A question for the Ladies

Options

Replies

• katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel that I'm a bit of an exception- I do crave junk foods (typically sour candies and ketchup chips over chocolate) but I tend to lose weight during my TOM like some of the other ladies on here.
    In the past it was because the pain was so intense that I would be physically sick and nauseated but since I've lost quite a bit of weight, the symtpoms are less intense but the weight loss patterns seemed to have continued despite not feeling as nauseaous.
    But I also gained weight when stopping BC and lost when I went back on it so I feel like the norms of lady health don't really apply to me :P

HOWEVER, I do find that sometimes I make that time an excuse to not work out because I feel so weak that I feel the need to stop a lot more frequently and I only go at about 70% of my usual intensity. Could be the overall "sick-ish" feeling I get or a lack of calories but I do try to incorporate some walking or low impact cardio because it does help with the cramps.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My periods are irregular (always have been, even at different weight levels, so I don't think it's a BF% thing, I think it's just genetic, as my sister is also irregular).

The day before my first half-marathon, I started my period. I figured this out when going on a short trail run (to get used to the trail, since I started training in the winter, on a treadmill), and I was suddenly just doubled over in pain (I get cramps so horrible people have tried to take me to the ER for them).

So, I ran 13 miles on my period the next day, with cramps so bad I thought I was going to puke. (If my periods were predictable, I would never have chosen to run a race on that day! Stupid "surprise" periods, WTF?!)

I ran that race faster than all of my previous practice runs, and shaved 18+ minutes off my goal finish time. When I turned the final corner and saw the finish line, with the giant clock, I though, "No way, that CAN'T be right..." I didn't tell any of my friends my finish time until I saw it officially uploaded to the site, and even then, I stared at it, and thought, "There's no way I did that!"

I have now decided that a period is a stupid excuse to skip a workout or not try as hard or eat chocolate all day. (Though I did take a long, hot, steamy bubble bath after the race and just sat there until the water turned cold LOL).

I used to always slack off the first two days of my period. I'm done with that. I have no valid excuse anymore. I think we tell ourselves and believe the lie that we just aren't going to do as well if we're on our period. And then our bodies follow suit since we've already made up our mind that we are somehow impaired because of it. I just can't buy into that anymore! My legs were all, "Shut up, we trained for this, we're going to do this, and your uterus can suck it! Let's go!"
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I stay on track, if I didn't I would struggle to get back to where I was. I can't remember the last time I went over.
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of anything I'm craving, but I try and stay under my calorie limit. If I am craving chocolate, I will have a piece of chocolate. Not an entire chocolate bar or a giant slice of cake, but just enough to take the edge off the craving. Most cravings can be satisfied once you get a taste of something. You don't have to eat a ton of chocolate to satisfy that craving - or chips, or anything else.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Nah. I use to do that, and I never got anywhere lol. It happens every month. You're either going to have to get it under control, or let it set you back every time.

I hate that it makes me crave so much freaking food, and I NEVER get full during TOM. But it's just like any other annoyance of life. Gotta deal with it and move on lol

Agreed! Stay under your calorie limit but don't deprive yourself too much. I don't know when that TOM would be for me because I have the Nexplanon (BC implant in my arm) and I don't get my periods.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to let anything stand in the way, however I crave chocolate during that time. I continue to workout. I can't lie to you, I do slack of(normally the first day) and I limit myself to my comfort foods. Most of the time I stay within my calories.

This is how I am that first day is what kills me, I'm allowed 1200 calories and on the first day I tend to go closer to 1300. I am under my limit majority of the time. My TOM only lasts 5 days max and I usually work out at least 3 of those days. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has to think about all of this.

I don't get cravings during my period. I get them during PMS (a week or so before it begins). Turns out your desire to eat more food during your cycle stems from thermogenesis that occurs during PMS when your body actually needs a bit more energy. By the time my period rolls around, though, I'm not in craving mode at all.
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Although I am brand new to MFP, I have always had a way to combat with cravings. My secret is peanut butter. I make my own home made, and eat a tablespoon whenever I get serious cravings.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    No, I don't tell myself to indulge just because of TOM. However, if I'm extra hungry that week and eat a little more than I should, I just don't beat myself up and move on.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    So so so so so so thankful I'm a dude... It can sometimes be hard enough to stay on track let alone have to deal with that hassle.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Although I am brand new to MFP, I have always had a way to combat with cravings. My secret is peanut butter. I make my own home made, and eat a tablespoon whenever I get serious cravings.

- I know I'm not a sexy lady like you all.... just sexxy :wink:

anywayz.. my recommendation for stopping cravings is a sauteed mushroom and peeling and eating a cucumber raw - this for me will stop carb cravings immediately.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I honestly typically get really, really hungry for maybe 2 days. I've read that your body can burn around 100 extra calories in the few days around this, so I try to keep it at my goal, but occassionally I go over (but still under maintenance). I try not to go for the sweets, or if I do, I go for a mini dark chocolate bar or something small. Typically I just need FOOD, so I go for proteins
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My periods are irregular (always have been, even at different weight levels, so I don't think it's a BF% thing, I think it's just genetic, as my sister is also irregular).

The day before my first half-marathon, I started my period. I figured this out when going on a short trail run (to get used to the trail, since I started training in the winter, on a treadmill), and I was suddenly just doubled over in pain (I get cramps so horrible people have tried to take me to the ER for them).

So, I ran 13 miles on my period the next day, with cramps so bad I thought I was going to puke. (If my periods were predictable, I would never have chosen to run a race on that day! Stupid "surprise" periods, WTF?!)

I ran that race faster than all of my previous practice runs, and shaved 18+ minutes off my goal finish time. When I turned the final corner and saw the finish line, with the giant clock, I though, "No way, that CAN'T be right..." I didn't tell any of my friends my finish time until I saw it officially uploaded to the site, and even then, I stared at it, and thought, "There's no way I did that!"

I have now decided that a period is a stupid excuse to skip a workout or not try as hard or eat chocolate all day. (Though I did take a long, hot, steamy bubble bath after the race and just sat there until the water turned cold LOL).

I used to always slack off the first two days of my period. I'm done with that. I have no valid excuse anymore. I think we tell ourselves and believe the lie that we just aren't going to do as well if we're on our period. And then our bodies follow suit since we've already made up our mind that we are somehow impaired because of it. I just can't buy into that anymore! My legs were all, "Shut up, we trained for this, we're going to do this, and your uterus can suck it! Let's go!"

I love your whole post and the bolded part made me laugh outloud (and then have to explain to my hubby "what's so funny?") :laugh:
  • britt7797
    britt7797 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    POPSICLE! They have been my saving grace because I have this weird thing with Ice cream... I feel like its a treat you should be able to have daily :P But with 200-400 calories for a half cup (I mean who REALLY measures ice cream) I have found creamsicles, fudge bars, and other popsicles are super low cal AND portion controlled! also if your a fan of pickles some have zero calories. popcorn is also relatively low cal. That is my big ones for curbing my saltly and sweet cravings when almonds and apples just arent cutting it! Hope this helped!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I don't use anything as an excuse to reach my goals. Women have been having periods for centuries. Make room for your cravings and you won't go over.

Or go over on the calories and deal with it.

I don't make excuses, I make decisions. If I make the decision to cater to my cravings, I do. I also accept the consequences of that decision.

+1 to both these gals. Also, maybe I am in the minority here, but its just a period y'all. It's not like someone shot you in the head. After the initial shock at age 13 of having to learn where a tampon goes, how are we all not used to it by now?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use my curse as a way to reset my metabolism. I prefer to keep my calories set at maintenance and eat at a 500 calorie deficit every day (It looks nicer seeing "500 calories left over" than "0 calories left over" and allows me to not panic if I have to go over and treat a hypo). On weekends and my curse, I allow myself to eat at my maintenance calories or very slightly above so that my weekly net caloric difference is between 0-3500 calories.

I noticed that looking at it from a weekly perspective has helped me to not feel guilty on days where I need to eat more. Allowing myself to eat at maintenance the first few days of my curse helps to keep me sane. I have also noticed that, even when I allow extra calories, I typically lose weight (ontop of weight lost from extra water retention) right after my curse, and weight loss is a bit easier for the following week.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to let anything stand in the way, however I crave chocolate during that time. I continue to workout. I can't lie to you, I do slack of(normally the first day) and I limit myself to my comfort foods. Most of the time I stay within my calories.

This is how I am that first day is what kills me, I'm allowed 1200 calories and on the first day I tend to go closer to 1300. I am under my limit majority of the time. My TOM only lasts 5 days max and I usually work out at least 3 of those days. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has to think about all of this.

So...you are worried about an extra hundred calories when you are probably nowhere near your TDEE anyway and eat less than the 1200 calories most of the time? Trust me, you could probably eat an extra 600 calories the first day and not see any real set back, especially if you are not eating back any exercise calories to start with (just kind of a blanket assumption when people claim to be eating the "allowed" 1200 calories). You shouldn't see any part of losing weight as torture. Plan for the increase in calories and be lenient on yourself the first few days. If you want some chocolate, by all means, eat the chocolate, just try to keep it in moderation and relax.
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Nooo, for me no excuses - it is so hard to get back up again if you let go - easier to push through and stay on track:flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    In my case, that TOTM meant so much pain and so much bleeding that I usually didn't want to eat at all. I never had any cravings or mood swings, just pain.
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything as an excuse to reach my goals. Women have been having periods for centuries. Make room for your cravings and you won't go over.

Or go over on the calories and deal with it.

I don't make excuses, I make decisions. If I make the decision to cater to my cravings, I do. I also accept the consequences of that decision.