WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

Heather thanks for sharing your story about your father, War does awful things to our young men and women . Hard to say what your dad would have been like without that awful experience. Still it does not excuse his behavior. A friend of mine father survived the Bataan Death March in the Pacific., and he was never the same. My dad was a pilot in Alaska. He was a scout plane and didn’t carry any ammunition. Fortunately the day he spotted the Japanese who were trying to fake us out at Midway there were plenty of clouds otherwise I wouldn’t be here today. He eventually became a flight instructor which also probably saved him. Unfortunately at this time because he was an officer he also was one of the men who went to deliver the news when someone was not coming home. My memory of him was a pacifist, and I am sure his war experience was a big part of the reason for that.

I don’t blame your mom about India. That was a very turbulent time in its history. My grandparents were missionaries there until 1930. They commented on the changes they could see Gandhi was instigating. Right after WWII it was a blood bath there. Gandhi had he lived would have wept.

I mentioned it before but the the museum at Ypers in Belgium is a heart rending place that shows the stupidity of WWI. As difficult a place that is I am still glad I went to honor those soldiers.

When I think of the trying times in which we live we don’t have to look to far back to see how hard it was and the effect these events have on us today.

Today I look to the past to heal today, so tomorrow I wake to a healthier tomorrow.
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • stewartstory
    stewartstory Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm 58 and have lost and gained, lost and gained for most of my life. I have bad knees and don't run but I can cycle, have celiac and have to eat gluten free or get very ill (new discovery as I've gotten gluten out of my system the past few months) and I want to drop 40-50 pounds once and for all. I can't do it alone and would appreciate input as I go along. I'm starting over at zero today. Thanks!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Wow, lots of new people! Welcome, welcome. Have been to church and trying to decide what to do with my afternoon. Of course there are all sorts of things I should be doing. I leave early Tuesday morning for Colorado to spend a week with my best friend who moved out there last November. It should be a fun time.

I thought after our end-of-year choir party that I would not be singing much over the summer but they are having a memorial service for one of our former pastors and the family has asked the chancel choir to sing. Then our current pastor asked Joyful Accord, the small ensemble I sing with to sing July 6. Yesterday I got a phone call asking me to sing with the women's ensemble on June 19 because so many people are out of town and they need altos so I am singing more than I expected.

Joyce - When I do water exercise I go to my Fitbit dashboard and then log my water activity. I does not give me steps or distance but does record calorie burn.

Everyone have a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ Sylvia~- if you have the fit bit flex that can be used in the shower, i dont wear it in there ,but you can. but you cant wear it in the pool or any body of water.. when I water jog in the pool, I check the clock when I go in and when I get out and go from there...
    we had a lovely day... very tired with to much sun but great day anyway..
    we took the DH electric car down to the shore. it gets about 45 miles on a charge, so we got 3/4 of the way down and parked at a dealership that had a charging station and walked almost a mile to a place for breakfast. had to wait a bit to get in, and then went back to the car, and luckly they had some outdoor seating in the shade, so we hung out there for another hour.. and off we went to the shore.. we went to the boardwalk and sat on a bench for about an hour and a half, then went back to the dealership for 1/2 hr and then off we went and got an ice cream:embarassed: , and home.. so we didnt use any gas, saved money there ,but sat around alot so we wouldn't have too :laugh:
    all in all a wonderful day, but boy am I tired
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal of 125 pounds on Friday. Actually beat it. 124.5.
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Would like to join this group. Have been AOL since March and ready to jump up on the wagon. Planning to check in daily and get to know the members of this board.:flowerforyou:
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Are there certain things you all like to post like goals???
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Big welcome to all you new ladies. I do hope you will come back often and tell us all about yourselves. We usually sign off with our names, but we like to know what part of the world you are in, too.

I went to a friends house this afternoon for our clay club meeting, and I'm afraid I was unfaithful to Bruno. I met the most adorable English bulldog named Daisy, and fell completely in love. It was mutual. We spent most of the meeting on the floor with one of us getting our fat little belly rubbed. When I got home, Bruno was aghast! He kept sniffing my jeans like they were covered with bacon or something. Maybe someday he can forgive me. I didn't eat much at the potluck, so now I'm starving.

I am loving my fitbit flex! It's amazing how well it shares info with MFP. When we went out to walk the dogs this evening, the calories burned were already on there. And, I got walking credit for shopping at Walmart and the grocery store and pet store. Before I never bothered trying to log that stuff. And no, I won't wear it in the pool. Not sure how well it will work on the treadmill, because I'm normally holding on and not moving my arms. I already got a "badge" for 5000 steps. Not sure what that means.

Well, off I go to cook dome dinner. Goodnight everybody!

Sylvia
    In Kansas!
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Whew lots of new ladies, I love to see the newcomers. :happy:

A very busy weekend. I had coffee with my ex-coworker and I was so proud of myself. She had some sort of sugary cake thing with tea and I just had the tea.

I did Aquafit yesterday and Cardiofit boxing class today. I've lost 2 of the 4 lbs that I gained in May.

DD has gone out with some friends to a movie & dinner so I have the place to myself. I love having time to myself, it's so quiet.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • stewartstory
    stewartstory Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Sylvia,

This is Denise in California. Your whippet looks adorable. I have two dogs, Ollie and Ivy. Oliie is mainly Pointer, but we thought Ivy was maybe Jack Russell and Whippet when she joined the family four years ago. Now, I think she's mainly Jack Russell. Still love those Whippets! I dog sit part time so I get to have fun with other breeds a few days at time. I'll shut up about dogs now.:laugh:
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Denise in CA,
    Oh, please don't shut up about dogs! Dogs are one of my favorite things in the world. We have Molly, who is our third whippet. We got one from a shelter about 10 years ago and loved the breed. After she passed, we got Molly from a puppy mill that was closed by the authorities, and later a male elderly whippet from a shelter in Kansas City. He passed a year ago I'm May, and I found Bruno online. He was "sold" as a whippet mix, but we had our doubts. We did a mail order DNA test though, and he came back as half whippet and half Jack Russell. We can't see the Jack Russell in him, but his personality is very much like one. I've never seen such a busy little dog. He slowly but surely took over the household. He is a hoot! He makes me laugh every day. If you click on my profile pic, I think I have a picture of Bruno on there.

What part of California are you in? I went to high school in Lancaster.

Sylvia
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal of 125 pounds on Friday. Actually beat it. 124.5.
    I started this post earlier and took a break and I came back to it and wrote
    a long post and when I pushed reply it disappear ed but the quote showed up.
    Sooo, congratulations on making your goal.

I had a really bad day today emotionally and I wrote all about it, and lost it, I'll
    make it short, I have a good friend who's dil is in the last stage of brain cancer,
    She is leaving behind 3 young children and husband. She is such a sweet
    person. This is was her second round of brain cancer. Two yrs ago I had a friend
    that died at the age of 46, due to cancer, well her dd just had a baby and it was really
    hard not having her mom and her dad isn't in the picture because when he lost his
    wife he didn't deal with it very well, he pretty much hooked up with a lady from his
    work pretty quickly. And his daughter wasn't happy. She's really struggling right now.
    But to get back to my day, all this hit me while sitting in church waiting for my dd to
    come which she didn't make it, this was to be her last day of church since she's moving
    to Colorado. Anyway all these emotions came at me at once, part of me feel s guilty for
    Feeling sorry for myself about Andrea and Joel's move when I look around and see what
    others are dealing with.

My emotions got the best of me so when we went out for lunch (a buffet), I blew it big time. I
    chose smarter than I would have in the past but the servings were way over. I won't expect to
    lose any lbs this week. I hope this will be my last binge for a long time.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Brenda from Md
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI~Ladies!
    Had a great week-end with son,DIL and Leah.The kids enjoyed their wedding and gram,enjoyed her time with Leah.
    My son bought me some tylenol arthritis and it sure helped with the knee pain.
    Got to go for a walk with Leah.So normally she goes to bed by 7.not 4 this gram.She stayed up til her parents came home.
    Trying to catch up tonite.Did grocery shopping and errands and have laundry to fold.Need to get to bed soon.Have to be at hospital at 5:45.Surgery should be at 730.Am nervous as they keep saying a general and dr and I discussed twilight sleep.Finally got my wedding ring off.
    Welcome all new ladies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hugs
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I was sick yesterday and stayed in bed. Today I got up to host my dad’s 90th birthday party at the nursing home then came home and went right back to bed! Just exhausted! It was very nice and dad was totally surprised and if DD#1 hadn’t been there it would have been really nice. She and DD#2 went shopping after church today (I stayed in bed for church) and DD#2 came home in tears from the way Tanya was treating her. She was no better at the party. First of all she looked like crap when I told her she needed to dress up a little…she sauntered in late with dirty jeans with huge rips in them ( not the kind you pay for) and a dirty, stained sweatshirt. She sat and glowered at everyone and of course did not speak to any one unless she was asked a question, then she snapped.

So once we got home I told DH that he can talk to her or I will but she is not coming to our home or family functions anymore unless she looks and more importantly, acts appropriately. I know I sound like an old witch, but I am through with her drama and bad attitude. It’s just more magnified now and I realize she is angry, but she can’t continue to take things out on everyone else. I spent years teaching her how to speak to people and the way she acts, others get the impression she doesn’t want to be around them and is not interested in them. She can certainly bring herself to say “How are your dogs” or “How are the horses” to someone who has been like an aunt to her. I actually had to tell her to say Happy Birthday to grandpa.

OK rant over; sorry, I am just so despondent over her behavior.

Dr. Katy congratulations on your retirement~

Katla: sometimes those nice quiet days are just what you need!

Eileen: now I do my own highlights…no cap, no foil!

Brenda: great mantra~!

Cynthia: great job on the weight loss! I count gardening

Heather: what does a girl have to do to get invited to one of your dinner parties!!!!! Congrats on the weight loss

47jacqueline: sounds like you get tons of exercise. I wish I had your motivation

Michele: I got blisters on my hands reading about your river rock LOL

Sylvia: sounds like your BP is doing ok right now. Congrats on the smaller size!

Sue: great version of the serenity prayer. Too bad CC didn’t win the triple crown. I heard the owners got kind of nasty afterwards.

Beth: your story about your son was really cute!

Kim: how nice that you got a ticket to the graduation!

Jen: we are glad you’re back too!

Tammy: welcome to our very chatty group!

Geri: welcome back!

Jb: glad you are getting better.. Such great news about Mariah!

Lilly: wow! 100! Good for your auntie!

Jill: wow you have been getting some great exercise!

Joyce: wow that was scary. Let us know what the dr says!

Brenda: I’m so sorry about friend’s dil and your other losses…be kind to yourself. We all have days that are overwhelming and
    we don’t make the best choices. It’s OK. Sending you hugs!

Well ladies I can’t stay up much longer. There were lots of other newbies to say welcome to and lots of other “old” friends to say hi to, but my energy is gone. Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is cool and cloudy and threatening rain again.

Oh I know what I was going to ask...has anyone here tried hypnosis? I am considering it...I think I am very busy sabotaging myself.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, wear that Flex everywhere you go unless it doesn't go with your outfit of course. :laugh: :laugh: since it measures calories burned at night I'm sure it will measure calories while on treadmill. I know my FitBit one measures my calories while I am on my recumbent bike

To all our new members here. Goals can be a goal of anything. Some one has a goal of buying a new swim suit, others have goals of cleaning a closet. Of course goals can be weight oriented such as how many steps, how many times a week to got o the gym, etc. I have found that although I don't post any goals I have done a lot of self discovering through this process. It has really helped me grow as a person as I shrink as a body! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of balance games on the Wii this morning. Should really do those more often. Tomorrow I'm planning to do some yoga, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

When the guy delivered the (hopefully) final 10 yards of riverrock the other day, he made a mistake. He thought we wanted two deliveries, one of each size. We wanted one delivery of a mix of both sizes. He looked at his paperwork and realized that he did, indeed, make a mistake. So back to the landscape place for the rest. Unfortunately for me, what that means is that I have to hand mix both sizes. I usually do that when I shovel it off the pile into the dumpcart that's attached to the tractor. At least they're mixed when I shovel them out of the dumpcart into the smaller cart we have and then wheel that cart to where we're putting down the rock.

When the dumpacrt is empty, I usually fill up the smaller cart with the mulch that is below the deck right now and take it up in front of the house where the mulch has deteriorated. Don't know how long this mulch will last, but at least it's not going to waste. Even if it decomposes in the front, that's OK.

We found a drain that Vince thinks they cut when they put in the conduit for the detached garage. So we'll probably need to dig up that drain and fix the cut. ANOTHER project.

Tammy - welcome. You're off to a good start with your tracking. Congrats on becoming a grandma. Post as often as you can. Even if it's just to say "hi".

This will be the last delivery of rock. That is....unless I can convince Vince that we should rock this one area where I think it would look really nice.

We started putting some rock down again today (we have for a few days, but then it started to rain. Weather.com says that it'll rain a bit, get sunny, and then rain again. So I came in and made chocolate chip cookies for Jessica. I'll freeze them and have them for when we go up there at the end of the month to help her move into her new place. Update: We'll probably leave on Thurs and come back on Sun. I know Jessica wants us to come up sooner, but she's working. Actually, we can tell that she's getting somewhat anxious. This always happens

Joyce - I WISH I was losing 1 pound every 6 weeks. Seems I lose one in 6 weeks, then gain one the next 6. Ahhh well.. I feel good and to me, that's what matters. Be sure you wear a skirt/dress that billows out when you twirl around!

Kim - it never ceases to amaze me how God works things out. I know it's for the best, but sometimes I just can't see how it is

Just went to wash out the bowl that I made the chocolate chip cookies in and found that there was more dough that I'd forgotten to bake so I'm making some more right now.

jb - thanks for the update on Mariah. That little girl has been thru so much. But then again, God never gives more than we can handle. My prayers are still with her. Maybe He knows what a loving support system she has

Now the sun is out and weather.com says it shouldn't rain until around 6. Maybe I'll go in the pool later for a bit after the cookies come out of the oven.

Heather - I've gotten to where I really like the shirataki noodles. I admit, at first I didn't like them. But I kept trying them and now I prefer them to regular spaghetti. To me, the worst part is that the sauce doesn't stick to them as well as it does to spaghetti. Can't wait to read your weight loss history. I'm sure I've read it before, but it'll still be good to read it again.

Sylvia - I always thought dogs liked to run

Lily - 100 years old! Wow!

For the last few years I always went to the Farmer's Market on Sat. morning right before yoga. I would get there when the market opened. Now they changed the time for the yoga class, I just haven't been incented to get there. I keep saying that I need to, but just never do. I must do it

VickiW - I'm sure there's a way to have your goals show up at the bottom, but I don't know how. I bet katla does. Sending tissues to your computer for it's virus (excuse me, I'm in a bit of a goofy mood right now). Congrats on the weight loss

ScaryMaryOne - welcome!

Cindy - truth be told, I do different workouts because I get bored very easily. I see so many things on Pinterest, like cakes and recipes, but then I don't know how to get to the recipe or to the details of how the cake was made.

Manc - just jump right on in. No judgment here. Why wait until July??? We'd love for you to be here now

Pam - come by often

yanniejannie - thanks for reminding me that I had our work clothes in the wash (I'd rinsed them out) and needed to put them in the dryer. I tried everything to squirrel proof my birdfeeder, and never could find something that worked

running amok - congrats on getting to your goal

aedreana - welcome.

Joyce - what a scare you had! Pleae let us know what the MD says

stewartstory and KayKallsen - welcome!

KayKallsen - I like to post my exercises. Wish more people would do that. (thanks Cynthia) We also post about things that are going on in our lives as that affect our emotions etc. and how we eat. Other than that, I don't think there are any abaolute "musts" Most of us (I think just about everyone) likes to share their NSV (non-scale victories)

Picked up some of the smaller stones, put them back on the pile to make it easier to shovel and then went in the pool. Had a REAL bad rain storm thank goodness it didn't last very long. Seem tomorrow Vince said we'll be working on the pipe that he suspects was cut

Brenda - so sorry about your friend's dil and everything you are going thru

Meg - so sorry you're sick. Bet you made your dad real happy, tho. So sorry your daughter is acting that way. I'd be interested in the hypnosis too. I know a cousin of mine tried it to help her quit smoking but it didn't work.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Meg, the diastolic BP has been in the upper 50's and low 60's the last couple of days. I can handle that. It's when it's in the low 50's, 40's, or once 39 that I have trouble with. To be honest, I have eased up a little on my no-salt diet, and skipped my water pill a couple of times and I think that helped. Also forcing myself to drink more water. Or it could just be a fluke. I hope you feel better soon, and that your daughter gets her head out of where the sun don't shine.

Michele, I also wish I had your energy! You are like the energizer bunny! And yes, my dogs love to run except when they are sound asleep. That's about half the time for Molly.

Goodnight ladies. I'm taking my little Fitbit off to dreamland.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Oh, meg, I forgot yo say that I tried hypnosis once to lose weight. Paid a couple hundred dollars as I recall, for a two night seminar. The only thing I lost was $200.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I am Belinda from California. I saw all these posts and thought what a great bunch of ladies!
    So about me, I hate talking about me. But here goes, I have been actively logging here on MFP since Sept 2013. And quite surpass at the weight I lost. I credit it a lot to the challenges I am in. Oh that reminds me I have to check in. Not sure what my goal is because I just want to lose. I know I should set one. But I have failed so many times it is kind of scary. So my goal isn't a set number but I want to be under 200's. I am 5'11". And I just read somewhere I should be at 165 lbs. HA! I asked my 83 year old mother about when she thought I ever weighed 165lbs the other day and she said when I was 13. I think if I get to under 200 I will try for another 25lbs. Bit as of right now I a just glad I have lost this much. I haven't had a chance to read everyones posts here. But man, I have learned so much already about many of you. Hope to see you around here. And please friend me if you wish. Just tell me where you saw me! Have a great week ya'll !
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Belinda, When I started my diet I had this goal of having 25 pound weight losses. I would have 3 of them. I soon found out that waiting for my first 25 pounds was to discouraging and 10 pounds was more do-able. Now I would like a 1 pound!!!!

I haven't had anymore dizzy episodes like I had this morning in church. Maybe God was just wanting me to sit and pray:laugh:

I went to Kohl's tonight for more bras. I can't remember when I got the ones I am wearing now but I had been wearing 40 D and I went down to 38 D. If felt so good. But these are getting loose on me, when I first got them I had them just on the first clasp and now they are on the 3rd and loose so I figured it was time for a different size. I also know that the cup size has decreased. So I tried a 38C. Well I had to do a lot of adjusting, pulling and pushing of the flat ladies to get them in and there was to much of whatever you women want to call this excess skin that I have now accumulated outside the bra since I have lost my weight. It's kind of like an extra belly roll but it's right under the arm pit. Anyway, 38C was not working. But I was still putting the clasp on the 3rd hook. So I thought maybe a 38D would work. No way Jose. I couldn't even get that around me. So I just bought some more 38D figured that the other ones were just to stretched out. But they were on sale and I had an extra 15% off coupon so I got quite a bit off.

JOyce, Indiana