• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    914287_585210091575624_1336338080_n.jpg

oh well.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I train at home so my dog is the only one staring at me. But I've thought of going to a commercial gym once in a while just to troll people. By that I don't mean stare at them, I mean the opposite - do funny chit to get a reaction out of them. lol
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Why were you watching what they were doing? Beginners typically get very self conscience about even walking into a gym or other type exercise program where they feel "people will be watching me", or I am so fat and self conscience of it, I am afraid all these fit people are going to be whispering to one another, making fun of me. It's kind of like how everyone felt the first day of kindergarten. Scared.

That's not how it is. The guy or gal working out next to you, very well could have been a 100 pounds overweight a couple of years ago, and those who have been fit and have maintained their fitness more than welcome people into their gyms, because they very we'll know the seriousness of obesity in this country, and they want to help fix it, starting with overweight beginners who have the courage and determination to walk in there and do it. If they're looking at you it may be out of admiration, or their wanting to show you how to do an exercise or work a machine.

Are there jerks? Of course, jerks can be anywhere anytime of the day, but they are in the tiny minut minority of the exercising class of this country. The majority of fit people in this country will not tolerate making fun of someone because they're overweight or out of shape.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.

Well when I'm not busy getting fit from taking selfies, all I seem to want to do is stare and judge everybody. What else am I supposed to do while at the gym?
    /sarcasm

OP sounds really insecure. When you're busy worrying about what everybody else may be doing or thinking, you clearly aren't working out all that hard yourself.