What did you eat to get heavy?

Options

Replies

• Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mostly chocolate and biscuits, family sized packets and the whole pack would go. Every single day. I would eat this at work, at my desk.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, Taco bell, MacDonald's, all you can eat Chinese. Not eating during the day and then binging at night, not exercising, milk shakes. Dr. Pepper, CAKE oh how I love Cake. Homemade mac and cheese, velveta shells and cheese, chicken nuggets/popcorn chicken, little to no veggies. oh yes, I can't forget the chocolate.

ETA: I still eat those things, just in moderation and not every day.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    No one item, just too much of everything!
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a lot like you, never ate breakfast and half the time, due to work, never ate lunch so dinner was a free for all. I am also an emotional eater so I think for me, it was carbs. I am a carboholic, I will take them over anything else. I am trying to eat a mid morning mini meal now and lunch, right now it's easy. It's summer, I am off because I work for a school. When school starts in August I am back into the routine of no breakfast and lunch if I am lucky. I need to plan a new strategy before I go back, that is obvious!!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I gave myself the Val Kilmer treatment with Big Macs, pizza, and by drinking Ice Beer when I had stopped working out.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was always slim, never weighed more than 135 lbs. (grew up in SoCal) until 2000 when I had a nervous breakdown and they put me on meds that put weight on overnight. Literally. I gained 20 lbs. in one week! I had to concentrate on my mental health so my physical health sort of went out the window. After going off the medication, I had moved to the east coast and found out what real bread tastes like! LOVED THAT. Even though I was exercising, the food kept going in. Pasta, bags of chips at one sitting, fried food. Never sweets though. I know I'll never be able to be left alone with a bag of Lays again.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me so hungry.

Everything sounds about right. When I lived alone, I couldn't keep food in the house. Literally. I would go to the grocery store and then nothing would be left in a week or so. Nothing. If it was in my house, I would eat it. Sandwiches, chips, popcorn, grilled cheese. Ice cream. After I met my husband it was fast food constantly. French fries are and will always be my weakness.

Now it is Salads, lean proteins, vegetables, fruit and lots of egg beater omelets with still a good amount of cheese. That is where I get most my fats. No bread, pasta, only rice in sushi and once in a blue moon a small baked potato.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after leaving home for college! Even though I was on my hs swim team and worked out daily, my family has TERRIBLE, "southern" eating habits. So much fried food, starches, fast food... My little brother and I both lost 30+ our freshman years of college.

When I started logging for the first time I realized I was eating over 3000 calories daily, during the middle of the week, not even on weekends... which I'm sure were way more...

It sounds like you're doing an awesome job!! Just be careful, if you dramatically change your eating habits really suddenly, it's less likely to stick. It's okay to take a long time getting healthy and slowly form habits you'll keep your whole life :)
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would get fast food to eat during my commute home then go home and eat dinner and lots of beer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What did you eat to get heavy?

I ate a lot of food...I ate large portions and anything and everything. There is no on particular food or food group or macro or whatever that makes you fat. Over-consumption of energy makes you fat.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just ate and drank what I wanted. It was nothing to go out 2-4 nights a week, and eat burgers & fries, and a few beers. That was probably an easy 2000 calories right there. That doesn't even cover breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I would just graze all day. Breakfast was a healthier meal, but high fiber cereal, fruit, and skim milk can still add up to over 500 calories. Then I would get hungry in a few hours.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My problem wasn't food - it was beverages. I used to drink 4-5 cups of coffee (with sugar and fancy creamer) a day, in addition to about 6 Dr. Peppers a day. That was............a lot of calories, just in drinks.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't the amount of food, but the lack of exercise.
  • theholeyone
    theholeyone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just huge portions really, and no exercise. Main culprits being take-out, crisps and alcohol.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Booze. And drunk snacks. Nothing hit the spot in college quite like a spicy fried chicken sandwich with cheese, pickles, ketchup, and mayo. I managed to carry on the tradition well into adulthood with a bottle of wine a night plus whatever sounded good on seamless.
  • Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Very salty Asian food. If I eat Asian food on Sunday I carry the additional 2 pounds until mid-week it is very devastating!! :mad: Every good thing I do during the week is waste.
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think that I mostly drank myself fat. I used to drink anywhere from 3-5, 12 ounce cans of pop everyday, usually Coke or Mountain Dew. That is a whopping 140-170 for each can. I was thin my entire life, then in my mid 20's I started drinking a lot of pop and I started putting on weight gradually, anywhere from 5-10 pounds a year. It didn't seem like a lot of weight at first but now I am definitely paying the price at age 34. I have about 40 more lbs to lose.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Going to university where the drinking age is 18 it was a combination of beer, beer and more beer.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eating out way too often and fast food; although it's more complex than that- as it is for most people.

Without getting into the specifics, I gained about 50 lbs from poor food choices and lack of regular activity. Another 25 lbs or so was due to anti-depressants. Proud to say both of those are in the past now and I work out and eat healthily.

I'm seeing a fairly decent weight loss as a result of just eating like a normal woman, for the first time in about six years. A food scale could have saved me so much trouble if I had known how helpful they actually are in measuring portions. Moderation, ftw.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fast Food.

My mom worked a lot when I was younger so after work she would by fast food for dinner. I stopped getting kids meals in like the 3rd grade. (She has since become a health nut and all organic. I miss living in the house now since it's like a Baron's and Sprouts dreamland)

Once I got my own car... It was a wrap. I had a friend who NEVER gained weight. We would get fast food everyday after school. EVERY DAY. I'm talking Wiener Schnitzel, taco bell, jack in the box, in-n-out, etc. We wouldn't get one thing. We would each get multiple food items...

Then as I got older, I started getting breakfast fast food in the morning before work. Working a desk job, and eating up to 700 calories by 9 am... I packed on the weight.

Ever since moving out on my own I rarely eat fast food now, and when I do... My stomach does not like it. Now I cook all my meals. No Microwave meals, no "fully cooked" frozen meals either. And I learned about MODERATION! Which was something I greatly lacked.