One day of fasting in addition to cheat day

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Why skewed? Eating organic/grass fed meat and vegetables isn't clean? Please reply if you have insight or experience, not negativity.

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.

Understandable. However, that doesn't necessarily make foods that are within your calorie limit nutritionally dense. Eating food that comes from a reliable source is going to give you better results verses eating 1200 calories of fast/processed foods.

I'm asking for personal experiences, not criticism on a question. It's not really that difficult.

Those who follow the IIFYM approach don't just eat whatever food they want as long as they stay within a calorie goal. There are daily macronutrient goals, fiber goals, micronutrient goals, and it can argued that it's healthier than just "eating clean" because you're hitting all your goals with accuracy instead of just eating foods labeled as clean and assuming that it's healthy for you.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.

... except that the added sodium, corn syrup and preservatives in processed foods ****s with both your digestion and your appetite like none other. Have you actually tried cutting that stuff out of your diet? At least for me, just a week or two without it makes a huge difference.

For some people who are sensitive to that, sure it may have that effect. If it makes you feel better, then do it. But that's not everybody and actually not most people. I've done just about everything, restricted everything, and then some - high fat - low fat - low carb - high carb - low sodium - high sodium - fast - binge - repeat for a long time. I've found that it was all useless. Cals in - cals out.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat every day and not participate in "fasts", especially 24 hour ones.
    i eat every day. have at least one good meal every day while doing 24 hr fasts 3 x week
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    feedfeedfoodfood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eating food that comes from a reliable source is going to give you better results verses eating 1200 calories of fast/processed foods.

I'm asking for personal experiences, not criticism on a question. It's not really that difficult.

How I feel eating those may be different but the end result is the same - unless processed foods make you feel sluggish and then you overeat because you felt sluggish and then gain weight/fail to lose. But still, it wasn't the processed foods that caused the weight gain - it was the overeating that did it.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    Haha thanks for answering honestly! I've posted three times on this site and was bound to get *kitten* at some point.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

Hit cals, eat enough protein and fats and plenty of fruit and veg.

Live long and prosper. (and get shredded :laugh:)

And to answer OP:

I have done 24hr fasts before. Eat Stop Eat style as you mention. I didn't track cals (this was an experiment) on eating days. I maintained weight. (as I ate too much on eating days)

I have never had the "cheat" day concept as I do flexible dieting. If I have a high day, I make up for it with lower days and hit a weekly average target.

That's really interesting. So do you calculate calories weekly vs. Daily?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

And to answer OP:

I have done 24hr fasts before. Eat Stop Eat style as you mention. I didn't track cals (this was an experiment) on eating days. I maintained weight. (as I ate too much on eating days)

I have never had the "cheat" day concept as I do flexible dieting. If I have a high day, I make up for it with lower days and hit a weekly average target.

As long as you hit your weekly calorie goal, you can play around with the calorie distribution per day. Some people prefer to have high days on the weekends which they make up for by having lower days during the week. You'll get the exact same results as long as your weekly intake is the same.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

And to answer OP:

Pretty much. My current goal is 2500. So I try and stay relatively close to that (so I don't feel like I'm starving on low days) but I might be more hungry one day and have 2700 say. Next day 2300. All good :smile:

I typically fast until lunch time as for me it makes hitting my daily targets much easier and I sleep better with a stomach full. (of carbs).

I don't believe there is any magic fat loss benefits of fasting, it just fits well for me.

Hope that helps :happy:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat every day and not participate in "fasts", especially 24 hour ones.
    i eat every day. have at least one good meal every day while doing 24 hr fasts 3 x week

And that's good for you.
    I still prefer not to starve myself for 24 hours for a fast.
  • AJ_G
    Options

And that's good for you.
    I still prefer not to starve myself for 24 hours for a fast.

And that's good for you...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a 24hr fast provided you eat enough on the other days.

A lot of people who try it don't though.

ADF is very extreme basically and not required for most.

Also, wouldn't recommend fasting for people who have ED tendencies.

Recently, my Dad who is a type 2 diabetic started ADF (despite being at a healthy weight). His main reason was for increased insulin sensitivity not weight loss. He did lose weight despite eating a large amount on eating days so switched to only fasting once a week. Yep, N=1 experiment :smile:
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

And to answer OP:

Pretty much. My current goal is 2500. So I try and stay relatively close to that (so I don't feel like I'm starving on low days) but I might be more hungry one day and have 2700 say. Next day 2300. All good :smile:

I typically fast until lunch time as for me it makes hitting my daily targets much easier and I sleep better with a stomach full. (of carbs).

I don't believe there is any magic fat loss benefits of fasting, it just fits well for me.

Hope that helps :happy:

Indeed. Thanks a bunch!
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

And to answer OP:

As long as you hit your weekly calorie goal, you can play around with the calorie distribution per day. Some people prefer to have high days on the weekends which they make up for by having lower days during the week. You'll get the exact same results as long as your weekly intake is the same.

Thanks!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Fasting to combat a cheat day sounds like a vicious cycle and mental approach to weight loss than is unnecessary and for some people can lead to issues.

Agree. I don't think it's a good idea.
  • littleprim
    littleprim Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it worked for me to lose weight, and i know others who it worked for.the only thing to look out for is how it effects you psychologically! i ended up with an eating disorder for years.during recovery i gained it all back and am now back to square one :P
    so i'd say like, try it but let loved ones know and set boundaries so if you start to take it too far someone will hold you accountable, and make sure to just watch how you're doing emotionally/psychologically.i just take everything too far and the weight loss and control was sooo addictive.it went from fasting from a meal to fasting for a day to fasting for days and days and then binging and purging once a week while starving the other 6 days.i didn't start out ever considering doing something like that at all! it kinda creeps up on you so yeah just set boundaries for yourself so if you cross them it's a red flag and you can step back and check yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a 24hr fast provided you eat enough on the other days.

A lot of people who try it don't though.

this!

there are a lot of people who do 5:2 on here with a calorie goal of 1200 on the feast days... so wrong!
  • cracklinrosi
    Options
    I personally don't believe in fasting - you're sending a message to your brain that food is scarce and that starts a whole chain reaction of keeping fat instead of burning it. For me, fasting is what you do before surgery, not as part of a healthy lifestyle. Fasting for religious reasons? Another topic altogether.

It works for some, but not for most. Reading your eat/no eat/eat/over eat schedule, I don't think it's a good idea. But that's just my opinion. I think keeping your body on an even keel is the best practice. Cheat days? I don't call them that. Those are days when, for whatever reason, you don't stick to your plan and you splurge. It may be dinner out with friends, a holiday, or just a really hectic day.

Good luck with your weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals. :-)
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I have fasted for religious/spiritual reasons and it stinks - can't imagine doing it on a regular basis. Can you explain what you think the benefit of fasting is as opposed to eating every day at a calorie deficit?
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Lol, "clean diet". Your views on nutrition are pretty skewed...

QFT.