your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• leena31
    leena31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor today because my TSH is low and i have undiagnosed myopathy. The doctor tells me all of my problems are because I am fat. Never mind the high ck levels, muscle changes on EMG, goiter, note from other doctor saying that iI should be checked for thyroid dysfunction. I feel humiliated and never want to see another doctor again.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Having my dad ask a friend if she knew someone who would take me to the prom. She actually did but he called the day of the prom and said he had to work. After I'd bought a dress and had my hair done. I never got to my prom either my junior or senior year.
    :noway:
    Never got to go either ... got kicked out of the schools right before it came up both times...

:sad: :sad:

maybe I could have taken ya :flowerforyou:
  • orangeskiesinlove
    orangeskiesinlove Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "Are you having a baby?"

No. No I'm not.

Rude as hell woman in a beer garden (Why would I be standing having a cigarette with a pint if i was pregnant pray tell?)

And just general looks of 'Why is SHE buying THAT' When clothes/food shopping. Oh I'm sorry love, if you have a problem with whats in my trolley please take the 24 pack of crisps in YOUR trolley and shove them up your self righteous *kitten*!

People can be so rude and judgmental considering weight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm continuously amazed at how mean people can be. I've had my share of weight related meanness, but some of these stories are so hugely...I don't even have words. lol

edited for speeling.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor today because my TSH is low and i have undiagnosed myopathy. The doctor tells me all of my problems are because I am fat. Never mind the high ck levels, muscle changes on EMG, goiter, note from other doctor saying that iI should be checked for thyroid dysfunction. I feel humiliated and never want to see another doctor again.

There's whole blogs dedicated to doctors who glance at a person, declare them 'fat' and walk away without any consideration for anything else. It's the only time reading comments from people on the internet has made me cry.
  • grim_streaker
    grim_streaker Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "You are too big to date"

Yeah that one, an evil loop that then turns into more food
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have horrible memories from my childhood and I was no where near being fat . I had a little chubbiness going on but I remember the following:

My mom taking my brother and I for icecream when I was around 10 and stating to me" I'm not going to buy you one becuase you need to lose weight " My brother has hyperthyroidsm and could eat whatever he wanted while I had to 'diet" as a child

I am 5 foot 7 and reached that height at 12 or 13. Family would call me Bismark and I was only around a size 9 at that time

A couple years ago I met a new 'friend' through another friend and she stated how beautiful I was but had I ever thought of losing weight ? Nope never thought about it at all. You mean I have a weight problem. What a witch with a capital B

Anyway people are cruel
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I was out running and 2 young guys in a car yelled rude things at me.
    I was having my wedding dress fitted and the stupid seamstress kept calling me a "big beautiful girl." I wanted to smack her.
    A guy I had a crush on told me that he'd date me if I lost 20 lbs. (I was a size 8 then)
    My kid came home from school upset because some of his friends had been laughing at me behind my back.
    A homeless guy sang Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" at me on a busy city street.
    Some teenagers sang "Baby Got Back" at me when I walked past them.

Can't think of any more right now, but there are plenty.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Having my dad ask a friend if she knew someone who would take me to the prom. She actually did but he called the day of the prom and said he had to work. After I'd bought a dress and had my hair done. I never got to my prom either my junior or senior year.
    :noway:
    Never got to go either ... got kicked out of the schools right before it came up both times...

:sad: :sad:

maybe I could have taken ya :flowerforyou:

Awwww - that might have been fun!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    My mom has been stick thin her whole life and she's totally clueless about what it means to be fat. We went shopping together for a professional wardrobe for me. She headed straight for the women's department. I tried to quietly tell her that nothing in this department would fit me. She has a loud voice and she said "don't be silly. They have a 16 here and an18 here". I said that I wore a 22. She exclaimed .Oh my god! Do they even sell clothes that big in regular stores?.. I showed her the plus size department. She kept saying.. My god these clothes are huge! You could use this one as a tent!... It was awful.

This is why I never go shopping with anyone. Too many traumatic experiences.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went out for a nice meal, before he went overseas. I was wearing this really sexy, somewhat tight dress. It was a red, Calvin Klein sheath dress I got for our rehearsal dinner over 3 years ago. It was my go-to dress. After the meal, we were walking around the city, and I realized my dress had ripped in the butt area. When I bought the dress, it was a little too big for me. I don't think it sounds that bad, but I think it was the turning point for me, so it sticks out the most.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Oh I just remembered another one but it's not me it was a friend. Somebody in a bar called her a fat stupid *****. She turned to the guy and said "I may be fat and I may be a ***** but I'm not stupid!" and she punched him in the face!
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just had that happen last weekend by a now ex-friend...should have said and done exactly that to him!! You always think of the BEST come back lines too late =)
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are some really mean things here. I, for the most part have not experienced much ridicule. I only got overweight in high school (around 16) WORST TIME, actually, but still didn't have people saying anything to my face then.

One thing comes to mind though. Right after I had my daughter (back in 2008) I was in grad school and with a group of 10 classmates and a professor at a studio critique. I had given birth just a couple weeks earlier and one of my classmates said, "Wow, I didn't even know you were pregnant! You've always been kind of ... (insert puffed cheeks & hand/arm gestures to indicate the roundness of a fat body)" This was in front of everyone and made me feel bad about myself (a rare thing). I have a pretty thick skin, but whether or not it may have been true I was horrified and lost respect for her immediately. I mean, seriously, who does that? It was such a rude thing to do and was shocked by it.

On the "look" THIS I totally understand. I've experienced this more than anything else. It can be just as bad, but again, I am pretty hard to shake, so I just try to chalk it up to people own insecurities or rotten personalities even though it sometimes hurts.

There are some really terrible people out there, unfortunately. :(
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    This guy I liked in high school started singing "Fat-Bottom Girls" by Queen at me, once. That was the end of that. LOL
  • smithcentral
    smithcentral Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Having one of my mom's friends see me at work and say "you're too pretty to be so fat!" :grumble:
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nothing to bad, I have a brother who every get together for some reason just loves to bring it to everyone's attention that I'm obese. I think he does it to motivate me so I'm not mad at him but its embarrassing.
  • Newgirlnewme
    Options
    When people try to tickle me. Ughh
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fix (comfortably) at those weird attached desks at school.
  • blujp
    blujp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I remember always having to go diets - I went on Atkins and WeightWatchers (I remember being in 5th grade and going to a swim party at school and a teacher complimenting me on losing weight) and being made to work out, which I hated, so much that sometimes I'd cry. Now I look back on pictures from around then and in high school and I really wasn't even that fat? Overweight, a bit, but far from what I'd been made to think I looked like. Now I'm obese and working on slimming down and everyone in my family is complimenting me and telling me how 'proud' they are of me - which is nice, I guess, but it makes me wonder what happens if I gain back the weight (which I don't intend to do at all! But who knows)?

I haven't gotten many comments about my weight recently though, although my siblings would sometimes call me fat when I was younger. I do remember a year or two ago my sister was talking about going on a diet or something and my uncle made a remark about 'you going on it too?'