Yoga seen as "Un-Manly"

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Now that I've read some comments, it's a shame that there are so many closed-minded people. Yoga has helped me in every facet of my life. I run, surf, powerlift, and now practice yoga. Yoga has benefitted all my other activities and more, actually. It helps me with mental focus and teaches me how to breathe in difficult physical situations. There are many benefits to practicing yoga. It's really too much to mention. It's been amazing for me.

Yeah, this is great! I relate to this. Yoga really helped me be able to reduce stress in my life and is very helpful to me mentally and emotionally. There really is something to learning how to relax while in motion like that. It helps me so much with undoing all the tension and tightness that can form in my muscles, and keeps my posture good. I also love balancing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, I did Yoga a couple times; it was mostly to get me to relax after the long day I had during my stint as a student teacher. Well, it wasn't relaxing during; during beat me the hell up. Afterwards though- that was heaven. Anyway, I decided to post it on Facebook because I wanted to honor the person who was teaching it to me (and the other student teachers at the school). She did it pro bono and I wanted to thank her for her time and work.

Well, that **** backfired. I should have known better than to put anything on Facebook. Next thing I know, my friends and my brother started harping on my *kitten* about how much of a girl I was becoming and how it's just a bunch of "liberal bull****". They basically emasculated me and chastised her online. I chewed them out and apologized profusely to the instructor, but I was just so pissed off. I enjoyed Yoga and no one has the right to degrade me for doing it.

Wow, that's awful. I know it is so wonderful how yoga teachers will do that. We have yoga classes here like that. They call it karma yoga. It is a group of yoga teachers and one of them teaches the class each week for free.
  • pwelch117
    pwelch117 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yoga is now my go-to exercise. In a good week I take 4 classes at my local studio. One of these sessions is "Men's Yoga" and none of these are easy. Even the "Gentle" yoga classes tax your muscles. I recently burned 640 calories in a 75 minute Core class. Average burn 350-400 calories per session. Great workout, great sweat and the benefits are timeless. Mind/Body workouts are awesome.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's awful.
    Yea, pretty insulting to both girls and liberals that he took it negatively when he was told he was being like them ;).
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    If someone I didn't know had said those things to me, I would have shrugged it off. But I know these guys and they were doing it particularly to get my goat. Context clues are a thing, after all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Wow, that's awful.
    Yea, pretty insulting to both girls and liberals that he took it negatively when he was told he was being like them ;).

It sounds like they intended it negatively. So, that's on them, not him. He disliked what they were doing with it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Unmanly? Yoga? Pshaw.

Now *this* is unmanly:

10464246_10152530866159612_6864707131282235952_n.jpg

10426797_10152530866149612_5088115569114838751_n.jpg

But yoga? Nope.

(Random woot shirts from a woot-off...that I committed to myself to wear each for at least one day no matter what they were.)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I still don't get why people care what random other people think about stuff.

People think all kinds of stupid **** about all kinds of stupid ****. That's on them. Pity their ignorance and get on with your own business.
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before I take any fitness advice from you of any kind...

...I need to know if you're in better shape than I am.

What's your best 5k time?
    What's your deadlift 1RM?
    Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?
    Any relevant fitness-related medical problems I should know about?

I can run a 5k- i had back surgery and can't run without severe pain
    Dead lifts are out for the same reason
    My total cholesterol is around 240
    My BP is 120/70 on the average
    I have chronic back pain 24/7- how's that for a medial problem?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape . I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.

That's a cute little example of revisionist history there. How long did was one expected to follow that thread to get to the back pedaling?

So what you're saying is that if a person is in great shape you WILL follow whatever unpracticed, misinformed, broscience type advice that they spew?
    Careful...he has over 18k posts. Obviously at this point he has memorized every line ever written by anyone on MFP, so knows what is best for you
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get it every time. When I tell people I practice (and teach) Yoga, I get some kind of comment about my masculinity or a raised eyebrow from a lot of guys- followed by a crack about how I would look in Yoga pants...

I'll admit, I don't look like a "typical" Yoga practitioner and I have never worn Yoga pants. But if you think Yoga is not a manly exercise, you would be mistaken. Until it hit the West, most disciplines of Yoga were exclusively practiced by men. The exercises and breathing techniques are useful in nearly every other type of excercise as well.

What a lot of people don't know is that Yoga was actually the predecessor of Martial Arts. And a great deal of Martial Art exercises were developed from Yoga techniques. Yoga helps develop balance, muscle control, flexibility, stamina, breathing techniques and a myriad of other benefits. The animal styles of Kung Fu were direct descendants of Yoga techniques and are still practiced today.

Granted, the Western version of Yoga has been stygmatized as a predominantly female discipline. But if you stop there, you are doing yourself a disservice. The benefits of Yoga are immense, whether you are male or female. Excercise doesn't have a "sex" and you'd be amazed at the results you get after only a few days of practice.

And you don't HAVE to wear Yoga pants if you don't want to...

THANK YOU! lol my fiancée was always like this too, making fun of guys doing yoga, laughing whenever I asked him if he wanted to do a workout with me, ect. That is, until after he broke his leg playing hockey. Once he got the walking boot off and was able to put pressure on it, I convinced him to do yoga with me just once - only a half hour - just to help strengthen and stretch out his leg while rebuilding his muscle. He now love it. He'll do yoga with me anytime I ask now, he loves the way its helping and even thanked me for "showing him a new workout"!

Yoga is not just for women, or "unmanly" in any way! Its tough, it'll help build your strength and balance -- its great for athletes! Everyone should try it at least once.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?

Now, if you read MY ENTIRE post, instead of just the first sentence you would be able to correctly interpret that I was referring to people that spew unpracticed fitness advice that are out of shape . I've explained this later in that same post but I get sick of repeating myself.

That's a cute little example of revisionist history there. How long did was one expected to follow that thread to get to the back pedaling?

So what you're saying is that if a person is in great shape you WILL follow whatever unpracticed, misinformed, broscience type advice that they spew?
    Careful...he has over 18k posts. Obviously at this point he has memorized every line ever written by anyone on MFP, so knows what is best for you

Nah, its not memorization at all, it's merely that the really stupid and laughable stuff sticks out enough to be recalled when certain posters are encountered.

For example, you'll now stick out in my mind.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I go to a yoga class that is about half men and the teacher is a woman. It's perfect for me because although I'm really flexible, I have balance problems.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You know what's Manly? Not giving a damn what others think of your choice of exercise.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You know what's Manly? Not giving a damn what others think of your choice of exercise.

^Winning
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I still don't get why people care what random other people think about stuff.

People think all kinds of stupid **** about all kinds of stupid ****. That's on them. Pity their ignorance and get on with your own business.

Pretty much this. That's what I don't get about this thread. In two years I've never seen a negative comment about the manliness of yoga but everyone is rushing to contribute what some random stranger said that one time. It's folly wish for a world where no one does or says ignorant shish. Why let it affect you?
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Total cholesterol?
    Average blood pressure?

Nah, its not memorization at all, it's merely that the really stupid and laughable stuff sticks out enough to be recalled when certain posters are encountered.

For example, you'll now stick out in my mind.
    thank you for making my point for me
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've gone through many rounds of P90X and I still think there are about 15 of the toughest minutes in the entire program during the 90 minutes of Yoga. I really like it and do at least 1 day of Yoga every week. (If I'm doing the program or not.)
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was in the best shape ever when I did yoga at least once a week along with the cardio and strength I already do. I recently added it back in and it has helped tremendously with my running taking away some aches and pains I was starting to experience. As for manly or not, who the hell cares?
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    <---I don't about manly, but I'm really not very good at it! :laugh:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I just tore my calf muscle last month, as soon as I am able I will be doing yoga 1-2 times per week. If anyone doesn't like it they can kiss my @ss, I should have been doing it years ago to avoid crap like torn muscles.