Should I be offended? (Pt 2)

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I mean, he shouldn't have made that rude racist comment and then fart, if he didn't want us all talking about it on the internet. nomsayin :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Haha Jeff is clearly batsh!t crazy.
    And I stand by my advice to you in the first thread:
    Queef in his office, then bring him a croissant the next day.

Fight crazy with crazy.

Can't. stop. laughing. I second the queefing.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh.my.goodness.. He went in for a hug?! I literally just Lol'd :laugh:

Good luck with that guy.. Looking forward to the future stories from your office. :)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I read this thread first. I went back and read the original thread to see if I was missing something, because to me, it's not social etiquette to confront someone about a single farting episode (or if you're going to, do it right then. Run after him and ask if he is ok or something.) I will act very casually when someone farts around me and watch as they scan my face to see if I heard it. Now, since it was a long fart and impossible to have missed, I probably just would have asked if he was ok or feeling sick.

I think I would have responded in the same way as Jeff. Or I would have wanted to but probably would have been beet red and stammered out an apology.

He sounds embarrassed. Possibly weird. But I think it's weird to police someone about one fart, too. I can't imagine having that conversation.

What does seem like some cause for concern is him trying to hug you despite not knowing you and him making comments about you being a minority. It's hard to say not witnessing the conversation and how the comment was made. Hugging was inappropriate, unless you happen to work at a very huggy place, which I doubt you do from the description. But again, I think that could have been another lack of social skills in an awkward and uncomfortable moment.
    PS: I didn't think this thread should pass without this honorable mention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gas_We_Pass

Jeff.... is that you??? It's OK, this is a 'safe' place... go ahead... tell you're side of the story.

****Edited to state (it's not that safe), assuming you are Jeff, because who the hell else would think this was appropriate behavior? .... you don't think it's "social etiquette to confront one single farting episode" ???? Firstly... glad I don't work with or know you, or breathe your air... Just so we're all clear, Ummmm it's NOT social etiquette to FART IN FRONT OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING AND STINK UP THEIR LIVING SPACE..... EVER... LIKE NOT EVER!.... and if it squeezes out for whatever reason, medical, bad drinking binge, too many burgers at lunch, or otherwise, you certainly don't stare down the poor victim and leave without an apology, a joke, a SOMETHING----ANYTHING, that doesn't suggest that you're a freaking serial killer.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Jeff.... is that you??? It's OK, this is a 'safe' place... go ahead... tell you're side of the story.

****Edited to state (it's not that safe), assuming you are Jeff, because who the hell else would think this was appropriate behavior? .... you don't think it's "social etiquette to confront one single farting episode" ???? Firstly... glad I don't work with or know you, or breathe your air... Just so we're all clear, Ummmm it's NOT social etiquette to FART IN FRONT OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING AND STINK UP THEIR LIVING SPACE..... EVER... LIKE NOT EVER!.... and if it squeezes out for whatever reason, medical, bad drinking binge, too many burgers at lunch, or otherwise, you certainly don't stare down the poor victim and leave without an apology, a joke, a SOMETHING----ANYTHING, that doesn't suggest that you're a freaking serial killer.

I'm actually quite private about my body functions, so if we cross air space, you're fine. If she wanted to confront him, she should have done it on the spot. Waiting a day and confronting him while supposedly going to thank him for a donut makes her look kind of weird too. See the story in the first thread, where when a lady told her side of her accidental farting story, not a single person accused her of being a serial killer. (Of course it's not social etiquette to pass intentional gas. By him giving her a gift and then denying it happened, I'm not so convinced that it was intentional.)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    farting in someones office now makes you a serial killer

cant wait till they add that to the profile on the next criminal minds
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'm actually quite private about my body functions, so if we cross air space, you're fine. If she wanted to confront him, she should have done it on the spot. Waiting a day and confronting him while supposedly going to thank him for a donut makes her look kind of weird too. See the story in the first thread, where when a lady told her side of her accidental farting story, not a single person accused her of being a serial killer. (Of course it's not social etiquette to pass intentional gas. By him giving her a gift and then denying it happened, I'm not so convinced that it was intentional.)

Yeah, I really don't think it was intentional either. I think he was terribly embarassed. I think he had hoped the doughnut would be an accepatable apology, and by forcing him to openly discuss it, when he obviously didn't want to, she came off kinda *****y.

But you know, she asserted her dominance so I'm sure he will steer clear of the crazy serial killer chick that stalked him down to demand a public apology for something that occurred privately between them.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    "Nothing. Don't tell me how to fart."

I'm sorry.

This cracked me up.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OK, if someone did this to me, I would say, at the moment of the offense, "You know, normal people say 'excuse me' when this happens." Wait for him to say it. He doesn't? "EXCUSE YOU, JEFF. Gross! Grow up and have some manners, would you?" Give him The Look. Walk away muttering "ew! disgusting!"

He does it a second time? Have a can of air freshener ready in your office, and immediately blast it at him. Tell him to get out of your office and not return until he leans basic manners.
  • DINO1264
    DINO1264 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I suggest you pee on his leg in a show of dominance.
  • lovebizaar
    lovebizaar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would never confront someone about why they farted around me, i would have chalked it up to they're weird, and laughed..WTF
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i would of never confronted him or her....talk about awkward....

i would buy a box of gas ex and fabreze and leave it on his desk with a smiley face note
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Bed-wetting, cruelty to animals, fire setting, and farting. What you really need to worry about is someone who pulls off farting in your office while looking you in the eye and still manages to be charming.

Would people feel differently if Jeff had fessed up to her in the confrontation that the reason he left without a word was because the fart was just a prelude and it was an actual bathroom emergency?
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Comedy gold right here

Definitely wouldn't confront someone about their fart, however I would have busted out laughing the moment it happened
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    .'Not just a little one. But he enthusiastically pushes out a four or five second long fart, all the while staring me right in the eyes.'

I had to read your original post to get the proper idea. But 4-5 seconds long fart?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Bed-wetting, cruelty to animals, fire setting, and farting. What you really need to worry about is someone who pulls off farting in your office while looking you in the eye and still manages to be charming.

Would people feel differently if Jeff had fessed up to her in the confrontation that the reason he left without a word was because the fart was just a prelude and it was an actual bathroom emergency?

This. C'mon people... **** happens (pun intended). Give the man a break!
    He does it a second time? Have a can of air freshener ready in your office, and immediately blast it at him. Tell him to get out of your office and not return until he leans basic manners.

OP, I would highly recommend NOT doing this because it is incredibly rude, demeaning, and childish, and in my experience, something like this would quickly become an issue for HR.
  • JTUSAFRet
    JTUSAFRet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    After reading this again, I also think that he was embarrassed and was to socially awkward to repond appropriately. Confronting him is only going to make him defensive.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    FART POLICE! LMAO:laugh:
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Yesterday, I posted about an individual in my company who farted in my presence without comment. I have an update worth remembering. For those of you who haven't read it, here you go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1315222-should-i-be-offended

After asking, I received many varied thoughts on actions I should take. Some thought I should be offended. Others assumed he was in love with me. Even a few suggested a fart back. While I am not a person to automatically retaliate or jump to conclusions, I decided to confront the enthusiastic farter, aka Jeff.

I made an excuse to walk over to his building and drop off some supplies. I chatted with another sales rep, asking casually how Jeff was doing in his new position. The guy replied, "He is weird as f#@k.". Obviously I was not surprised. So I made my way to Jeff's office, and knocked on the door. He told me to come in.

"Hey Jeff, I wanted to say thank you for the donut. Did you have some left over from national donut day?"

"No."

"Okay... Why did you give only me one?"

"Because you like them."

Now get this, I have never told him I like donuts. How does he know that?

"Well thank you. I have something to ask you."

"Yeah?"

"Why did you fart in my office? Why didn't you say anything? Is that why you gave me the donut?"

HE LOOKED ME DEAD IN THE EYES AND SAID

"I never farted in your office."

"Yes. You did."

"No, no I didn't."

"You farted Jeff, you farted and stared me right in the eyes and farted. No apology. And your donut doesn't make it okay."

Not sure why, but at this point I was really pissed off. Why fart and not even be honest? It isn't like I can imagine smells!

"Oh, yeah. That. Yeah. I farted."

"Why did you look at me while you did it? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I don't know, I didn't think you were policing my farts."

"Well, please bring air freshener next time, or use the restroom twenty feet away from my office."

Then he has this little attitude.

"I will fart where and when I want to."

"Don't fart in my office."

"Okay, I'll fart outside your door."

"What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing. Don't tell me how to fart."

Then, can't even make this up, he tried to get up and give me a hug.

I walked out of there and sat at my desk, still utterly confused. I may have met the wierdest f&*%ing person on the entire planet. What do I do now? I don't even know.

No way. I feel like I was reading a scene from the Office.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Who appointed you to do the fart shaming and smell policing?