Co-worker looks anorexic. Help with ideas please.

Options

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you can't do anything about her anorexia....IF she even has it. Only SHE can help herself when and if she wants the help.

There is a difference between being a caring friend and being a codependent who tries to solve everyone's problems for them. Focus on yourself and just be there for her if she ever wants your help.
  • pepperspage1
    Options
    People would often accuse me of being anorexic, even my own doctor because I was not in the recommended goal range. I ate everything in site and still love to eat. I love sports and being active, all my vitals, medical, and mental capacities are normal, I need no medications, still get accused of being in my 20's (by my college classmates as well), and I have been told by my doctor I am in excellent health. The difference between me and my co-workers, is that I have a very petite frame for someone who is 5'6". So what appears to be anorexia by others and what is actually anorexia are two different things. My doctor assumed I was not eating, but I would put my brother under the table when it came to food and he said I was extremely healthy. Some of us have a higher metabolism than others even though our thyroid may be in the normal range. I am 47 now and I still get accused of being anorexic, because I am too thin in the eyes of others, but my weight is just right for me and when you look at my family, you would see that I am built just like the rest of them. So it is best to stay out of it. Anorexia is a psychological issue, where a person refuses to eat or reduces portions because they don't want to gain weight to the point that they need help and should be evaluated by a medical professional.
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would give her a huge box of ding dongs and a copy of Karen Carpenter's biography. Then elaborate on the idea that eating disorders are total BS and that she is not gaining weight because she doesn't want it enough. Then produce some kind of Dr. Oz type supplement and tell her it should help put "meat on her bones."

...or just let her be.

^^^^^ Love this!
  • 2014myyear
    Options
    It always blows me away how someone feels the need to tell someone who is thin that they are too thin and they need to put on weight but very few will tell a large person the opposite. Has she dropped a lot of weight in a short amount of time, is she chundering in the toilet? Is there any actual evidence other than what you perceive that she may be what you are implying? What does an anorexic person look like just out of curiosity? Plus advice given without request is not about the person receiving its about the person giving, so they can feel better about themselves, mind your own p's and q's! How would you feel if she told you to stay off the donuts!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do think that if you are close with someone and you notice them getting rapidly thinner and thinner, and emaciated, and you notice that they are depressed or manic, and they aren't eating or their eating habits suddenly change, it is of course ok to check in with them kindly if you are worried.

It's just that on mfp, most often we hear from very healthy people getting falsely accused of an ED or being too thin, and it is said in a very rude way (not helpful at all).
  • meatpuppet999
    meatpuppet999 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone needs to give the OP a break. I know personally how invasive it feels to be told I'm "too skinny" (for what? is what I'd like to know) I know how invasive it can feel ... but OP's heart is obviously in the right place and she's taking your knee-jerk responses like a saint so... relax.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If she asks you for input, tell her to eat whole foods, complex carbs to assist her in her excercises and that will easily put good weight on her (muscle weight)
    complex carbs - rice, Oatmeal
    Fats - almonds, pistashios, peanut butter
    Protein - chicken and turkey

otherwise, it isn't any of your business, no

Shes on her own image journey like we all are, focus on your own goals. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone needs to give the OP a break. I know personally how invasive it feels to be told I'm "too skinny" (for what? is what I'd like to know) I know how invasive it can feel ... but OP's heart is obviously in the right place and she's taking your knee-jerk responses like a saint so... relax.

I kinda wanted to throw poo at the OP when I first read her post, but she did handle it well. OP, you may want to report your thread and get it removed, because these things have a way of slowly, but inevitably, spinning out of control.
  • 2014myyear
    Options
    True... I apologize... just out of curiosity have your other co-workers mentioned anything?
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    OP, you have handled a lot of rudeness with a lot of grace, so good on you.

To the people who say things like "STFU" and "shove it up your *kitten*" when people ask questions, ya'll need to check yourselves before you give advice. The amusing thing is, you were trying to tell the OP not to be rude!
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MrM27, it was randomtai who made the charming comment about shoving things up *kitten*, not cip1. That's why she put it in quotation marks.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    OP, you have handled a lot of rudeness with a lot of grace, so good on you.

To the people who say things like "STFU" and "shove it up your *kitten*" when people ask questions, ya'll need to check yourselves before you give advice. The amusing thing is, you were trying to tell the OP not to be rude!

I don't think STFU is necessarily rude.... in this context (you ask for advice about a situation in the office) and someone says "I think in situations like this it's best to STFU" I would not take it as rude, more as a way of saying "if you say something it's going to end very very badly badly indeed, so really for your own sake just don't say anything at all, don't even come close to this subject." but just phrased in a more amusing way, and to emphasise the point that it's a ****really***** bad idea to say anything in that situation. In some contexts STFU is rude, like if you're talking or just posted something and the STFU is said directly to you, then it's rude. (unless it's someone you know and it's just banter)

Anyway, it's really hard to gauge someone's tone of voice on the internet... people can write something that's intended to emphasise that something's a really bad idea, or that the OP has read something into a situation that's not there and rethink their whole attitude/approach to the situation...... and it can be very easily read as rude.

I didn't read all the comments on this thread, so I'm not saying that none of the responses were rude and "shove it up your *kitten*" usually is rude unless you already know that person and it's banter, but I can't think of a context where that wouldn't be rude when talking to someone you don't know. But that doesn't mean all the comments that came across as rude were intended that way. Sometimes it's actually really difficult to say "you've made an unfair assumption about someone and if you try to advise them based on that assumption you're going to have a really bad case of foot in mouth disease" without it coming across as rude to some people.... I know they say you should be careful how you say things.... but really that's a lot harder than it sounds in certain situations.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl that looked extremely thin/anorexic but it was because she couldn't gain weight due to a rare digestive problem called MALS (median arcuate ligament syndrome). I saw the girl down massive chunks of chocolate in front of me so I knew she wasn't having disordered eating but the poor thing was sick all the time until she finally had surgery for it. It was also a very sensitive subject for her since she was always told she was too thin. So it's best to stay away from that.You never know OP. Some people just can't gain weight. If your coworker does have disordered eating someone around her probably already knows. Not saying she couldn't hide it but most likely the friends or family know. If that is truly the case.
  • jetobukur
    jetobukur Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am not upset by any comments. This is the internet after all. Please don't fight each other.

I think we are all done with this thread. Have a good night and sweet dreams!
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been technically overweight for years and had full-blown bulimia for the entirety of it. You can never tell what's going on inside of someone purely from the outside. This is probably a situation best left at peace. Regardless, it's really lovely to know that there is someone out there who is concerned for another person and they have no selfish intentions. I could have used a friend like you a year ago!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am not upset by any comments. This is the internet after all. Please don't fight each other.

I think we are all done with this thread. Have a good night and sweet dreams!

:drinker: and good morning from me from the other side of the world :smile:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Leave it be, my younger sister is 34 and the woman doesn't gain an ounce. She is 5'7" and rail thin...size 0-2. She has no body issues except she would like bigger boobs and to fill out some...(she jokes I got her share of the boobs). She is a healthy eater because it is what she likes. Not everybody model thin has an eating disorder or medical condition.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    MrM27, it was randomtai who made the charming comment about shoving things up *kitten*, not cip1. That's why she put it in quotation marks.

:yawn:

Deal_with_it.gif
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    My favorite thing is when women who are overweight or obese warn me to not to lose any more weight, because, clearly, a 5'11" male who weighs 155-165 is far too thin to be a true American.