I hate protein drinks!!!

Options

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The only protein powder that ever tastes palatable to me - is Optimum whey in vanilla. I had a sample at a big box store, and the lady pummeled it in a blender. The taste was smooth and creamy.

There's something about protein that reminds me of chalk. It probably has to do with the macro nutrient ratio. You would probably need more carbohydrates and sugar to make it taste like a traditional chocolate or vanilla shake.

I think protein powder tastes pretty good when blended with a couple ice cubes and a frozen banana.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Lean shakes are really good they cost a little more U can find them any gnc or use protein to make smoothies that's what I'm doing with this yucky protein I bought and it taste awesome
    Simple recipe made it my self and it taste really good
    1/2 banana
    Cup frozen strawberry
    1 scoop vanilla protein
    1/2 cup a Greek yoghurt
    Cup of non fat milk
    And blend
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to make protein shakes taste better! Or is there a really good tasting one out there. I need to drink a protein shake to help with my protein intake as well as to keep me full longer but I can't stand the taste
    Don't drink them. If you want to feel full longer EAT protein. If you're going for the convenience of getting out of the house quick in the morning and still getting your breakfast, then make a Greek yogurt smoothie the night before and freeze it. Then spend time digging and eating it with a spoon while wearing arm weights (not in the car but at a desk or something).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    There are powders that you can buy that are tasteless and mix well with just about anything. Isopure also make "clear" protein drinks that taste more like juice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take a scoop of Gold Standard vanilla protein and 8 oz of orange juice with some ice in the blender. Tastes like an orange cream cooler.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options

It was recommended that I drink some form of protein drink to help me feel full longer. I only get 1220 calories per day and to get 64 grams of protein a day i would have to eat nothing but leAn meats because I can't do dairy

:noway:
    I was with you up until the 64g a day part...
    What are you eating (or not eating) in the average day that 64 grams is impossible without supplements?
  • jmsic
    jmsic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like herbalife shakes with their extra protein powder. I make it with ice, water and extra vanilla. sometimes I add PB2 to the chocolate shakes. yum. can also add stevia to make it a little sweeter.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Add coconut milk, and a tablespoon of both peanut butter and baking cocoa. Blend it like Beckham, and enjoy!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I use ARO whey protein and I like it, but when I am in chocolate mood, I add a couple of teaspoons of ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder (to my chocolate protein powder), powder is already somewhat sweet so it tastes like some good dark chocolate.

I also use concentrates from ProtiDiet, you mix them with water and they just taste like flavored water, there are flavors like lemon, orange, punch, etc. There is 90 calories, 2 grams carbs and 0 fat. The protein is hydrolyzed gelatin, basically collagen. These don't taste anything like a protein shake. If you search it there are various places to buy them online.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I bought some protein powder, i've only used a little bit, but I take statins, beta blockers and aspirin. I was just reading on the internet protein powder can interfere with this medication, does anyone know anything about this please.
  • 250gorilla
    250gorilla Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hate them also. I found Dole peach mango smoothie 3 protein in freezer section and add 1 chiobani plain yogurt 18 protein, 1 cup skim milk 8 protein =29 protein
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to make protein shakes taste better! Or is there a really good tasting one out there. I need to drink a protein shake to help with my protein intake as well as to keep me full longer but I can't stand the taste
    Don't drink them. If you want to feel full longer EAT protein. If you're going for the convenience of getting out of the house quick in the morning and still getting your breakfast, then make a Greek yogurt smoothie the night before and freeze it. Then spend time digging and eating it with a spoon while wearing arm weights (not in the car but at a desk or something).

Sorry, I hadn't read that you can't do dairy. That makes things harder.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mine definitely tastes like booty. I just look at it and get that disgusting taste and smell and then close the cabinet because I don't want it anymore.
  • FromAshes2Beast
    FromAshes2Beast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I mix banana, peanut butter, cocoa, cottage cheese, protein powder, and a bit of splenda. Makes for a super yummy protein smoothie :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If it tastes like crap, the company probably meets it's taste.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a dr. recommend Instant breakfast for added protein. I make a smoothie for breakfast with a cup of almond milk, unsweetened, a small banana and an instant breakfast packet all blended together. Instant breakfast comes with sugar or sugar free and adds 5 grams of protein plus what the almond milk has. It may not add as much protein as other drinks, but it tastes a whole lot better.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    IMHO, they taste better COLD! I put them in a water bottle with a handful of ice cubes.
  • mells11
    mells11 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Jay Robbs unflavored protein powder. That way i can make it taste like anything. I have found all of the brand to be good though.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I could never stomach whey protein for some odd reason. I have no problem with dairy otherwise but a scoop of whey protein powder (mixed or cooked in anything) made my stomach cramp until digested if I didn't throw it up right away. I went with egg protein powder for a while (banana flavored was my favorite, tasted like dessert every time). Eventually it got expensive and this time around the idea didn't appeal to me as much as it had in the past.

These days I boost my protein with egg-white omelets, chicken tenderloin, and/or rotisserie chicken. I'll toss in different veggies or use different seasonings if I get bored and it gets me eating more veggies during the day which is always a plus.