What do you do when racks aren't available?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Cross fitters need to stay in the cross fit area. #justsayin

I don't Crossfit. I powerlift. There is a giant difference. It's like calling a hopscotcher a marathon runner.

I do both. No need to be a-hole just because you aren't good at cardio.

I'm awesome at cardio. Wtf are you talking about?

I wasn't even responding to you I was responding to the ahole that said Crossfitters stay in the Crossfit section. I don't Crossfit. I asked about OHP and squats. That's it. Never mentioned Crossfit.

lol it was a joke. People be so serious about crossfit.

tumblr_lymrkiuu9d1qbfgm3o1_500.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

If you can't clean your OHP, you're doing it wrong.

not for nothing- but pound for pound- women have a significantly weaker OHP- across the board- I train my OHP and it's still right at or below 100 pounds.

for us it's significantly less of an issue.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

not for nothing- but pound for pound- women have a significantly weaker OHP- across the board- I train my OHP and it's still right at or below 100 pounds.

for us it's significantly less of an issue.

Holy smokes I am definitely impressed!!! I'm having the worst time progressing with this...but I'm going to keep going.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    I creep... i ask how many sets they have left... then set my stuff down and wait....
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Holy smokes I am definitely impressed!!! I'm having the worst time progressing with this...but I'm going to keep going.

it gets better- it's hard- make friends with the 2.5 pound plates!!! or bring in some big washers and some yarn or whatever and use those as fractional plates.

OHP is the first to stall- and unfortunately for women- it's always been our weakest lift

cry cry cry- I love being a woman- but seriously- sometimes it's not fair!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

it gets better- it's hard- make friends with the 2.5 pound plates!!! or bring in some big washers and some yarn or whatever and use those as fractional plates.

OHP is the first to stall- and unfortunately for women- it's always been our weakest lift

Yup this..I am just shy of 95lbs atm...93.5 I use 2.5lb plates, 1 3/4 lb weighted collars and a friend suggested industrial magnets too...washers, fractional plates anything just to get that number up.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Thanks for the tips!!!
    I'm doing SL5x5 and what I've also been trying to do is just do a few sets on my WkA days to just try to build up to it. Definitely getting better. Though I'm "elite" in my deadlift. HAHAHAH. (total joke incase anyone here didn't see that thread)
  • JoRocka
    Options

Thanks for the tips!!!
    I'm doing SL5x5 and what I've also been trying to do is just do a few sets on my WkA days to just try to build up to it. Definitely getting better. Though I'm "elite" in my deadlift. HAHAHAH. (total joke incase anyone here didn't see that thread)

Of course you are- you post on MFP- and you lift- so that already makes you elite- donchatknow
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Everyone misses the point. I DONT WANT TO CLEAN. I AM DOING OHP, NOT CLEANS.

Not everyone...I get what you are saying...
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Actually, I think everyone gets it. No one is saying to do a complete set of clean and press. But, if the rack is occupied and the option you are using now is to do cardio and go home, then cleaning it off the floor is a viable option for starting your OHP set. No need to get upset about it.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Working in isn't cool at my gym. People hem and haw and roll their eyes. It's a very unfriendly gym.

One time, I was alternating between bench press for volume and cable lat pull downs. I don't hog machines when I do that. I just hit whatever is available. The lat pull down was open until my last set. This girl sat on it and stared doing her workout. She finished her set, so I asked if I could work in because I have one more set. She rolls her eyes and tells me no. Then she say go do that, and points to a different machine. I laughed and said all she has to do is stand up and move over about a foot. I will disturb nothing, I'll adjust the weight for me, do the set, put it back. Why is it a drama? She caused a scene while she got up. It's just unbelievable. Another time I asked to work in for squats, this guy agreed, then he just started complaining about how little weight I was using and taking weight on and off is a pain.

So, I just don't ask anymore.

Wow. Now I REALLY stand by my previous post. I'd start gym shopping right away. Take advantage of places that offer 1 week trial memberships or something to judge the crowd at your typical time.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    We only have one power cage until the gym expands, and as membership is growing it's getting more and more difficult to get into the rack.

For squats, I'll hit the leg press first unless it's my heavy set day. If that's the case, I need all the leg power I can get to squat. I'll do some light cardio while I'm waiting or ask how many sets they have left.

For OHP, I do normally use the cage. Again, if it's anything but my heavy sets, I'll clean it from the ground to get going. Or, I'll use dumbbells.

Of course, sometimes I just stand there looking like a lost dummy until the equipment I need opens up.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My program is very strict, but I guess I'll have to loosen up. ................ But, if it's a wait, I get discouraged. I might decide to do some cardio and go home.

Those two attitudes sound like they're coming from two totally different people. I'm veyr strict - but if a piece of equipment isn't available I give up alltogether? I know you're asking for alternates and I'm "not helping" but my advice is to strongly consider switching gyms. I switched gyms and it has made a ton of difference in my workout. Being comfortable, working at your pace, and having ample equipment to work with is the only thing deserving of my time and money.

This.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

No one is missing the point.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, our gym has 5 of these and one normal squat rack. Usually there's at least one open. But, if I have to wait, I get on the treadmill and get ready to sprint to a rack when it opens up. I can also do OHPs here too and get in a full 5x5 routine on OHP days. By the time I've finished with my first exercise, squats, another rack or two have opened up, so I don't feel bad about using it for so long.

My issue is trying to get in a good workout when I'm traveling. In those cases, I'll make do with a Smith machine, goblet squats, C&P to OHP, whatever gets it done. It's not a permanent change to the routine, so I'm OK adapting for a day or two.

pow_9ft-half-rack.jpg