Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• ScaryMaryOne
    ScaryMaryOne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @lilenatalem, diet soda is most definitely NOT the worst thing you can eat or drink. While I generally agree with you that unprocessed foods are the best, there is NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER that diet soda is a great product for diabetics and pre-diabetics. Of course, in moderation. While many people think there is proof that artificial sweeteners somehow trick our brains, there is no actual evidence for this idea. Someone postulated this as an idea, but it has NOT been proven by large, double-blind studies. Until it is, it is nothing more than speculation.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I got your point. I drank 6+ Diet Cokes per day for about 20 years. I then developed IC. When I eliminated aspartame, it went away. I didn't change anything else about my diet. For me, I feel like I developed a sensitivity to aspartame over time that negatively impacted my life, impacting my ability to exercise, work, etc. Enjoy it until your body says "NO!" I really don't know why such a food sensitivity would develop, but I'm not a chemist either. If the OP could shed any light on this, I'd be happy to listen :flowerforyou:

Im admittedly unfamiliar with the condition let alone its connection to aspartame. Is there any medical or scientific literature on this topic you could point me to? If I had a study to read I could comment but can't really comment towards your personal experience.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    um...no
  • thingest
    thingest Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This post is the perfect case of how the history of mankind repeats itself.

Indeed, throughout the history of mankind we have seen two things over and over: trying to explain the world with science of the time and improving the technology so that science falls behind.

Unfortunately, this case looks the same with the same mistakes. Trying to explain the world of the human body as a pure biochemical machine with the current knowledge of novel science of biochemistry and this is the flaw in the logic of this post! It's not your advanced skills, studies and understanding of biochemistry, it's that this is limited to the current advances in biochemistry itself!

So the real question would be:

"Can current Science assess the safety of artificial sweeteners?"

Or is this another "It'll never fly" case of science?

Anyway, the topic is interesting enough. So, I'm writing an article about it.

So, are simply supposed to sit around and wait until science can answer every single question before we do anything?

Thing is, science isn't simply the best tool we have for understanding the world around us (including our own bodies), it is the ONLY tool we have for doing so. And while we probably never will know everything there is to know, and sometimes get led a little astray, science does at least tend to head us in that direction. Read this: http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm

This. If you actually waited until we could scientifically "prove" that something is safe for consumption before you ingested it then you would die of starvation.

Science doesn't "prove" anything, proof is the domain of mathematics alone. Science is used to disprove things and by eliminating possibilities arrive at the most plausible explanation based on models.

There currently is no scientific evidence that aspartame is dangerous, there is no model that would explain what it would be dangerous and therefore I choose to believe that it is not.

The idea that science ever proves things is a misunderstanding of what science is.

@richardheath
    So, are simply supposed to sit around and wait until science can answer every single question before we do anything?

That's exactly my point. We never have waited for science before!
    The moment we observed stones falling we didn’t wait for science to explain the phenomenon.
    We simply sought more efficient ways to throw them farther away so we built catapults instead! And that more than two thousand years before the famous Newton's apple incident. We trusted our survival instincts, the mere observation of the phenomenon and Technology instead to make decisions.

But now is sad how we surrendered our will to the power of big corporations, their funded "scientific" studies and the media.

Just about a month ago, saccharin was quietly reinstated in Canada after 37years ban. Within months we will see the market flooded with saccharin products. And the sad thing is that people will start consuming them without even thinking whether they actually need them in first place!

Now, only two newspapers, including The Global and Mail, published something about it. So, I wrote about this: http://www.thingest.org/saccharin-reinstated-in-canada/

Then, we wonder why there is an epidemic of diabetes, obesity and cancer.

@Aaron_K123
    There currently is no scientific evidence that aspartame is dangerous, there is no model that would explain what it would be dangerous and therefore I choose to believe that it is not.

I read this and couldn't stop thinking about the parallel with Simon Newcomb's statement, astronomer and mathematician, around 1906:

"...no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery, and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long distances through the air... "

History repeats itself!
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @lilenatalem, diet soda is most definitely NOT the worst thing you can eat or drink. While I generally agree with you that unprocessed foods are the best, there is NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER that diet soda is a great product for diabetics and pre-diabetics. Of course, in moderation. While many people think there is proof that artificial sweeteners somehow trick our brains, there is no actual evidence for this idea. Someone postulated this as an idea, but it has NOT been proven by large, double-blind studies. Until it is, it is nothing more than speculation.

I 100% agree that there is a need for diet soda. I also agree 100% with every in moderation. I had a diet coke the other day while at a restaurant. Why? because I really wanted a soda, but I didn't wanna go over my calories for the day. But that is the first soda of any kind I've had in 2 months I think.

I DO NOT agree with people putting that crap in their body on a daily basis. Nothing will convince me other wise that it's "okay". People should be drinking water. Period.
    I just really believe in eating real food. (and I say that knowing anyone can look at my food and see I've been bad about putting steiva in my coffee lol)

I just think it's a bad idea to tell a community dedicated to losing weight/ getting healthy that is okay to keep putting that crap into your body. I guess I'm the odd one out for thinking this.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my point. We never have waited for science before! The moment we observed stones falling we didn’t wait for science to explain the phenomenon. We simply sought more efficient ways to throw them farther away so we built catapults instead! And that more than two thousand years before the famous Newton's apple incident. We trusted our survival instincts, the mere observation of the phenomenon and Technology instead to make decisions.
    I take it you don't see the irony of using a computer that couldn't be built using craftsmanship alone to post this on a website which seeks to help people make food choices based on a scientific understanding of nutrition rather than intuition and personal observation.

ETA : and, for the record, we're still very far from "explaining" gravity.
  • thingest
    thingest Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my point. We never have waited for science before! The moment we observed stones falling we didn’t wait for science to explain the phenomenon. We simply sought more efficient ways to throw them farther away so we built catapults instead! And that more than two thousand years before the famous Newton's apple incident. We trusted our survival instincts, the mere observation of the phenomenon and Technology instead to make decisions.
    I take it you don't see the irony of using a computer that couldn't be built using craftsmanship alone to post this on a website which seeks to help people make food choices based on a scientific understanding of nutrition rather than intuition and personal observation.

Of course not! I love my computer, a pretty advanced piece of technology, and love science which helps me understand the world and the universe. I just don't fall (or rather, try not to) in these traps sustained in the name of science. In the particular case of artificial sweeteners and aspartame, I am wary of names such as Monsanto or Ajinomoto behind them.

BTW, despite that only craftsmanship was available at that time, this didn't stop Charles Babbage from making his Analytical Engine (thus establishing the foundations of programmable computers) one hundred years before Konrad Zuse created the first electro-mechanical programmable computer!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    STOP DRINKING SODA, it's the worst thing for you ever.

Based on what?

The fact that it is not REAL FOOD, of course!!

Derr.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I 100% agree that there is a need for diet soda. I also agree 100% with every in moderation. I had a diet coke the other day while at a restaurant. Why? because I really wanted a soda, but I didn't wanna go over my calories for the day. But that is the first soda of any kind I've had in 2 months I think.

I DO NOT agree with people putting that crap in their body on a daily basis. Nothing will convince me other wise that it's "okay". People should be drinking water. Period.
    I just really believe in eating real food. (and I say that knowing anyone can look at my food and see I've been bad about putting steiva in my coffee lol)

I just think it's a bad idea to tell a community dedicated to losing weight/ getting healthy that is okay to keep putting that crap into your body. I guess I'm the odd one out for thinking this.

Just being a little melodramatic about it is all. Not sure what you mean by "real" food but your implication seems to be that aspartame isn't "real" somehow. Do I think soda is nutritious? No I don't, but it isn't crap either. Diet soda is pretty much flavored carbonated tap water with a little acid thrown in for tang. Its not nutritious but it is hydrating and there is nothing wrong with it.

This notion that it isn't "real" and therefore it is crap is both vague and overly dramatic in my opinion.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Of course not! I love my computer, a pretty advanced piece of technology, and love science which helps me understand the world and the universe. I just don't fall (or rather, try not to) in these traps sustained in the name of science. In the particular case of artificial sweeteners and aspartame, I am wary of names such as Monsanto or Ajinomoto behind them.

BTW, despite that only craftsmanship was available at that time, this didn't stop Charles Babbage from making his Analytical Engine (thus establishing the foundations of programmable computers) one hundred years before Konrad Zuse created the first electro-mechanical programmable computer!

Okay. So what was the "trap" in my original post. What did I get wrong? What did I omit? What specific non-vague reason do we have to fear specifically the molecule aspartame?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Based on what?

Derr.

Define what you mean by "real food" for me please.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

Based on what?

Derr.

Was a sarcastic answer in response to PP's|."Just don't drink it !! It's bad!! It's Not REAL FOOD!!"

I don't personally believe artificially sweetened food/ drink items are not real at all.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Based on what?

Derr.

Was a sarcastic answer in response to PP's|."Just don't drink it !! It's bad!! It's Not REAL FOOD!!"

I don't personally believe artificially sweetened food/ drink items are not real at all.

Ah gotcha. Sarcasm is hard to read sometimes in text. Forgive the misunderstanding then.

Still would like an answer to what is meant by "real" food by someone who means it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Based on what?

Derr.

It is as real as any of the other food consume. Derr! Derr! :bigsmile:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with saccharine?
    IMHO, it tastes like crap. :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Side question so what does science say about Splenda? Is the a derivative of chlorine and sugar? I love Coke Zero and Splenda but have heard mixed reports.

Honestly don't kniw a thing about Splenda but knowing what kind if rigor it takes to get FDA approval I personally would trust in its safety until I saw convincing evidence that it was somehow unsafe.

Not knowing anything about it not sure what you mean about chlorine and sugar.
    I believe a molecule is removed from sucrose to make sucralose, and the process to do it uses chlorine. That said, I like splenda.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    YES! I was just about to make a similar post, and then I saw this. There is so much false and biased information out there, I'm happy someone has finally set it straight :)
  • melaniefaith
    melaniefaith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that aspartame is not to be scared of, same as many other foods they've said "Ooooh beware of that it's like poison to your body!",natural things like milk, butter, etc. Anyway, I've a question for you, I've been reading that aspartame sometimes acts like sugar when ingested with things like diet pop, causing your body to store fat. You're a very intelligent person, could you please put my mind at rest, so I can go back to diet pop or Aloe juice instead of carbonated water? (yuck!) Another question is have you heard of Dreamfields pasta? It has only 5 grams of digestible carbs per serving instead of 42 and twice the fiber of regular pasta. I'd like to know what your thoughts are on it.
  • Niecytwentyfive
    Niecytwentyfive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your studies are well researched, but unfortunately it is only a very small piece of this very complex puzzle as it does not disprove previous studies of aspartame's danger. It's lab code is E951. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.
    What is dangerous for some may only pose a minor risk to others.
    There have been too many studies that show aspartame causes cancerous growths in laboratory mice,rats and humans. I don't really hear of anyone suggesting that aspartame is a foreign substance, but rather a laboratory experiment of natural ones (Fake Sugar with bleach) Not pure cane. Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr. John W. Olney and consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974, as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious, including seizures and death. there is cause for concern, don't take that risk. Better safe than sorry.
    Anything related to Monsanto should show you a huge red flag!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Your studies are well researched, but unfortunately it is only a very small piece of this very complex puzzle as it does not disprove previous studies of aspartame's danger. It's lab code is E951. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.
    What is dangerous for some may only pose a minor risk to others.
    There have been too many studies that show aspartame causes cancerous growths in laboratory mice,rats and humans. I don't really hear of anyone suggesting that aspartame is a foreign substance, but rather a laboratory experiment of natural ones (Fake Sugar with bleach) Not pure cane. Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr. John W. Olney and consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974, as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious, including seizures and death. there is cause for concern, don't take that risk. Better safe than sorry.
    Anything related to Monsanto should give you a huge red flag!

1) Can you cite your source for the above?

2) Regarding cancer in lab rodents, the Soffritti studies had a significant number of issues with design and with ethical concerns/reporting/peer review/etc.