Ladies - TOM what do you do?

Options

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I work out. It makes the cramps go away, and energizes me. Win win!
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Working out helps my cramps plus taking ibuprofen or any type of pain relieving pills. But to make your pads not obvious, I'd suggest wearing some looser pants or shorts.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Always Infinity pads are extremely slim and can absorb up to eight hours depending on your flow. They're my go-to and I can't see them in my work-out pants.

Same here - I've used Always thin pads for many years and have never had a problem with them moving, bunching or showing while working out. Exercising actually makes me feel better less 'gross' during TOM.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    When I'm ON MY PERIOD (none of that TOM crap), I work out exactly as I do when I'm not on my period. Then again, I don't get cramps and I wear tampons. There's always Midol for cramps. I can't imagine there's a way to make a pad less noticeable in tight workout pants - I'd wear snug underwear and baggy sweats if it were me.

Seriously. My nail guy's name is Tom. My period's name is period.

That's all I got. If it bothers you that much, take a week off and maintain a deficit. You'll still lose. :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Can you get Always Ultra in the USA? Working out in those you barely notice that they're there.... although you might want to wear loose enough trousers that you can be sure the outline of it can't be seen.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wear baggy/loose pants or shorts (ie: Nike shorts)

And who cares if people can see you are wearing a pad. It should be none of their concern what you choose to do to manage your period. Just do what ever exercises feel the most comfortable to you and you should be fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I take a shot to make it go away...now I don't have to deal with it ever.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I do what I have to do because I'm not going to let menstruation dictate anything I do with my life. I don't mean to sound harsh, but unless you have endometriosis or some other medical condition, it's just a period and you power through the discomfort. Yes, even if you choose to wear pads. If we want to excel as women in 2014 we have to put on our big girl (period) panties and deal.

Exercise minimizes period symptoms. Lighter flow, less cramps, etc.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    :( Reading through some of these responses, I'm truly sorry for some of you ladies. I used to have nasty periods when I was a teen, but thankfully they never came back with such vigor after I went on the depo shot (which completely got rid of my period). When it came back after I stopped taking the shot, it was much, much more tolerable and a LOT less painful/disruptive.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    What type of working out are you doing? Cardio? If so, I totally get what you mean and ugh....so annoying. I wear tampons so I don't have the same issue. I work out especially hard during TOM because it eases cramps and bloating for me.

If you are lifting, a pad is fine. I agree with compression shorts, that is a GREAT suggestion...that will hold anything in place, girl!! Good luck.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    What about riding a bike? Doesn't move around too much then! Would have suggested gentle swimming but thats not going to work!

I can't imagine anything worse than riding a bike in a maxi pad.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If its the first day (bad day), I normally just won't work out. Otherwise, its tampons. Took me a while for them to be comfortable but its all I wear now. I know, this thread is totally a TMI thread but were all women! It is what it is.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    During my period I workout as normal but I do wear tampons. Maybe invest in a DivaCup or the Instead cup if it's that much of an issue. I can not IMAGINE working out with a pad.... :(
  • UmmaOfThree
    UmmaOfThree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mix up pad and tampon depending on the flow, where I am and what I'm doing, but I can see what you mean. It's just plain uncomfortable to be moving about constantly wearing a pad, and then you're concerned with where the flow might land during certain movements (for example, yoga), and then you're also concerned that people might notice it. I would say the heck with what other people think and just focus on what's comfortable for you.

I don't belong to a gym, but I do go to an ice skating rink and walk outdoors and in neither case has it ever bothered me what others might see. I'm a woman and yes, I get my period once a month. There's no shame in staying active during them.

Out of all the workouts you do, are there some that you manage better while on your period? Stick with those. I find that biking, whether outdoors or indoors (while wearing a waist slimming support belt) is a great exercise during this time, and if a pad is worn, it actually provides a cushion, so that's a plus.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I workout on my period. If I am too crampy, I go for a walk. I don't sit at home. Makes me more irritable. Working out keeps me sane. Also, I wear what I usually wear. No changes.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I take a shot to make it go away...now I don't have to deal with it ever.

I was on Depo through college and it got rid of my period. It was awesome! Then I stopped taking it when I wanted to have babies and it took me 5 years to conceive. Scared the crap out of me! Went back on it when I decided I didn't want more kids and rather than getting rid of my period altogether, it just left me with month long spotting. That sucked! Now I'm back on the pill. Booo.....
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wear loose fitting work out capris. Lots of women work out during their monthly cycles, just improvise. You don't have to look like you're in fashion or going to a beauty contest for a good sweaty workout, no one really cares.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I have no advice. I've had a hysterectomy...which I don't think I will ever regret! (I had super heavy periods that lasted weeks after children) Although...if a tampon hurts that much...sex is going to be disappointing!! :cry:
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    During my period I workout as normal but I do wear tampons. Maybe invest in a DivaCup or the Instead cup if it's that much of an issue. I can not IMAGINE working out with a pad.... :(

I don't know very much about this DivaCup, but isn't it something that gets inserted too? The problem isn't really the discomfort, it's the fact that there isn't enough SPACE for a tampon. If the DivaCup is something that gets inserted, I likely can't use that either.

ETA: The appearance of the pad through workout pants is a really a very minor thing to me. I just thought I'd add it to see what other people do. The reason the pad bothers me is chafing, because even though the pad stays where it should in my underwear, my underwear moves against my skin.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I will let you know in two weeks. lol I plan on using a pad as Tampons hit my cervix more often than I like it its not a good feeling

ETA Cant spell today...