What did you eat to get heavy?

Options

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I gained and lost surrounding the same issue (kind of). So when I was 19 I met my significant other . . . and we did the regular, normal dating stuff: dinner, movies, going out with friends, wing nights, etc. My SO is 4 years older than me so he was already out of post-secondary and working full time while I was still in university; and my life was busy: I had school, work, him, my friends and my family. I didn't have time for the gym, or at least I didn't make time.

So 3+ years later worth of this life style and I gained a lot of weight. Then, about 2 months before I finished graduate school, my SO and I broke up - now we didn't think this was going to be a break or anything this was a break up. I moped around for a while, I mean I had invested 3 years of my life into this relationship. But then, I realized I put so much into everything else I couldn't have had time to put anything into ME. And so, my mom said to me one day: you used to cycle and run and that made you happy, you should try to get back into it. I had all this time on my hands so I did - and it made me happier.

I also was eating out less, being more mindful of what I am actually eating rather than just going because everyone else is. I was happier.

A couple months after dropping my first 50, my SO and I started talking again. He hadn't seen me in about 8 months so when I showed up for coffee he was shocked. This isn't why he wanted to work on things, he genuinely missed me as I did him BUT when I was losing and doing this for myself, I was happier and now that I look back I realize those last 6 months or so before we ended things I was miserable, stressed all the time and we argued constantly. Now that I have the time invested in me, I am happier.

So being happier means I want to continually work on this because it's the best thing I've ever done for me. I know this isn't about eating to make me heavy, but it's the things that were going on in my life, causing me to eat out all the time and not investing in myself that caused me to gain the weight. Now that I have researched what it is I am putting in my body and the nutrition and excercise my body needs, I am making progress and investing in my future. And my SO is extremely supportive because he can see the difference doing this really makes for me, as a person. AND as an added bonus, I am actually smaller now than when we first met.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    damn near every night, four eggo waffles smothered in maple syrup and untold quantities of butter.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Honestly I ate all the same stuff I do now, just a lot more of it and a lot more often.

Bingo.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot or food.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Honestly I ate all the same stuff I do now, just a lot more of it and a lot more often.

Bingo.

That^
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How I gained: Antidepressant and lots of ice cream and sweets, thyroid removal and getting older. I've never been a big "food" person, but boy did I love my sugar. I had just started taking the weight off when I broke my ankle. That put me out of commission for a few months and back into my old habits. I gained about 35 lbs in about five years. I've lost almost 20 of it and am just working on that last 10 now.

How I lost it: Tracking my food intake and exercise. I eat as cleanly as I can. I almost never eat out, but there isn't much out there that doesn't make me sick these days. I've been heavy on the cardio the last few years, but now I'm adding much more strength training. Too soon to see results from the added strength training, but I'm feeling great!
  • onecatleadstoanother
    onecatleadstoanother Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I'm going to share lol....
    CHIPS a bag a night (a big bag, not just a single serving bag), chocolate, cinnabun, fast food too often and in big portions. Once I realized that I needed to lose weight I got scared all the food I liked would be taken away (before I learned that moderation exists) and I'd go to McDonalds for breakfast and order a McGriddle and pancakes and the biggest coffee with cream and sugar, hit up tim hortons for a bagel or donut, I ate chicken pot pies at lunch and huge steaks for dinner. No fruit, no veg, no control.

It's interesting now to look back on my logs from a year ago and see how much my habits have changed (most of the time). I'd skip lunch so I could fit hickory sticks into my journal. I'm still no where near where I want to be, but we're all a work in progress.

Edit because I forgot my insomnia snacks - 2 McDonalds burgers and a caramel sundae in the middle of the night
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For me it was a culmination of things.... I would go for the week eating barely anything, then when we had family get togethers, I would eat all day long.... If I tried to stop and add up the calories that I would eat on Sundays it would probably give me a heart attack just thinking about it!

I also went from being very active to barely moving..... I became pretty lethargic and just didn't care to move if I didn't absolutely have to.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    fried foods
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fast food. I spent about 300 dollars per month on fast food alone.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Mainly Texas cheese fries from Chili's, ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, and entirely too much chocolate milk (my pregnancy craving).
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    beer, wings, wings, beer.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    sugar and wheat
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Whole foods.

Whole pizzas....whole pies....whole cakes....whole six packs of Minute Maid Lemonade...you get the picture.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, chips, cookies, popcorn, etc. combined with overall naivety of health and nutrition, calorie counting, etc.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit of drinking a ton of wine- Especially Moscato which was so tasty that I could down two bottles right there- hello 800-1,000 calories.. then while drinking snacking is key (so you don't get sick, duh!) and those snacks were breads, chips, etc. It took me only from March of 2013 to Dec 2013 to put on 30lbs. I started my lifestyle change in January and have lost 15lbs since then. I am shooting to lose about 30 more.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Beer. And wine, and whisky. And stuff from Denny's.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How i gained:

BEER AND CIDER AND MARGARITAS <--- mainly
    tortilla chips, potato chips
    white pasta and butter
    late night ordering after a night out (boneless wings, pizza)
    reubens and fries almost every time i ate out
    condiments on everything (ketchup, ranch, bbq sauce, honey mustard)
    bags of popcorn
    hungover brunches (cheesy omelette, hash browns, buttered toast)
    peanut butter out of the jar
    ramen

not changing my ways when i graduated college and started a desk job

^basically the hallmark of college living. i now reserve these things as once in a whiles and eat a lot more vegetables, lean protein, seeds, nuts....moderation is a hard-learned but great thing
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How I gained:

- Living in a hotel / office 5 days a week (no homemade food Mon-Fri)
    - Working 18hrs days
    - Drinks with dinner
    - NOT exercising
  • jen076
    jen076 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It was mainly the sugary foods like chocolate and cookies and all that. I am still struggling with it but just have to take it one day at a time. I try to find alternatives too to help me get my fix. :)