Options
    this study provides evidence for higher-than-
    normal activity levels in outpatients with anorexia nervosa in
    the presence of a markedly reduced body weight, a decreased
    metabolic rate
    , and low serum T3 concentrations. #{163}3
    We thank Samuel Refetofffor the thyroid-hormone assays

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/53/5/1143.full.pdf+html

Did you read what you just linked... or what you even just quoted?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    metabolic rate

Yes I did. Did you?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    3K nope I'm over 200 lbs and don't even eat that much. I eat that much on a bulk weight gaining diet but most of the time I'm eating 2K. My TDEE is 2650 or so.

My suggestion if you're trying to gain weight is figure out your TDEE and add 500 calories to it and eat whatever calories that comes out to. Don't just eat a random 3K calories plucked out the air.

You really just wanted to talk about you, didn't you?

Pssst, this isn't about you. This is about a girl recovering from an ED. Go brag about your bulk elsewhere.
    It's not about me nor did I say it was. The point is the person's caloric needs would be significantly less than mine not more. Caloric need is based on a person's size, age, and activity.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    3K nope I'm over 200 lbs and don't even eat that much. I eat that much on a bulk weight gaining diet but most of the time I'm eating 2K. My TDEE is 2650 or so.

My suggestion if you're trying to gain weight is figure out your TDEE and add 500 calories to it and eat whatever calories that comes out to. Don't just eat a random 3K calories plucked out the air.

You really just wanted to talk about you, didn't you?

Pssst, this isn't about you. This is about a girl recovering from an ED. Go brag about your bulk elsewhere.
    It's not about me nor did I say it was. The point is the person's caloric needs would be significantly less than mine not more. Caloric need is based on a person's size, age, and activity.

I've kind of been following this thread, and I think the point that you are missing is that someone recovering from an ED has already caused significant damage to internal organs, and likely require additional calories to heal and repair the damage.

I assume that this principle is much the same as the concept of growth in children and lacking the ability to determine the rate at which energy is used for growth. Likewise, for someone recovering from ED, medical science lacks the ability to determine how much energy is needed for the healing process for weakened organs.

Of course, I really have no knowlege on the subject. That is just what I infer from the posters you are debating with.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    metabolic rate

Yes I did. Did you?

I did. I don't want to keep baiting you, but I'm really, really guessing you didn't actually read the results of the study. Go ahead. Read them.

(Nor do you seem to understand the necessity of gaining as much weight as healthily possible as quickly possible here).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Firstsip has provided really excellent information throughout this thread for the op, as well as educating all that are reading, addressing all concerns and questions. Thanks for that!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Firstsip has provided really excellent information throughout this thread for the op, as well as educating all that are reading, addressing all concerns and questions. Thanks for that!

:blushing: :smooched:
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Exercise if you're worried about 3000 calories.
  • postzak
    postzak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ahhh ... the usual generalities of MFP.

3000 calories is not what "everybody" needs or what all healthy women eat. The site advocating 3000 as a minimum targets those in ED recovery .... an unhealthy subset of the populace. If that number is too low, too high, or just right for any given patient is the job of a DOCTOR to figure out ... not a message board.

Without seeing a DOCTOR, there is no way for the OP to know what damage her disorder caused, how severe it is, and what restrictions it places on her activity from here on out.

Now back to advocating random numbers on the internet in place of actual medical advice.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    If I were to eat at minimum 3000 a day would I gain weight quickly or will it take some time to process?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but here is an article on the subject from a woman that recovered and then went on to do starting strength weight lifting (she has a good article on this blog about that as well). This particular article is about the weight gain process. I am familiar also with her mother's writing because she is a scientist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hunger-artist/201110/the-physical-effects-weight-gain-after-starvation

Personally I also had an eating disorder when I was a teenager. I fully understand the roots of what led to it for me and why I did it (in my case it was more of an attempted suicide). It was a slow progression during my childhood and then extreme rapid weight loss. The effects of the weight loss were so frightening to me that I recovered quickly and easily by my own choice (I realized that I wanted to live and be healthy). I just ate and did not worry about calories. When my healthy weight was regained I was able to resume life as normal. So, I never had a long term disorder, making my situation different.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but here is an article on the subject from a woman that recovered and then went on to do starting strength weight lifting (she has a good article on this blog about that as well). This particular article is about the weight gain process. I am familiar also with her mother's writing because she is a scientist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hunger-artist/201110/the-physical-effects-weight-gain-after-starvation

Personally I also had an eating disorder when I was a teenager. I fully understand the roots of what led to it for me and why I did it (in my case it was more of an attempted suicide). It was a slow progression during my childhood and then extreme rapid weight loss. The effects of the weight loss were so frightening to me that I recovered quickly and easily by my own choice (I realized that I wanted to live and be healthy). I just ate and did not worry about calories. When my healthy weight was regained I was able to resume life as normal. So, I never had a long term disorder, making my situation different.

How long did it take you to regain to your healthy weight and what was your intake like? (Such as lots of fast foods or fruits or veggies or chocolates?)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

How long did it take you to regain to your healthy weight and what was your intake like? (Such as lots of fast foods or fruits or veggies or chocolates?)

It was 20 years ago. I don't remember how long it took to regain. The thing I remember is that I didn't get my period for 6 months. The weight loss was rapid and the gain was rapid. I ate vegetables. I ate chicken and red meat. i had very bad anemia. I put mayonaise on my sandwiches. I ate brownies, pie, treats. It took me a little while to establish normal eating habits. Initially I just ate what I wanted. The important thing was to eat and gain at first. I never counted calories. I was afraid of restriction. I only joined mfp in my mid thirties. And I find it actually helpful to prevent under eating.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options

It was 20 years ago. I don't remember how long it took to regain. The thing I remember is that I didn't get my period for 6 months. The weight loss was rapid and the gain was rapid. I ate vegetables. I ate chicken and red meat. i had very bad anemia. I put mayonaise on my sandwiches. I ate brownies, pie, treats. It took me a little while to establish normal eating habits. Initially I just ate what I wanted. The important thing was to eat and gain at first. I never counted calories. I was afraid of restriction. I only joined mfp in my mid thirties. And I find it actually helpful to prevent under eating.
    Did the weight gain come rapidly in months weeks or days? Sorry so many questions!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I honestly don't remember. It took a couple months at least to regain my weight and basic health, and then longer to recover from anemia. I did not have long term damage.

Was the article helpful?
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    I honestly don't remember. It took a couple months at least to regain my weight and basic health, and then longer to recover from anemia. I did not have long term damage.

Was the article helpful?
    The article was wonderful thank you!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Was the article helpful?
    The article was wonderful thank you!

Oh, good! I am so glad that you are motivated to get well. I wish you the best on this process!!!