighed the same as a duck, he'd be made of wood. Thus, we could burn him as a witch...if we were in the business of burning witches, that is.

Hahaha! A fellow Python fan? Nice.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    As for Diketopiperazine, a group of peptides, have been widely used in the pharmaceutical field for cardiovascular, anti-fungal, and anti-tumor needs.

However (and as a science minded individual) I'd like to create a little balance here - the DKP molecules are biologically active and do have risks. I was involved in the marketing and sales of two - maximal dosages, side effects are a real thing. Just because a molecule is used in pharma does not make it generally safe nor is the simple biochemistry of a reaction sufficient to understand what really occurs in a human population.

We've had drug withdrawals or sweeteners removed from market on more than one occasion due to this. Human physiological response goes beyond the petri dish. For example, Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 is simple talcum powder. Remove a little water and you have Mg3Si2O5(OH)4 - commonly known as Serpentine or Lizardite. Also known as the deadly Asbestos. Cancer in a fiber. Here the form factor of the mineral is the primary issue not the biochemistry.

So while I agree that the possible quantities of DKP metabolized from drinking soda are insignificant (LD50 is somewhere in the 3000 mg/kg range...) - the argument that they are safe because they are used in pharma holds no water.

Btw, the use of LD50 as a measure of toxicity is insufficient - all pharma active drugs with or without significant side effects have dosages well below LD50 - it doesn't make them generally safe - it allows one to decide benefits/risk. And it certainly does cover selective cytotoxicity, carcinogenicity, teratogenicity, etc..

Remember Thalidomide? It is virtually impossible to reach LD50 levels and it was considered safe. Thankfully testing has evolved from the 60s - well beyond LD50 assays.

The reason Aspartame is considered safe is that it has been significantly tested in a variety of labs and with a variety of methods to cover those points. It is the single most tested additive ever submitted to agencies.

On the other hand, an individual may consider that the benefit to risk of an artificial sweetener (sweet at lower calories) vs (GRAS with PKU limitations) just isn't worth it. It might even be a reasonable well thought-out decision given the past failures of evaluation processes and the ever evolving bio-assay business.

Finally, even with a GRAS status pregnant women are recommended to not be taking Aspartame since it isn't possible to identify if the unborn child has PKU.

I consider Aspartame safe, I just think the discussion might go a little further. :drinker:

I believe that aspartame at moderate intake is considered safe during pregnancy unless the mother has PKU herself. These are current recommendations in my country, and the USA I think. It's not really about the child having PKU in utero.

Let's say that mum is a carrier and the child has PKU. As a carrier, she can still metabolise Phe, so that her blood levels are normal and the teratogenic effects don't occur in the baby. The baby's diet is then restricted at birth.

The issue is when the mum has PKU and doesn't restrict her diet through pregnancy. Blood levels of Phe are too high, it crosses the placenta and the teratogenic effects can occur. This would happen whether the child has PKU or not.

That's my understanding anyway.

Makes sense and it seems I remembered the FDA reco's incorrectly. I stand corrected.
    However - given that PKU carrier status is likely silent and I would be cautious here.

That's the thing though, carrier status isn't important. Carriers can process Phe and therefore there is no excess Phe to affect the child in-utero even if the child does have PKU. PKU children are generally born with no issue at birth from their carrier mothers. It's only after birth when the child is ingesting proteins that Phe becomes an issue and needs to be controlled.

On the other hand, PKU mums (homozygotes) must control Phe during pregnancy because excess levels cross the placenta and act as a teratogen. This occurs whether the baby has PKU (homozygote) or not (heterozygote).

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to clarify. It's an interesting area (nutritional control of genetic metabolic conditions) and an area of interest of mine as I have both genetics and dietetics backgrounds. :)

True, however variant PKU and what is now called non-PKU hyperphenylalaninaemia (I'm old, this was mild PKU in my genetics classes in the '80s) or mild HA. can be untreated and undiagnosed. These carrier/functional status may be present and while it doesn't lead to the severity of issues seen with maternal PKU, they do appear to lead to less than optimal development (I had to do some reading on that, ref on bottom). So screening and dietary constraint *might* be a good idea - well, in absence of prevalence data - caution is a good idea.

Then again, it also seems that there might not be significant impact or teratogenicity with mild HA. (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/Supplement_4/1548.full.pdf) Soooo, I might be reaching with the above - I'll accept that. My own personal hypersensitivity to silent genetic disorders (Tay Sachs recessive carrier) and a still-birth experience couple with a science/research/Pharma background - makes me cautious to consider PKU as an all or nothing autosomal recessive, and always clinically characterized.

(Levy HL, Waisbren SE, Lobbregt D, et al. Maternal mild hyperphenylalaninaemia: an international survey of offspring outcome. Lancet. 1994;344:1589–1594)

Ps - be as "argumentative" as you like, I enjoy the learning/discussion opportunity.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-aspartame, but I do find it odd, and perhaps a little inappropriate, that his is stickied on a fitness/calorie counting site. Is MFP somehow funded by an aspartame company?
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do NOT think that expertise or background is proof that someone is correct so I invite anyone and everyone who is interested to look into this yourself. I just mention it because I know I will likely be asked.

Agreed - which is why I was curious as to your analysis of the anti-aspartame studies.

I'd be equally interested in someone who is anti-aspartame to explain exactly why they feel that way...but fair warning "because I read it on the internet" or "because it's hard to pronounce" will not be acceptable answers over science.
    "Because it's too hard to pronounce" will not be acceptable...

THANK YOU SO MUCH
    Every time someone says "If you can't pronounce the ingredients, then it is bad for you" my eyes roll so far back inside my head. If that we the case, most 'unhealthy' food would be perfectly fine for me, since my Bachelor of Science has taught me how to pronounce complicated compounds. If you broke up an apple to it's 'ingredients' aka chemical composition, you'd see a lot of the same things you see on the back of packaging. Like, I can tell very easily most of these people have never studied food science when they say things like that. I'm all for eating organic, natural, earthy foods, but don't do it by being fear mongering.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-aspartame, but I do find it odd, and perhaps a little inappropriate, that his is stickied on a fitness/calorie counting site. Is MFP somehow funded by an aspartame company?

Why would it be inappropriate?

The topic is brought up ad nauseam on the forums - isn't it a good idea to sticky a post that clearly breaks down the actual science about aspartame instead of people posting fear mongering blog post after blog post?

MFP is a calorie counting site, I don't see how sticky-ing a logical blog post about a calorie free sweetener can be considered odd?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    gotta reply just to track this thread... AWESOME post OP!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So yea....this is a great thread. I predict a roll.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. I'm not familiar with you, OP, but I'll be paying attention to you now. You've responded to some very irrational points in a very calm, logical way. I also found your posts to be very clear.

Just a few thoughts:

Not sure why someone sarcastically asked "What else is healthy? MSG?" MSG is naturally occurring in tomatoes, some cheeses, etc. and has been found to be much less "horrible" than people have always thought. A small percentage of people still get signs of an intolerance, but like with all foods, that doesn't make it evil or horrible or suddenly "artificial" when it's studied and produced.

As for the constant headache + vision disturbances. Vision disturbances are associated with the aura of aura migraines. Unfortunately... migraines are still something of a mystery. People can establish triggers, which for some may be aspartame. For others, it could be nitrates. For others, it could be eating something tough (like nuts) that does it. It's amazing the range of things that can cause migraines for individuals. That doesn't make one of them inherently bad or evil; like with MSG, or allergies, you might just be unlucky with what triggers it for you. Unfortunately, my period resulted in migraines that would paralyze my face... does that mean periods are inherently evil and dangerous (WAIT, BAD EXAMPLE).

In all seriousness, though; remember, people, that our anecdotal experiences or our outlier status doesn't change the science. If you get a headache from Diet Dr. Pepper, it's probably because you have an unfortunate reaction (and/or because Dr. Pepper sucks).
  • amy200r
    amy200r Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about how artificial sweetener work. I'm guessing since it breaks down exactly like any food breaks down while being digested that the the reason one does not gain weight by consuming it (assuming they would gain weight from the alternative sweetener by over consuming, thus the industry making diet drinks for the new demand) would be because in this new molecular composition it tastes sweeter thus it is required to use much less of it than the alternative sweetener so not as many calories, thus not the cover consumption, thus not the weight gain? I've read some articles about artificial sweeteners (but don't even remember which ones) that seem to talk more about insulin issues than cancer or toxicity. I find this all very interesting and appreciate the conversation.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Why would it be inappropriate?

The topic is brought up ad nauseam on the forums - isn't it a good idea to sticky a post that clearly breaks down the actual science about aspartame instead of people posting fear mongering blog post after blog post?

MFP is a calorie counting site, I don't see how sticky-ing a logical blog post about a calorie free sweetener can be considered odd?

A. There're lots of science strong posts that don't get stickied on topics far more important than this.

B. The opposition has enough science based information to offer a counter.

It seems rather odd that of all the posts that could be stickied on this very popular board, some aspartame debate is it.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Aspartame...because one particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider.

29c7v6g.jpg
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I haven't seen it. If you know of this scientific based information with regards to toxicity of aspartame please post it here so it can be examined and discussed. No one has bothered yet and I have yet to find anything at all that remotely holds water.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I cannot comment towards the reasons this post was sticked because I didn't sticky it nor did I anticipate that it would be sticked. I really doubt MFP is somehow funded by aspartame though. I think it is funded by those ads above and to the right of these threads.

So far I haven't heard from those ads about aspartame, just tips for a tiny belly using this 1 wierd old tip and about how to lose 15 pounds in 21 days.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

A. There're lots of science strong posts that don't get stickied on topics far more important than this.

It seems rather odd that of all the posts that could be stickied on this very popular board, some aspartame debate is it.

Well the lack of stickied posts on "more important" topics has no bearing on this post, it simply shows that more posts may need to be stickied.

Plus people post multiple threads about diet soda on the forums everyday full of misinformation and fear mongering. I think stickiy-ing this thread can help clear up the forums and hopefully diffuse the misinformation.

The opposition can feel free to post right in this thread with their science based information, but page after page they have refused to...