j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Calories to control weight
    macros for body composition
    micros for health
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of people who don't so define try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. It's more an issue of whether eating an occasional cupcake or yogurt (processed, you know) is cheating or whether you see it as an acceptable part of an overall healthy diet. For me, the latter, for clean eaters, no, elimination is the goal. Or at least that's the only difference anyone has been able to explain that makes any sense.

I think if we all stopped labelling ourselves there wouldn't so many silly debates. Plus labels are for jars not people.

If I am out and want a cupcake I will eat one, or a little chocolate, or even ordering a pizza!

I personally want my main diet to be foods that are whole and simple.

Agree about the labels.

Also agree (as a personal matter) as to how I mostly like to eat, although I'd add that it's not inherently better or the only way to care about health.

Don't agree about lots of small meals--I'm a 3 meals a day person--but definitely think that's about doing what works best for you. ;-)
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lots of people who don't so define try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. It's more an issue of whether eating an occasional cupcake or yogurt (processed, you know) is cheating or whether you see it as an acceptable part of an overall healthy diet. For me, the latter, for clean eaters, no, elimination is the goal. Or at least that's the only difference anyone has been able to explain that makes any sense.

I think if we all stopped labelling ourselves there wouldn't so many silly debates. Plus labels are for jars not people.

If I am out and want a cupcake I will eat one, or a little chocolate, or even ordering a pizza!

I personally want my main diet to be foods that are whole and simple.

Agree about the labels.

Also agree (as a personal matter) as to how I mostly like to eat, although I'd add that it's not inherently better or the only way to care about health.

Don't agree about lots of small meals--I'm a 3 meals a day person--but definitely think that's about doing what works best for you. ;-)

I do 6 small meals for a couple of reasons

I did this in hospital when I was in recovery for bulimia (it helps me to stop binges and purges)
    I have hypoglycaemia so this helps me to manage this.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie whether it comes from carrots or cookies, or protein or carbs. I know I am not what anyone would refer to as a clean eater. I like it all, and I eat it.

I was raised on a balanced diet of meat, potatoes and vegetables. My mother still insists on having a little salad with every dinner. So I grew up that way, and now if I cook dinner, there will be a salad or vegetable included.

I am successful with portion control, and I still eat fast food, and a lot of Healthy Choice dinners, and I like oranges, and low fat yogurt for snacks. When I get hungry a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter is the cure. The only thing I have eliminated is the word "diet" from my vocabulary.

I turned 2 slices of bread into one, and a piece of cake is now a sliver. I like salads so that's what I order at restaurants. I don't eat a lot of sugar, I have always consumed diet drinks, and use Splenda for coffee, etc.

I am certain it's not the ultimate in clean, healthy eating but it works for me.
  • ronitperman
    Options
    Clean eating is good if it work for you. But a Proper diet and regular exercise gives very good results.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Lol, clean eating is a proper diet!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    For people who want to "eat clean", I'm sure it's very important.

For people who don't, I'm not sure its important at all.

Hope that answers your question.

This pretty much sums it up.
  • Badger618
    Badger618 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    To each their own, who really gives a flying ****? If somebody wants to eat a glass sandwich that is his or her own choice. We should be here to motivate and help each other not bash one another.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

You are mistaken.
    http://www.idf.org/latest-diabetes-figures-paint-grim-global-picture

India is the country with the most people with diabetes, with a current figure of 50.8 million, followed by China with 43.2 million. Behind them the United States (26.8 million); the Russian Federation (9.6 million); Brazil (7.6 million); Germany (7.5 million); Pakistan (7.1 million); Japan (7.1 million); Indonesia (7 million) and Mexico (6.8 million).

When it comes to the percentage of adult population living with diabetes, the new data reveal the devastating impact of diabetes across the Gulf Region, where five of the Gulf States are among the top ten countries affected. The Pacific island nation of Nauru has the world’s highest rate of diabetes, with almost a third of its adult population (30.9%) living with the disease. It is followed by the United Arab Emirates (18.7%); Saudi Arabia (16.8%); Mauritius (16.2%); Bahrain (15.4%); Reunion (15.3%); Kuwait (14.6%); Oman (13.4%); Tonga (13.4%) and Malaysia (11.6%).
    those are raw numbers not percentages, india and china having the 2 largest populations in the world that puts them more in the middle of the list by percentage (around 3-4% each)

but thats surprising that america is number 74 in the world by percentage, i wouldve expected them to be much higher considering the overweight population percentage

That's because obesity is only part of the reason a person can develop diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight. Direct quote: See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/?loc=db-slabnav#sthash.DrI6yhOH.dpuf

Also, to the dude who said "eating refined sugar causes insulin resistance" - please visit the link above and actually read up on your claim (which, incidentally, is listed in their myth section).

There is no one determining factor in diabetes. It could be your race, plus your stress level, plus your love of fruit punch. It could be your grandfather, plus your weight, plus your activity level.

There is no one cause. It's is a cumulative series of genetic factors, choices and lifestyle.

I'm currently being treated for pre-insulin resistance. I'm on metformin because my doctor wants to get ahead of the issues before they turn into something more serious.

facts.gif
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    Options
    Calories to control weight
    macros for body composition
    micros for health
    This in a nutshell lol.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    lol some of these responses are great
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most Americans need a course on nutrition.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately most Americans need a course on nutrition.

Not just America mate ... :-(
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've always thought this too. I did a "clean eating" diet and ate way more calories than usual, and obviously lost weight slower than I would on my usual diet of eating what I choose but counting each calorie.

I generally eat a lot of healthy foods like fruit and veggies for good health, skin, hair, energy levels, mood, etc anyways. But I do also allow myself unhealthy things that are low calorie into my calorie allowance for the day because I still lose weight this way.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My weight loss plan:

Eat all things in moderation
    Eat smaller portions
    Get off my backside and move

FINIS
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

How important is it to eat "clean"?! Surely eating a low fat sandwich of say 300 calories is better than eating a "clean" meal of double that?! Does it really matter WHAT you eat? I'm not saying i want to eat complete junk...I don't. But sometimes i eat on the go and i just grab the healthiest option which may not be considered "clean" but is lower in calories than a cleaner option...

Thanks! xxx

Go read nutrition articles before posting again, please.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If anyone can actually define what it means to eat clean then we can decide if it is necessary...

I prefer to get the bulk of my calories from mostly whole, minimally processed, nutrient dense foods. Once I meet my needs, I round out the rest of my calories with whatever I fancy. Usually pizza, beer and ice cream :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If anyone can actually define what it means to eat clean then we can decide if it is necessary...

I prefer to get the bulk of my calories from mostly whole, minimally processed, nutrient dense foods. Once I meet my needs, I round out the rest of my calories with whatever I fancy. Usually pizza, beer and ice cream :)

Quantify minimally processed and nutrient dense.

How do you determine your needs which change day by day?

I determine my needs by weekly averages based on my weight and bofyfat that I monitor and make adjustments accordingly. In other words, I make the best guess I can...

Minimally processed? I do the best I can without stressing myself out...

I try for variety to do the best I can to getting everything I need... and as above, I don't stress myself out about it...