WTF is 'Broiling'?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I'm intrigued by this American thing called brisket... I will have to try it one day

We have Brisket too - it's that part of the beast just above the front leg ....

BeefCutBrisket.svg

I didn't know that.... in fact I didn't know the names of a few of those... I just call all of it "steak" lol... are there regional variations of these, because I quite often have rump steak and that's not on there... I always assumed it to be around where round is, not far from sirloin... chuck, brisket, plate and flank I've not heard of before
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That drawer that is under the oven is the broiler. The flames are above the food instead of below it.

The only flames in my oven is when the wife is in charge of cooking ..... #runsandhides
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Next up, cups, boots, and flats.

and dodgy, pavement, bath, jumper and lifts

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks I

and that just brings this thread full circle...... because I'm going to cook some snags on the barbie.

I just learned another one .. apparently they call the Main Course an entrée ... amazing what you learn on MFP :-)

I blame the French

Except in French the entree isn't the entree it's the plat principal. Apologies for lack of accent marks on my phone.

That always confused me, because I was pretty sure that "entree" was not French for main course.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

That always confused me, because I was pretty sure that "entree" was not French for main course.

It's what wiki thinks too
    In French cuisine, an entrée (/ˈɑːntreɪ/ /ˈɒntreɪ/ ahn-tray; French "entrance") is a dish served before the main course, or between two principal courses of a meal.

The word entrée in French originally denoted the "entry" of the dishes from the kitchens into the dining hall. In the illustration from a French fifteenth-century illuminated manuscript of the Histoire d'Olivier de Castille et d'Artus d'Algarbe, a fanfare from trumpeters in the musicians' gallery announces the processional entrée of a series of dishes preceded by a covered cup that is the ancestor of the tureen, carried by the maître d'hôtel. The entrée will be shown round the hall but served only to the high table (though it does not stand on a dais in this hall), where the guests are set apart by a gold-and-crimson damask canopy of estate.

In traditional French haute cuisine, the entrée preceded a larger dish known as the relevé, which "replaces" or "relieves" it, an obsolete term in modern cooking, but still used as late as 1921 in Escoffier's Le Guide Culinaire.

In France, the modern restaurant menu meaning of "entrée" is the course that precedes the main course in a three-course meal,[12] i.e. the course which in British usage is often called the "starter" and in American usage the "appetizer". Thus a typical modern French three-course meal in a restaurant consists of "entrée" (first course, starter (UK), appetizer (U.S.)) followed by the "plat" or "plat principal" (the main course) and then dessert or cheese. This procession is commonly found in prix fixe menus.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Also, whilst on the road to learning new stuff .... I found out that Bistro is not French (as I thought) but of Russian origin #wellinever
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    lol i read this as the i as an el. Brolling. i figured it was bro trolling, I'm terribly disappointed.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Next up, cups, boots, and flats.

and dodgy, pavement, bath, jumper and lifts

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks I

and that just brings this thread full circle...... because I'm going to cook some snags on the barbie.

I just learned another one .. apparently they call the Main Course an entrée ... amazing what you learn on MFP :-)

I blame the French

Except in French the entree isn't the entree it's the plat principal. Apologies for lack of accent marks on my phone.

Indeed. There's a bit of that in American English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrée

ETA: Just so there's no confusion, I still blame the French

As an American, married to a Brit, living in Canada...

Don't get me started on this ****. Chips, crisps, biscuits, cookies, the ubiquity of the word "****"...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Americans use a broiler to broil. Brits use a grill to... grill. Same thing, two different terms.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Americans use a broiler to broil. Brits use a grill to... grill. Same thing, two different terms.

Don't be bringing your logic into my rant :-p
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    lol i read this as the i as an el. Brolling. i figured it was bro trolling, I'm terribly disappointed.

Nope just very rainy afternoon boredom
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    what do Americans call cooking on a griddle? i.e. a griddle pan on the hob (stove?... you know that thing with rings of gas or electricity that you put pans on) - is that grilling or something else?

Cooking. Seriously. At least where I'm from.

Frying.

Welcome to Canada.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hey! Let's make in more confusing since sometimes when you say American, Europeans assume that includes Canada (it doesn't :)

Broiling - is done in the oven with high heat from above
    Barbecue is done outside on a barbecue and involves barbecue sauce
    Grilling is done outside on a barbecue and does not involve barbecue sauce

You fry things on the griddle.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Come to the Gulf and you'll also come across "Brosted" which they believe is an English word, as in "Brosted chicken", but they shorten that to "Brosted" as in "Would you like some brosted?" - it's pronounced like "Frosted". They think it's a borrowed word from English, so expect me to understand what it is. I have no idea what language it's borrowed form (if any). I still haven't figured out exactly what it is, but it seems to be similar to fried, as in brosted chicken looks like fried chicken to me, similar to KFC.#

going back to broiling.... so let me get this straight, in the USA grilling is called broiling, and barbequing is called grilling? Okay, I think I've got that.

In British English, grilling is cooking on any kind of grill (metal thing made from a grid of thin metal bars) and heat from any source or any direction, and barbequing is grilling on an open fire.

A lot of people over here consider BBQ to be anything where the food is cooked over a fire of some sort as well, but that's just not correct. That is grilling. BBQ is a very slow cooking method involving low, indirect heat, and a lot of time. Its actually impossible to do on the usual background gas or charcoal grill.

BBQ is totally distinct, and totally not the same as or interchangeable with grilling. Similarly, boiling and frying are not the same thing either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's short for "Bro who's grilling".:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is grilling:

grilling-2.gif

This is BBQ:
    butts.jpg
  • kikityme
    Options
    This is BBQ:
    butts.jpg

And if you haven't noticed, BBQ is a bit of a religion I've noticed. While visiting the states I watched an honest to god fight over Texas vs. Carolina BBQ.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I griddle on a griddle.
    I fry in a frying pan.
  • kikityme
    Options

I griddle on a griddle.
    I fry in a frying pan.

I had to look that up, I didn't even know griddle was a verb. Learn something new every day!
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I had to look that up, I didn't even know griddle was a verb. Learn something new every day!

This is all fascinating! And somewhat confusing.

For clarity, if broiling is done inside an oven, is this with the door closed (huge no-no for UK grills), and does this mean that ovens in the US/Canada don't have a separate grill/broil from the main oven?
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've actually always wondered this myself. I'm in Australia, and we call it grilling to, with a grill. Our term for BBQ is much less religious too, from what I've read here. Bad ones are mostly burnt sausages. Nice ones are anything from vegetable skewers, to fish, prawns etc. It's just an outdoor, over a flame or coal kind of deal, and usually doesn't go on until everyone's already almost ready to eat.