To all parents.....Should I give this lady a tip?

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I was a hairdresser (in another lifetime). The turnover of customers is high. The topics of convo are random. Believe me the manicurist won't even recall what was said now.

As for the drugs debate - she suggested she 'talk to her mom'. She didn't advocate she goes buy crack on a street corner. Some people would consider it a more 'natural' pain relief alternative. A drug is a drug regardless & medical grade if on prescription wouldn't be illegal. You're reading too much into it OP.

*Seriously if you worked in the sector you'd rather peel off your own skin than ask the 10,000th person "So where are you going on holiday this year?".
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    it's not like the manicurist gave the kid a dealer's number. for cryin' out loud ppl! she said talk to your doctor! do you think a 14 year old doesn't know what pot is? doesn't know that it's legal in two states for non-medical usage and 22 have legalized it for medical reasons?

if it'll help for the migraines, ask the doctor about getting her the non-THC varieties. migraines are a living hell. whatever works is a good thing.

as for the tip - i would double tip next time w/ an apology.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

First I would preheat the oven to 350 degrees, 375 for a dark no-stick pan. Combine the eggs, brownie mix, vegetable oil, and stir till well blended. Fold in the "special" ingredient. Spray the pan with a non-stick spray. Pour into pan and bake for about 35 minutes.

You should use a double boiler pot and heat the special ingrediant to 120F for 45 minutes first, then add it to the mixture after straining the green leaf matter.
    This \m/

Come on you guys, get real! Sautée the special ingredient in butter first,. :smile:
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's a choice for you and your family.

While in my opinion, medical marijuana has the same benefits as migraine medicines. Both are controlled substances and both require prescription from a doctor. Both have the potential of being abused. If the manicurist had recommended a prescription medicine there would be no issue.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    OP is grossly over reacting. Maybe do yourself and your daughter a favor and dip into some ganj yourself.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to discuss..... but not between a manicurist and her client, especially a young teenager. Given that medical marijuana is such a taboo topic, it is just not appropriate to discuss in the workplace...no matter how casual of a place it might be.

How is it taboo exactly? Its LEGAL.

Cigarettes must be taboo as well.
    its not illegal everywhere....

and medical marijuana is legal in many (most? not sure) countries
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The manicurist already gave your daughter the tip. Now try doing some real research on the subject instead of clutching your pearls.

Your daughter should have remembered to tip. Too late now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    (maybe a quick chat about the birds and the bees would be in order before the tattooed, pierced up druggie at the supermarket explains what condoms are) <<--- Sarcasm at it's highest, just in case anyone thought otherwise.

542.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

First I would preheat the oven to 350 degrees, 375 for a dark no-stick pan. Combine the eggs, brownie mix, vegetable oil, and stir till well blended. Fold in the "special" ingredient. Spray the pan with a non-stick spray. Pour into pan and bake for about 35 minutes.

You should use a double boiler pot and heat the special ingrediant to 120F for 45 minutes first, then add it to the mixture after straining the green leaf matter.
    This \m/

Come on you guys, get real! Sautée the special ingredient in butter first,. :smile:

tumblr_luk5eeOBmh1r5r5uqo1_500.gif
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You think for one second with all the news and information out there she is too young and naïve to know something about it?. And as a migraine sufferer myself when there is ANY form of relief from crippling pain I'd listen. The lady wasn't be malice at all. Medical marijuana is created in forms without THC you do not get "high" from it at all. If one sufferer can give another sufferer some insight to possible pain relief what's the big deal?. She's old enough to deal and understand the migraine pain she deals with, I would think you would be more focused on a possible way to relieve intense pain that we deal with but no your more worried about someone else informing her of an option for help.

^^This!^^

I suffer from Migraines as well. I also have used Medical Marijuana to combat them, it's not a regular thing, but it has helped.

I really don't see the big deal here. What I believe is happening is that the more MM becomes less taboo the more information we are going to find on the medical benefits from it because more studies are going to be conducted. I don't feel this lady was being malicious, just letting someone know what helped relieve her suffering. And anyone who suffers from Migraines knows how debilitating they can be.

Remember the story recently about a family with a little girl who had severe seizures and MM helped her greatly.... I think we are going to see more of these stories as time goes on.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee that this is not the first time that your daughter has heard about marijuana :laugh: As for the tip, I see it as a separate issue. If you are driving by that place anyway, then you could just drop it off. As for complaining to the boss, that's just silly. It's not like the manicurist was telling her where to buy it or offered to sell it on the sly. It was just a "well, if you are already on xx meds (which probably have side effects), maybe you could look into medical marijuana instead". She was not trying to get your daughter hooked on meth or something. Just mentioning alternative treatments for migraines that she found helpful.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

This \m/

Sauteeing isnt a good option because you need time for the THC to volatize (@120F) and dont want to burn the butter.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    She's 14...you should home school her if you don't want her trying weed, also it has helped a lot of people with many ailments and it's legal. You would just come off as the uptight crazy person if you went back...
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

This \m/

No way, combine with butter in the crockpot and keep it on low for 8+ hours.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to discuss..... but not between a manicurist and her client, especially a young teenager. Given that medical marijuana is such a taboo topic, it is just not appropriate to discuss in the workplace...no matter how casual of a place it might be.

How is it taboo exactly? Its LEGAL.

Cigarettes must be taboo as well.

Taboo doesn' t mean illegal. I'm not giving my opinion on it, just stating a fact. The same way talking about anything that divides a culture is taboo. Pot is a topic that divides people, as well as things like gay marriage, other drugs, smoking, etc etc.

Most companies would probably prefer to keep such talk out of their workplaces and keep the focus on work (unless the company is actually ABOUT those things).

I know taboo does not mean illegal, however to say medical marijuana, and gay marriage are Taboo subjects in a workplace or otherwise is a bit close minded. So if your coworker is gay and wants to talk about his wedding plans he shouldnt because it is "taboo" or if your coworker has a brain tumor and eats medical marijuana brownies for relief she shouldnt suggest anyone else do the same because it is taboo. I don't think that word means what you think it means...last i checked discussion about those two subjects in general is not prohibited anywhere.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why do I suspect that those demonstrating the highest level of righteous indignation were the biggest potheads in high school? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    What would you do?

This \m/

Sauteeing isnt a good option because you need time for the THC to volatize (@120F) and dont want to burn the butter.
    that and you could end up vapourizing most of the thc out of the blend. boiling over water is the best option
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I think in today's day and age with pot being legalized left and right this lady sincerely just thought that she was giving her advice. It's not like she handed your daughter a joint and said "shhhh don't tell your mom" If you are really concerned about the conversation she had with your child as well as your daughter not tipping her, take the opportunity to drive the manicurist the tip money and tell her that you didn't appreciate her suggesting pot to your child.

ETA: That honestly I don't think it is really a big deal. And it sounds like you have a good kid on your hands if she was open and honest with you about the conversation to begin with.